PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    forgive me barging in, but ...

I took up knitting (again) a few years ago after 'inheriting' quantities of wool, much of which I managed to re-home but could not part with the mohair and sock wool.

You can see my accomplishments in my signature, but I've just done a tensions square for the mohair cardigan mentioned there, and it's coming out too long - width is right but over 32 rows it's half an inch too long.

One friend doesn't think it will matter too much, and I'm about to try on smaller needles to see how wide that comes out - but would the rest of you worry?

It will be quite :money: if it's OK on the smaller needles, because I haven't got a set of my favourites (detachable circulars) in the right size: bought a set with a few in, but they don't go quite large enough! Although to be fair I've found a lovely bright pink pair online, reasonably inexpensive!

For the most part, it’s the stitch count (width) that is important, not the length, but that is dependent upon the pattern. Does it give lots of instructions based on row count? (“Work 27 rows and then...”) Or does it just say “work until the sleeve measures xxx”? That will tell you whether you can get away using your existing needles.

In addition: have you washed your tension swatch? That will impact your stitch and row count.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    forgive me barging in, but ...

I took up knitting (again) a few years ago after 'inheriting' quantities of wool, much of which I managed to re-home but could not part with the mohair and sock wool.

You can see my accomplishments in my signature, but I've just done a tensions square for the mohair cardigan mentioned there, and it's coming out too long - width is right but over 32 rows it's half an inch too long.

One friend doesn't think it will matter too much, and I'm about to try on smaller needles to see how wide that comes out - but would the rest of you worry?

It will be quite :money: if it's OK on the smaller needles, because I haven't got a set of my favourites (detachable circulars) in the right size: bought a set with a few in, but they don't go quite large enough! Although to be fair I've found a lovely bright pink pair online, reasonably inexpensive!

I've just knitted a cardigan with raglan sleeves and this caused me terrible problems. I adjusted the back raglan so it was the correct length but trying to match the sleeve raglan length was impossible. After re knitting Raglan shaping three times I ripped it back changed the pattern to a straight sleeve. I never usually have to admit defeat but this time I did xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I just measure everything because I am very short. If you need to lengthen or shorten raglan sleeves it's best to do it in the first few rows.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    For the most part, it’s the stitch count (width) that is important, not the length, but that is dependent upon the pattern. Does it give lots of instructions based on row count? (“Work 27 rows and then...”) Or does it just say “work until the sleeve measures xxx”? That will tell you whether you can get away using your existing needles.
    I shall have a read again: most of it is 'until work measures' but I need to compare how many rows are shaped over the back / fronts and sleeves to see how much impact that might have.
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    In addition: have you washed your tension swatch? That will impact your stitch and row count.
    I haven't washed these tension squares yet, but I know if I do it on 40 degrees they will shrink (so I won't). Wool band says hand wash.
    plumduff55 wrote: »
    I've just knitted a cardigan with raglan sleeves and this caused me terrible problems. I adjusted the back raglan so it was the correct length but trying to match the sleeve raglan length was impossible. After re knitting Raglan shaping three times I ripped it back changed the pattern to a straight sleeve. I never usually have to admit defeat but this time I did xx
    Fortunately these are straight!
    I just measure everything because I am very short. If you need to lengthen or shorten raglan sleeves it's best to do it in the first few rows.
    Yes, Mum sometimes used to knit from the top down to make it easier to get the length right, but that's a bit complicated ...

Oh decisions, decisions. going to give up on the computer and go and finish smaller tension square and then decide. Although that 5.5 knitting needle did find its way into my basket regardless. It's bound to be useful later. :rotfl:

Slight panic when I couldn't find the wool. And then another decision: what colour to do the ribbing in? I know I haven't got enough of the main colour, so going to do ribbing in a contrast. Will knit the two fronts to assess how the wool's going, then probably the sleeves, then see how much of the back I can do. Choices are black or various purples, main colour is pinky reddish with a hint of blue ... Black of course is horrid to knit with, or course, especially in the evenings.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    I haven't washed these tension squares yet, but I know if I do it on 40 degrees they will shrink (so I won't). Wool band says hand wash.

Sometimes your swatch changes even with hand washing. I try and wash my swatch how I plan to wash the finished garment...e.g. hand wash + lay out flat, or hand wash + pin to set size, or machine wash. Then I get a sense of how much the fabric will change when it's in use as a real thing.

There's also the wisdom that swatches "lie", in that they only tell you what your knitting is like on that size of a piece and in that setting (watching tv? drinking wine? knitting on your lunch break?). Those conditions may or may not match your actual garment.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sometimes your swatch changes even with hand washing. I try and wash my swatch how I plan to wash the finished garment...e.g. hand wash + lay out flat, or hand wash + pin to set size, or machine wash. Then I get a sense of how much the fabric will change when it's in use as a real thing.

There's also the wisdom that swatches "lie", in that they only tell you what your knitting is like on that size of a piece and in that setting (watching tv? drinking wine? knitting on your lunch break?). Those conditions may or may not match your actual garment.
    :rotfl: It nearly all happens while I'm watching TV. Or during the sermon in church, but at church I tend to do 'charity' knitting rather than my own. (It's OK, the Archbishop of Canterbury said it was OK to knit during the sermon, honest. I heard it on Woman's Hour: the Listen Again no longer works but it must be true.)

So what you're saying is that until I've finished the garment, I won't know if it's any good size-wise and washing wise. Just what I need: I knew there was a reason I gave up knitting in my youth ...

However, I've taken a tip from my sister and compared the pattern's 'finished measurements' with a cardigan whose fit I like. And I've compared the width of the front I'm knitting with the front of the cardigan I like, and it's looking good so far.

I went with a purple fleck for the ribbing and it looks quite good.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • babs_103
    babs_103 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    As I have permanently cold hands, I'm having to knit a pair of flap over mittens to wear indoors. I used to have a pattern when Adam was a lad but cannot find it now.

Can anyone recommend a pattern (pref knitted flat on two needles) and soft yarn to use please? I must point out that I have very sensitive skin and the least little bit of scratchiness will bring me out in a rash.

Hope someone can help x
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

Illegitimi non carborundum

GNU Terry Pratchett

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    babs_103 wrote: »
    As I have permanently cold hands, I'm having to knit a pair of flap over mittens to wear indoors. I used to have a pattern when Adam was a lad but cannot find it now.

Can anyone recommend a pattern (pref knitted flat on two needles) and soft yarn to use please? I must point out that I have very sensitive skin and the least little bit of scratchiness will bring me out in a rash.

Hope someone can help x

Hello. Have you searched on Ravelry? Http:\\https://www.ravelry.com

My first thought would be to make Subway Knitter’s flip-top mittens: http://www.subwayknitter.com/uphtml/urban%20necessity.pdf The link will take you directly to the pattern PDF. She uses a worsted weight yarn, so I would use something like: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK or an Aran weight (worsted falls between the two).

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • babs_103
    babs_103 Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 May 2018 at 4:24PM
    Thank you PipneyJane and Seakay for you help, I need a two needle version as my hands are too cold to fiddle about the 4 at the moment. I will do the search for nice squishy yarn. Thank You.

Editing to add:- I've just been sent this from my Sister so will do those I think

.http://eatbreathesleepcreate.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/two-needle-convertible-fingerless-mitts.html
    Quot Libros, Quam Breve Tempus

Illegitimi non carborundum

GNU Terry Pratchett

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family