50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Options

Comments

• MarcusPiercy1970
    Options
    Yes having a set end date for retirement and a annual pension target is key.
    I only have a modest state pension from a early period of work but have managed my SIPP fund by DIY investing for years successfully. I love being in control and following the investment trends.

I find out the best performing funds and get investment ideas looking at Trustnet,com and Fundlight.com among others, each week. Morningstar is good but you get little focus. You can steer clear of the duds, keep diversified, and learn a lot. I don't bother with individual shares, but stick to collective investment funds (Unit Trusts/ OEICs) to reduce the risks.

IFAs are of good use, but not to manage my investments. The only person that cares for my money is ME. You can make sure using providers like Hargreaves Lansdown that you I don't pay upfront fees for each investment.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

sukysue- I stayed for the first time on Saturday, found a local pub that does food and real ale, food is finished by the time I get there, had a couple of pints though. Getting up a couple of hours later than I would if I was commuting and having a 10 minute drive to work made a big difference to how much less tired I felt during my shift.

Mnd- I don't know if having lots of bottles will make much difference I just wanted a bigger choice, generally I have no more than 2 glasses in any one "session" each probably equivalent to a pub double as otherwise it burns my stomach, taste buds like it stomach doesn't! I thought build up the collection while earning, I always buy the special offer brands.

Marcus- I think having a target amount and timescale is important, I've got figures worked out, ideas to get there and now working to achieve them. This is my journey to see if I get there, people are welcome to share ideas/ constructive criticism/ aspirations with me. I'll have a look at the sites you suggested. I've made arrangement to see an IFA in December to go over my figures/ plans to see if he can make better suggestions. What figures are you looking to achieve?

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent news CRV , l hope you are very comfy staying with your colleague . The commute sounds much better for you too. Hope you are enjoying your preparing for the promised land of milk & honey lol !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • crv1963
    edited 14 October 2018 at 9:09AM
    Options
    Hi,

A little update-

Spending:- Managed to keep the spends down to the essentials, fuel and food until after the weeks shifts. So no guilty spends.

Saving:- Still not started any pensions/ savings plans. Starting to think that these will have to wait until the New Year as now it looks like Christmas is going to be a bit more expensive than I planned!

Sorting:- We've invested in a new shoe stand, so that my shoes can be in one place, everyday shoes/ trainers and boots for us both in one place, Mrs CRV already has a shoe wardrobe, storage area and under the spare bed, now I have a dedicated area too. Sorted the spare room out, the hall and today the rear porch, lots of junk (including shoes) thrown out.

Been sorting and cataloging our 7" singles, still a way to go yet but aim to finish that today too.

Other News:- Another colleague in my new Team is getting a lease car in December and mirroring my colleague from my old Team she heeds to dispose of her '06 plate car, again FSH, high miles but daily use. So I'm buying it off of her to give to my other son. I had promised to get him one when I took other sons car down. Same rules, I buy, service/ MOT it and he taxes and insures it. Hopefully it will cost me around £800 all told like the one I bought for my other son.

Took Mrs CRV out yesterday to look at jukeboxes as she has wanted one that plays singles, as we have so many from our teens/ early 20s. Long story short paid the deposit of £100, balance due early December when delivered.

It had just been in the shop a few days and is not even overhauled yet, that will be done before delivery. It is quite nice from the early 80s- like our records, has lights that flash in time to the beat of the music etc. Net result, all my work Christmas savings of £200 pm and a bit more are spoken for.

So Christmas this year has gone way over budget £800 x 2 for cars for my sons, £2500 for Mrs CRV jukebox. But I have been saving (with work Christmas Club) so much as I expected to pay around £1500 for a jukebox and use the other £500 for sons and the rest of the family it isn't too hard a hit to take. I think if there is a bargain available (the cars) and it keeps Mrs CRV happy (the jukebox being higher spec than I'd planned) then as it is from earnings and isn't going to be a repeated cost I might as well spread a bit of happiness. In my view it is as well to get these things while I'm earning.

Have started putting presents away for everyone else, so spreading the cost out instead of a rush at the start of December. I have started buying things as I see them at reduced price in special offers if I can. I don't see the attraction of Gin, but everyone else seems to, so buying flavored bottles a couple a month as it keeps as well as chocolates and the like.

Hens are still laying although I expect they will start being a bit hit and miss as the daylight hours reduce.

Sukysue- sleeping near work definitely made a big difference, much fresher the next day at work, nights next week so I'll see if I sleep as well during the day.

That's all for now.
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have done really well CRV. I think having a grip on all the incomings & outgoings is a great start to preparing for retirement. The jukebox sounds fantastic. I would see that as an investment to be honest. It isn't going to depreciate imho. Things sound good for you and Mrs CRV am happy for you, keep going, the day you retire will be here before you know it !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • crv1963
    Options
    Hi All,

A bit late with my update, been busy with night shifts then picking up a couple of extra shifts over the weekend.

Spending Stuck with the plan to only spend on fuel and food- no cigarettes still, did buy the team some donuts and some home made jam from a colleague though.

Saving Used a voucher I was given to buy some books, I have a kindle but do like reading a proper book with pages! My last £200 goes into the work "Christmas savings club" on payday so get my 2k back in Novembers pay, but it is spoken for with the jukebox.

Sorting Got my professional revalidation sorted and signed off, got a complement about how good it was, concise and reflective covering everything needed in an organised manner! Go me!

Have put some gifts away at a local craft shop to buy next week- I always buy wife, mother and sisters some hand made glass tree baubles every year, expensive but they do come out every year.

Stood and cleared the ironing pile- took a few hours but now we have none so a bit more space made in the spare bedroom.

Other News My shed is leaking! So have started researching building my own, got a few ideas for a Gothic Revival style one, hope that my woodwork skills match my vision when it comes to building it!

Thats all catch up again on payday!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry not to have been around, stress regarding my own am I retiring or not dilemma has been immense. Sorted now though.

Good on you for finding somewhere near by so you aren't having to commute to much. If you put a monetary value on your time, the economics of staying nearer would really show a big improvement.

Good luck on the shed, you never know that could become, in the words of a millenial, a side hustle. or second income if you prefer. Or how about gothic style hen houses - look an entire new business:rotfl:
  • thriftytracey
    Options
    Haven't posted for ages. I do like the Saving, Sorting, Spending and Simple Pleasures. Best wishes to ShyandRetiring.

Here is one from me

Spending - visited an arboretum last weekend and went out for meal with friends. Food was good but did not feel full due to small portions. Pub meals seem to be more expensive lately. Unfortunately the special offers are never at the weekends.

Saving - bought a drink at arboretum cafe and ate our own sandwiches. Bit naughty but at £7.50 for a Panini saved £15. Sadly, our 15 year old cat died so cancelled the pet insurance. She had a long and comfortable life though. It was very sudden - stopped eating and drinking on Saturday and just lay quietly. Sunday the same we were going to take her to vet on Monday but she died some time during the night. I do hope she wasn't suffering.

Sorting - going to pay a year's shortfall pension contribution for husband. He is 63 so need to get cracking make up missing years' due to opt out. He gets his pension aged 66.

Simple Pleasures - Autumn colour at arboretum. Some recent windy dog walks (dogs go mad when it is windy).

Here's another one:

Scared - one of my pensions dropped in value £5k this month thanks to global market jitters. The other ones have probably dropped too. Scared I won't be able to retire next year.
  • crv1963
    Options
    Hi Bugslet,

I saw your news on another board, at least you've given it a good go, and the commute a lot of goes! Good luck April will arrive faster than you know. I don't think my woodwork skills are good enough for a new line of work, but it'll keep me busy for a while.

thriftytracey, glad you enjoyed the autumn colours, we went out over the hills with the dogs last week to enjoy the colours. I too like the shyandretiring method of recording on here. I often take a flask if I'm out and if it isn't a spur of the moment trip a pack lunch.

Payday today once my bills etc are sorted I'll try and post over the weekend, working a stand alone shift tomorrow so have the full commute/ early night approach today.

Cheers

CRV
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you crv, I'll be about on your thread a bit more now that all the dithering from the customer is over!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback