Haven't been paid for four weeks?

Hi all

I'm new to this site, and found really helpful advice for a recent parking fine issue I'm dealing with, just by browsing. I thought I'd register and it just so happens I'm also dealing with a pay issue at work.

I have a second job, working 8 hours a week that I've had for two years(although I've only just recently dropped down to 8 hours after acquiring a new job). After realising I hadn't been paid for two weeks, I contacted the HR manager to let her know. She said "I looked at the payroll and the tax office must have made an adjustment through head office as they have taken tax back. you will need to ring the tax office and ask them why?"

So, I rang the tax office and spoke to a woman who said that they would never just take money without notifying me directly, certainly not 100% of my pay (albeit only only being one day a week) She also couldn't see how I owed them money.

Work has always made it difficult to get our pay slips (especially with my working hours). We have to request them, so I normally just get them in batches of a few months at a time. I contacted my HR manager to let her know what the tax office had to say and that I'd pop in to collect my pay slips during the day some time to see how the breakdown of my pay had worked out.

By this time I now haven't been paid for three weeks and have just worked a forth week, that I should be getting paid for at the end of this week. I went in to collect my pay slips today and spoke to the HR manager as I had some spare time. It now transpires that I am owed tax and the tax office tried to add it to my pay slip and during this process there was a glitch that made my pay come through as zero? My HR manager then went on to say that they have since wiped the previous payment effort with tax adjustment and tried to process my pay as usual and it still hasn't worked??

Is this !!!!!!!!? Or does it seem that they are having genuine problems trying to pay me? Previously when I've been owed tax they just send a cheque? She said that they have also just tried to pay me for the shift I just worked this weekend and that also didn't go through?

Thanks for any advice I get on this subject and sorry for the long winded initial post, just trying to get enough info out there without people having to ask a load of questions to make a judgement on the situation.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did it work out if so? My gut feeling is that something doesn't add up somewhere along the line and the my employers are trying to cover their tracks a little.

Comments

• CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    dunholmer wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm new to this site, and found really helpful advice for a recent parking fine issue I'm dealing with, just by browsing. I thought I'd register and it just so happens I'm also dealing with a pay issue at work.

I have a second job, working 8 hours a week that I've had for two years(although I've only just recently dropped down to 8 hours after acquiring a new job). After realising I hadn't been paid for two weeks, I contacted the HR manager to let her know. She said "I looked at the payroll and the tax office must have made an adjustment through head office as they have taken tax back. you will need to ring the tax office and ask them why?"

So, I rang the tax office and spoke to a woman who said that they would never just take money without notifying me directly, certainly not 100% of my pay (albeit only only being one day a week) She also couldn't see how I owed them money.

Work has always made it difficult to get our pay slips (especially with my working hours). We have to request them, so I normally just get them in batches of a few months at a time. I contacted my HR manager to let her know what the tax office had to say and that I'd pop in to collect my pay slips during the day some time to see how the breakdown of my pay had worked out.

By this time I now haven't been paid for three weeks and have just worked a forth week, that I should be getting paid for at the end of this week. I went in to collect my pay slips today and spoke to the HR manager as I had some spare time. It now transpires that I am owed tax and the tax office tried to add it to my pay slip and during this process there was a glitch that made my pay come through as zero? My HR manager then went on to say that they have since wiped the previous payment effort with tax adjustment and tried to process my pay as usual and it still hasn't worked??

Is this !!!!!!!!? Or does it seem that they are having genuine problems trying to pay me? Previously when I've been owed tax they just send a cheque? She said that they have also just tried to pay me for the shift I just worked this weekend and that also didn't go through?

Thanks for any advice I get on this subject and sorry for the long winded initial post, just trying to get enough info out there without people having to ask a load of questions to make a judgement on the situation.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did it work out if so? My gut feeling is that something doesn't add up somewhere along the line and the my employers are trying to cover their tracks a little.

Hi

Difficult to know what is going on here, but agree it sounds suspicious. They may be having genuine administrative problems in trying to pay you but as you say it has gone on a long time and why not just give you a cheque for the outstanding amount? Alternatively they could be having cash flow problems and making excuses not to pay you because of it.

It may be best to consider raising a formal grievance about this if it isn't resolved very soon. You could include with it the issue about delay in providing pay slips.

Please follow the link below to the item on dealing with problems at work :

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_problems_at_work_e/dealing_with_grievances_at_work.htm
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure