Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I'd have been shocked if the result had been anything different
    I voted Leave and it makes sense to me. Problem is the metering of it, as at present there's no facility for this that I am aware of.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I voted Leave and it makes sense to me. Problem is the metering of it, as at present there's no facility for this that I am aware of.

Would it not be possible to fit an Export meter, rather than a Generation meter, for any new installation after March 2019? So that just Export is measured and paid for.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Folk probably know about 'CIGS', light weight, cheap and low efficiency solar panels. Here's an article looking at the benefits and options available, such as flexible sheets of lightweight panels.

Sunflare’s Lightweight Solar Lets Solar Go Where It Couldn’t Go Before #SPI2018

My first thought was you buy a lightweight shed, then cover the roof and 3 sides with sheets of this?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Just a comment, or out loud thought, but I was having a nose at some Ikea bits and bobs, and like a dog spotting a squirrel I got distracted by the solar install reference.

Only a quick play but for a normal roof layout (not complicated, presumably for scaffolding costs) I priced up a 4.35kWp system (15 290Wp black panels) for about £5.5k.

In no way wishing this to seem like an advert, but that seems reasonable to me, and certainly a starting point for referencing prices when we see some of the silly quotes people new to PV come on here seeking advice about.

Again, just to clarify, not bigging up Ikea, but that gives us an approximate backstop reference when suggesting rough price targets - doesn't mean everyone should head to Ikea.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 2 November 2018 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Interesting article and package, showing subsidy free investment, Council's ability to look further ahead than some investors might be able to, and the various uses of the combined storage. Also the advantages that a council may have, such as owned land etc.

UK’s second subsidy-free solar farm completed by West Sussex Council using battery storage
    The Westhampnett project combines 7.4MW of solar, comprised of panels from Hanwha Q Cells, with a 4.4MW/4.06MWh battery storage unit from Tesvolt on a closed 35 acre landfill site close to a local grid connection and owned by the council, offering low land costs for the project.

Edit - Further (out loud) thoughts, but:

owned land - tick box
    low value / unusable land - tick box
    close to a grid connection - tick box

I wonder how many locations there are like this in the UK? I'm going to assume 100's, possibly 1,000's?

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Having already exceeded their 2020 PV target by ~50% (165GW v's 105GW), China might go even further:

China May Increase Its 2020 Solar Target To 200 Gigawatts Or Higher
    China’s National Energy Administration has floated the idea that it might increase its 2020 solar target to at least 210 gigawatts (GW), and potentially as high as 270 GW, in a move which will significantly impact China’s annual capacity additions and, thus, global capacity additions and solar PV manufacturing.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    No details but a Govt Minister saying they are looking at some sort of payment for exported PV leccy when the FiT scheme ends:

" ..... I completely agree with him that solar power should not be provided to the Grid for free, and that's why I will shortly be announcing the next steps for small scale renewables."

[Source disclaimer - originally posted on the Navitron forum.]

• Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,138 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Ooops! Not good news by the sound of it!
    Solar will face the “greatest potential impact” from new proposals by Ofgem to apply fixed residual charges to all final demand users and end the Embedded Benefits for smaller generators under its Targeted Charging Review (TCR).
    https://www.solarpowerportal.co.uk/news/list
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options

The link goes to a Page Not Found.

I found the article here.
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Thanks ASB, I've changed the link on my post also. Reckon the earlier link may have been too long for copy and paste to handle!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback