PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

terrific vegan chocolate cake

I wasn't quite sure whether to post this, as it isn't quite MSE, but know that quite a few people on this board shave to deal with intolerances and allergies. My grandchildren have a very good friend who is severely allergic to egg, and they have often asked me to try to make cakes for him - everyday stuff is fine, bur a good chocolate cake has eluded us.
I came across this in last Saturday's Guardian (Anna Jones is one of my favourite cooks) and but for my grandchildren's friend, would have passed over anything with expensive coconut oil in it. But having made it for their visit this week, I am so impressed and so was everyone who tasted it! Its cost makes it an 'occasion' cake, but it is so nice that I think it may become my 'party chocolate cake'. Here's the link:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/09/anna-jones-chocolate-cake-recipes

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks, that looks great. I'll definitely be trying it although I won't use expensive coconut oil, just the cheap KTC stuff. Unless you're into "wellness" I don't think it makes much difference whether you use organic, cold pressed, pooped by a unicorn coconut oil or bog standard stuff.
  • Thank you for this, I like Anna Jones but I've had a few of her recipes that haven't been properly tested (mainly her second book) so was a bit wary about her baking recipes. But I will now give this one a go.
    I just made a vegan chocolate cake from food52 that is really good and if your a baker then you'll probably have all the ingredients in stock.
    I can't post links as I'm still new but if you google Margaret fox chocolate cake food52 it should come up.
    I'd really recommend as super easy and cheap too.
    Now if anyone can point me in the direction of a vegan cheesecake that won't cost the earth to make I'd appreciate it.
    I'm not vegan but my workmates set me the friendly challenge.
  • Rachel, thank you. I used to buy KTC stuff from Asian shops, but now, for various reasons, only tend to get into one once or twice a year, so hadn't really 'clocked' that they would do this (although I have their coconut cream)
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Rachel, thank you. I used to buy KTC stuff from Asian shops, but now, for various reasons, only tend to get into one once or twice a year, so hadn't really 'clocked' that they would do this (although I have their coconut cream)

I like coconut oil for the way it behaves - solid at normal UK room temp - but I'm not into all the 'magical powers' stuff so it works perfectly for me. The KTC one, according to this http://veganheath.info/ktc-coconut-oil, is refined (which I like as it's not very coconutty in taste) but non-hydrogenated (so not too bad?). Anyway, it works and that's what I care about!
  • Thanks - this morning was our monthly run to the wholefood co-operative, where I found KTC coconut oil at £3.89 for 300g (the one I bought at the Co-op was £4.99). Not sure if it will be cheaper elsewhere. We do have to factor in fuel costs. We're not that remote, but have a poor bus service, and try to make the most of our trips in the car.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Am wishing I hadn't clicked the link, I suddenly feel very hungry.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure