(NON FINANCIAL) Retirement plans/ dreams/ discussion.

Options

Comments

• BoxerfanUK
    BoxerfanUK Posts: 688 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just love that username IvanOpinion :T
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BoxerfanUK wrote: »
    You do have a point about being tied to one area. The thing is, there's no point in buying abroad unless you are going to use it.

Also quite popular now instead of buying abroad is long term rentals abroad. Parts of Greece and the islands can be very cheap to rent a property for a month or two without the expense of any maintenance and you are not tied to one place.

Think long term rentals is what we will end up doing, maybe after some shorter holidays to check we liked an area.
    Like the sound of renting cheap long term in Greece. Do you mind me asking what sites you would use to book and any particular islands you would recommend.
    Most of our holidays over last couple of years have been to Florida and Centerparcs and apart from a recent trip to Albufeira not really sure of best places in Europe to visit.
    One thing I am determined not to do is get any more dogs, my husband had two boxer dogs when I met him. They were lovely dogs but definitely cramped our ability to have holidays.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• BoxerfanUK
    BoxerfanUK Posts: 688 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bluenose1 wrote: »
    Think long term rentals is what we will end up doing, maybe after some shorter holidays to check we liked an area.
    Like the sound of renting cheap long term in Greece. Do you mind me asking what sites you would use to book and any particular islands you would recommend.
    Most of our holidays over last couple of years have been to Florida and Centerparcs and apart from a recent trip to Albufeira not really sure of best places in Europe to visit.
    One thing I am determined not to do is get any more dogs, my husband had two boxer dogs when I met him. They were lovely dogs but definitely cramped our ability to have holidays.
    Hi bluenose1, tbh we've not personally rented anywhere long term in Greece ourselves, but I used to work with someone who went to 'Kos' a lot. He was thinking of buying over there and as he went so regularly got to know quite a few of the locals and it was they that advised him about renting cheaply. I would guess that out of season there would be plenty to choose from. Perhaps someone else on this thread may know.

Yes Boxers are a handful but still love them to bits.
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks BoxerfanUK - I think what I will do is have a week or two recce of potential holiday destinations and hopefully pick up some ideas for longer term rents.
    It will all be part of the fun��
    The main thing I will miss at the moment if we do have long term holidays is my friends, family and my weekly get together with my Parkrun friends. Might have to invite them all out to visit me��
    Money SPENDING Expert

• cns06
    cns06 Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    A few trips to the USA. Hopefully use the full 90 days each time.
    East coast from NYC down to the keys, if time back up into the deep south.
    West Coast esp San Diego, LA, etc.
    Do an east to west coast drive stopping off at as many of the iconic race tracks as possible.

Japan, ideally a few months - maybe a few times. New Zealand same. Low cost, slow travel and using hostels and air bnb. Both very safe countries to should be fine. Maybe try a few cheap cruises in both areas as they are surrounded by water.

Spend some time in the Carribean if money permits, island hopping but will depend on budget and safety.

Then long term motorhoming around the EU (lolz) and maybe spend 2-3 years if possible with brief trips back to the UK. Previously had a motorhome for a few years so this is nothing new to us although not done full timing yet.

I think all the above should take up the first 5-10 years of retirement.
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    shinytop wrote: »
    Mrs S uses travelzoo and we've had a couple of good trips from them. I think you have to subscribe and get sent stuff, which could be a bit annoying. I just use skyscanner for flights and tripadvisor, booking.com or similar for hotels. I'm also a big fan/user of Airbnb.

I tend to use Momondo for flights and have found Trivago is cheper for hotels than trip advisor.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • DT2001
    DT2001 Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    We will have diesel heating for winter and solar panels to run the fridge (without draining the leisure battery) in hot weather.
    The pop top bed is definitely bigger than the rock n roll one.
    We went to the show at the NEC in Birmingham to look at all the options there before making decisions. Boy can you spend a lot of money!!! We did make a comment that use of the pop top bed wasn't that heavily promoted and the company we were talking to did say, with a wink, that it was an age thing and many of the target audience wouldn't be fit enough to get up there each night. They did qualify by saying that they didn't see it being a problem for us for many years :)
    DH is a few inches shorter than me so it has all been about what I would be comfortable with.
    I like the fact that the SWB can be parked in a normal car park space and is very easy to drive

We’ve had SWB VW T5 for about 6 years. It’s good. Easy to drive and park. Our pop up top is not as big as the Shackleton (it does not rise quite so high) but sufficient head room to stand. We have full width rock and roll bed (as needed extra seat with 4 children). We carry one ring gas burners and plug in fridge. Heater powered by diesel, only downside our large dog used to turn on the switch occasionally!
    We use for 1/3 nights but friends use for weeks away (they have awning as extra but same set up inside).
  • DT2001
    DT2001 Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bluenose1 wrote: »

Maybe look at house sitting. We had a couple to look after our alpine property for a few months whilst work was being done and they had spent a couple of years all round Europe. Sometimes completely free stays or at worst covering bills. They said they visited areas in France and Spain they wouldn’t have visited as not top of holiday locations.
  • trf1960
    trf1960 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Love this thread. Well OH retired this January (although can't claim his SP until May) and never had his own personal pension unfortunately. I am 6 years younger and have decided to take early retirement with him. The 'when' depends on how soon we sell our property which we are currently in the process of 'tidying' up but should definitely be this year. We are planning on moving to Suffolk and buying a small bungalow/bolt-hole there with our main goal to buying a property and living in Spain for a good 9 months of the year. Yes I know Brexit may possibly change certain things but after talking to various 'experts', they all agree it's not going to have a massive impact so we are not concerned.

I am fortunate in that I have always paid into a pension, be it a personal and then DC through my work and have accumulated a decent(ish) pension pot which I have now invested in a IFA to look after.

We don't have kids to worry about and have travelled extensively through the years apart from Australia which is the only one left on our bucket list of places to visit.

All in all I can't wait for the next chapter of our life to begin. Happy days. :)
  • gibbo9
    gibbo9 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We finished 2 years ago at 59 and 55 having had a melanoma scare a few years earlier. 2 months in and it returned. Just come out of hospital yesterday having had another reoccurrence and getting ready for 12 months immunotherapy to hopefully keep it at bay.
    None of this was planned for in retirement just lots of walking cycling and touring in our caravan.
    So glad we did go when we did and would encourage anyone to do the same if thinking about it
    You never know what's round the corner.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure