Default notice question

Hi,

Due to an oversight I received a default notice after incorrectly cancelling a direct debit and missing one payment.

It seems to me that Premium Credit (the lender) were quite hasty to send me that after just one missed payment.

What are the triggers for sending a DN? Can they do so after missing just one payment?

Is a DN the same as an actual default? If I paid up plus the charge and re set up the direct debit within the 14 days they gave me, did my account actually go into default? i.e., is a default notice effectively the same as a default?

Thanks
Joe

Comments

• Hi Joe,

As far as I am aware, a DN is your 14 days notice that the account will be defaulted if you do not pay the account arrears in full before the 14 days expires. If you pay up, then the account will not be defaulted. You will still have a 'late payment' marker on your credit file, but at least it won't be a 'default' marker
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bump to hide more spam.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you have missed a payment date, you have defaulted on the agreement, and they have correctly sent you a notice, as stated you can still avoid this getting defaulted. Usually Defaults are 3-6 months after the last payment and your last payment was probably almost 2 months ago. There is no specific number of missed payments before they issue one, so it may be a case of making that payment or speaking to them if its an ongoing issue.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Brierlyjoe wrote: »
    Hi,

Due to an oversight I received a default notice after incorrectly cancelling a direct debit and missing one payment.

It seems to me that Premium Credit (the lender) were quite hasty to send me that after just one missed payment.

What are the triggers for sending a DN? Can they do so after missing just one payment?

Is a DN the same as an actual default? If I paid up plus the charge and re set up the direct debit within the 14 days they gave me, did my account actually go into default? i.e., is a default notice effectively the same as a default?

Thanks
    Joe

No, they are separate things entirely, a DN gives you, usually 14 days to rectify the breech, ie, make your missed payment, if you do that by the specified date, then the breech will be treated as though it never happened.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks, that’s reassuring!

Let me know if there’s anything else I should consider.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure