Address used for fraud; do I need to worry?

Hello

Newbie here, never had any problems before but an Insurance company has written to my address, to a name I don't recognise. They have confirmed this was attempted fraud (bit worrying as I used them myself couple of years ago) and suggested I protect myself from any further attempts. As this wasn't an attempt to use my identity, just my address, is there anything I really need to worry about?

Thanks

Comments

• No. .
  • Hello

Newbie here, never had any problems before but an Insurance company has written to my address, to a name I don't recognise. They have confirmed this was attempted fraud (bit worrying as I used them myself couple of years ago) and suggested I protect myself from any further attempts. As this wasn't an attempt to use my identity, just my address, is there anything I really need to worry about?

Thanks

Why are you opening other peoples post during this festive season?

How can you be sure that the letter you have read is not an attempt at fraud itself? :eek:

All seems a bit odd, if you ask me...
    Anyway, as the letter wasn't addressed to you, nothing in it applies to you.

Enjoy the festive season. Only a few days left until it's all over for another year.

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • FestiveJoy wrote: »
    Why are you opening other peoples post during this festive season?

How can you be sure that the letter you have read is not an attempt at fraud itself? :eek:

All seems a bit odd, if you ask me...
    Anyway, as the letter wasn't addressed to you, nothing in it applies to you.

Enjoy the festive season. Only a few days left until it's all over for another year.

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
    If mail comes to my address, it gets opened. I don’t care who’s name is on it.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • If mail comes to my address, it gets opened. I don’t care who’s name is on it.

The bonus to that is that it is not illegal if you have reason to believe it is suspicious.
  • thanks for responses. I'll report back if anything more comes of this. Happy New Year!
  • Majestic12
    Majestic12 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Smoothape wrote: »
    The bonus to that is that it is not illegal if you have reason to believe it is suspicious.

Can you link to the legislation? I was always udnet the belief it's illegal to open someone else's mail.
  • Majestic12 wrote: »
    Can you link to the legislation? I was always udnet the belief it's illegal to open someone else's mail.
    Your'e belief is wrong.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Majestic12 wrote: »

How would the addressee know post for them had been opened eg a former of where you currently reside ?

It isnt illegal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport