New but not new - Year 1 of 5!

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It certainly is, Cicatrix....and it's a goal I am looking forward to achieving!!

& I KNOW that you will :D:money:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    Yup, you know it Beanie! I've never been one to shy away from a challenge!
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    Morning all - TGI Friday! For a "short" week, it certainly feels rather long!

Moneywise, doing ok - certainly could be worse. The car passed it's MOT yesterday so nothing more than the basic cost there. £190 car tax has come out of my account today, though, so although necessary, it feels quite horrid this close to Christmas!

£10.54 from jobspotter and £1.79 from Quidco hit my Amazon account yesterday. The "new house extras" fund is coming along nicely. I've also requested another £10 from SB and after a couple of decent surveys yesterday on there am reasonably on my way to the next one.

Clutter wise, I sorted out the airing cupboard last night. There is a bag to be taken to the charity shop over the weekend, and some sheets that have been relegated to carpet/furniture protectors for painting which will come in useful next week when DH tackles the hall! DH also sorted through some of his clothes in the wardrobe and I shall do similar tomorrow - probably resulting in another bag ready to go to the Charity shop! We are getting there!

We also started planning one of our "bucket list" trips last night - something that will hopefully come to fruition in about 18 months, so that is something to look forward to and to enjoy researching (and saving for!!)

Happy Friday everyone.....almost the weekend. Hang on in there!
  • blocpartyfan
    Options

We also started planning one of our "bucket list" trips last night - something that will hopefully come to fruition in about 18 months, so that is something to look forward to and to enjoy researching (and saving for!!)

Happy Friday everyone.....almost the weekend. Hang on in there!

what a great idea - a positive thing to focus on which will be so easy to do because of all the hard work in slaying the mortgage best! Much better than my daydream conversation with DH of how we will spend the lottery money we might one day win :rotfl:
    Mortgage when started:
    Jan 2013: £200,999; 2nd Jan 2018: £137,500; 2nd Jan 2019: £119,000; 2nd Jan 2020: £98,800; 22nd May 2020: £81,000; 27th July 2020: £71,500
    Mortgage free day planned for: [STRIKE]25th June 2025 (day before my 40th birthday!)[/STRIKE] 31st December 2021
    [/STRIKE] 31st January 2022
    Mortgage free: 2nd June 2021!!!!!!
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    Oh believe me, we have those conversations too! You've still got to dream!

However, one thing life and it's curveballs has taught us is that we do not want to be one of those couples that say "we nearly did that" or "we thought about that but didn't get round to it".....life is just too short, but we also don't want to get (back) into debt in order to achieve it all, so we have to find ways of doing some amazing things in the most effective way....and that makes it all the more fun!

Life is good!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    However, one thing life and it's curveballs has taught us is that we do not want to be one of those couples that say "we nearly did that" or "we thought about that but didn't get round to it".....life is just too short, but we also don't want to get (back) into debt in order to achieve it all, so we have to find ways of doing some amazing things in the most effective way....and that makes it all the more fun!

Life is good!
    Absolutely! I have a poem by Andrew Marvell in the back of my head when I think about this stuff (only an English graduate, I know, sorry!) :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    It's just a case of trying to keep things real along the way - allowing for saving, overpaying, general costs of living, as well as doing the fun stuff. There is only so much money to go around so we have to make the most of what we have, spend it wisely, make a bit more where we can, and prioritise what is right for each of us. No rights, no wrongs - previously my priority was (as you know) skiing for the kids and many thought that was daft/irresponsible etc, but it didn't stop me tackling my other responsibilities - bills were always paid, the car was always taxed, etc. There are ways to achieve what we each want to achieve - we just have to work out what they are and what we are prepared to do - and not to do - in order to get there!

Anyway - I had earmarked a little more money in case the car failed it's MOT and because it wasn't needed, I have made an overpayment of £100 to the mortgage today. See....I can be sensible!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a happy weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Betterthanever
    Options
    Thank you, beanie....and you too!

My latest SB £10 reward has arrived....budgets have been worked on for the next few months, and all is well with the world! I'm thinking I might try my hand at eBay again tomorrow....another thing I've not been on for many years!
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great news on the car. Mine's being serviced on Thursday and the brakes feel in need of attention:( Hope its not too costly but needs must.

Love the idea of bucket list trips! Having things to look forward to keep your going and makes your efforts feel worthwhile. Might do a little holiday research myself:)

Enjoy your weekend xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure