Insurance claim lodged against my car

Options
Came home today and my wife said she had an altercation with a motorcyclist after he fell off his bike behind her whilst she was turning right. She was in traffic almost stopped and indicating right when she heard the bike hit the ground.

The rider is saying she hit him and knocked him off his bike but there's no damage to the car and the bike like I said was behind her on the floor on the same side of the road not beside the car.

I wasn't there so don't know any more details but can see the car is undamaged despite his apparent insistence that she hit him.

He is making a claim on our insurance but not sure if he's just trying it on.

Can we contest this claim or will it automatically affect our premium? Should we contact our insurance company or will that just somehow make it look like we're accepting fault?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You MUST tell your insurers, it's a condition of the policy. Make it very clear to them that it was not your wife's fault.

Get your wife (sorry, ask her nicely) to write down as much detail as possible while it's still fresh in her mind. Draw diagrams of the scene, and/or take photos, and take photos of the undamaged car.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    She was minding her own business, "almost stationary", turning right... when a motorcyclist fell off behind her. And that was the first she knew of his existence.

Now, it might just be me, but I'm seeing a fairly obvious scenario.

Remind her about mirrors, eh?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »

As in, the bike was too close- maybe going for an overtake past a junction, saw her indicator , braked too hard for the appalling road surface, locked the front wheel and dropped it?

Any number of things could happen.

The rider seems to be claiming that she hit him, which is a bit difficult if he was behind her all the time.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    She was minding her own business, "almost stationary", turning right... when a motorcyclist fell off behind her. And that was the first she knew of his existence.

Remind her about mirrors, eh?

Where does the OP say that?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What damage is there to his bike/him?

How does he allege she hit him? Reversing into him? Cars back end swung out when turning? Turning right into his path?

Far too vague on details to even begin and ascertain fault.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • johnsmith3
    Options
    @Car 54. Thanks for the advice. Have notified insurer and made it clear on our position.
  • johnsmith3
    Options
    The only damage to the bike was a dent on (presumably) the fuel tank area where it hit the ground. Feel bad for the old boy but apparently brand new bike and brand new gear so it's possible he hasn't ridden for a few years and just got spooked and as above maybe just locked a wheel or something. Hard to say as nobody actually saw what happened and there's no evidence of a collision having taken place. Insurance company said they'll let us know if he makes a claim and we'll see what, if anything, he says
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    johnsmith3 wrote: »
    The only damage to the bike was a dent on (presumably) the fuel tank area where it hit the ground. Feel bad for the old boy but apparently brand new bike and brand new gear so it's possible he hasn't ridden for a few years and just got spooked and as above maybe just locked a wheel or something. Hard to say as nobody actually saw what happened and there's no evidence of a collision having taken place. Insurance company said they'll let us know if he makes a claim and we'll see what, if anything, he says

There's more than enough evidence given what you've posted so far.

However there's no evidence of contact between the two vehicles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure