new roof cost

we live in a block of flats they are 2 high I am on ground floor & bought my flat on council right to buy,the flat above me is also bought on right to buy off council.we have had a letter off council to say they are replacing the roof on the property ,the cost is £9000 split between the 2 flats ,we are both leaseholders of our properties this cost seems to be very high to us ..

Comments

• Need a better picture of how big the entire block is really & what the roof is like.

£9k sounds high, but the council will only use approved contractors who will always charge more for the hassle of doing work for the council (H&S box ticking etc.). It's also likely they could be going to town replacing timbers etc.
  • Worth getting your own quotes in just for comparison.

Is that possible? i.e. does the top floor flat have access to the roof/roof space?

Edit: a few years ago we were quoted around £8k for a new roof on a 3 bed terrace.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 September 2018 at 7:26PM
    You also fail to state where it is, or even if it's pitched. It might be a fair price for London, but not for Liverpool.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    is this your mother's flat that also needed £6,000 on its roof?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789909

you do seem rather unlucky with your RTB property empire
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family