Warning - Zeek in receivership

Comments

• I am absolutely gutted as have used Zeek for a long time. I'm a single parent on a low paid NHS wage so use it to pay for gifts throughout the year for everyone. I actually topped up recently and have over £500 with them. The annoying thing is it says most gift cards are safe but I did not know they were in trouble until the website had closed down so I cannot make a note of all my gift card details :(
  • Just head about Zeek going into receivership...
    I've got £972 of John Lewis vouchers on there that I now can't access in order to claim. Perhaps foolishly, I didn't write down the gift card numbers or PINs anywhere else besides an old laptop I that was stolen last year.
    I only found out about the issues this evening as I went to redeem the vouchers. In pieces right now - that's a LOT of money to me that I'm worried I'll never get back.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 March 2019 at 10:11AM
    supholmes wrote: »
    Just head about Zeek going into receivership...
    I've got £972 of John Lewis vouchers on there that I now can't access in order to claim. Perhaps foolishly, I didn't write down the gift card numbers or PINs anywhere else besides an old laptop I that was stolen last year.
    I only found out about the issues this evening as I went to redeem the vouchers. In pieces right now - that's a LOT of money to me that I'm worried I'll never get back.

Just heard about it, its been a number of months, been on bbc website, was reported on mse last month.

I think your money is lost, your in the long list of creditors. You might get lucky and someone buys it and everyone gets access to money in the accounts.
  • tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am absolutely gutted as have used Zeek for a long time. I'm a single parent on a low paid NHS wage so use it to pay for gifts throughout the year for everyone. I actually topped up recently and have over £500 with them. The annoying thing is it says most gift cards are safe but I did not know they were in trouble until the website had closed down so I cannot make a note of all my gift card details :(

You probably won't read this but a tip for NHS and other government employees. Sign up to the Blue Light Card (it's free). From there, you can purchase a whole range of discounted gift cards, usually between 2-10% off.
  • retro1981
    retro1981 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Sainsburys credit card have now posted 2 credits on my account for £100 + £200, being the amounts I loaded to Zeek in December 2018. I have never lodged a Section 75 before so unsure if this means I have definitely got the money back or if I need to wait a long time to see what happens. Good Luck to everyone caught up in this disaster :-(
  • Hi there,
    I had £400 in my zeek credit account, PayPal have rejected my dispute. Has anyone had any success in reclaiming their money?
  • stephenjwz
    stephenjwz Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    zeek.me is redirecting now
    guess they didn't find a buyer for the business as a going concern?
  • JawDr0p
    JawDr0p Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi Guys

Has anyone been able to get any further with having this issue escalated? I had noticed a story a few weeks ago about long delays/potential issues with people who had sold vouchers through Zeek still awaiting payment but as I had only ever bought I did not really think anything more of this. I have just came to use some of my vouchers today to discover the whole receivership issue!

I had been putting a bit of money aside for the last 6-9 months as we are expecting our first baby in June this year after 4 years of trying to help knock a bit of the large expense of Nursery furniture etc. I had largely just bought and used the vouchers at the time of purchase however, I had been building up almost £1,000 of John Lewis vouchers intended to purchase a bugaboo pram. There was an issue with the original seller using one of the vouchers which Zeek resolved in around Dec and refunded but I still had around £757 in John Lewis (over 4 separate gift cards), £30 in Mothercare (1 gift card) and £7 in Debenhams (small amounts remaining over 2 gift cards) all still unused on my account.

As these were third party retailers and not Zeek should I expect to still get these at least somewhere down the line? With the baby due in June it is not ideal timing as I could really have done with the John Lewis ones in particular at the moment! I'm slightly annoyed as a matter of course I would usually have printed a copy of each voucher as I bought them (as I did for the first few I purchased) but as the app was so convenient and at the time there appeared no issues I did not take a note of the numbers and now cannot gain access.

I have tried contacting the law firm acting as temporary receiver and also tried to e-mail Zeek also, no response so far and to be honest I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not too sure how to proceed from here, I was reading up on chargeback which may be my best option as the money was added on by debit card in dribs and drabs almost as a savings account as and when I could. Also, some of it was payout from topcashback so I assume I would not be able to claim this (roughly £170 from Topcashback). I'm not sure my chances of success with this as there is a 120 day limit and my purchases were from May to November 2018. I still have the Zeek order confirmation e-mails. To further complicate this, how do I prove the vouchers still had credit on them as some of them were part used so would not now correlate with a purchase amount on a bank statement (some purchases were instore with no receipt kept (make up for my wife etc)).

All in all, a bit of a pickle which if I could log in for 5mins could be resolved easily and as a previous commenter has mentioned, these should not fall under any "asset" of Zeek as they will have only acted as a middle man in a transaction and should now be ownership of myself. It seems if Zeek do not release these then the only winner would be John Lewis (assuming my payment made it's way to the seller).

Any help or update would be much appreciated. To reflect some of the other comments, I can't believe more information is not available about this issue. It certainly appears to have been swept under the carpet somewhat despite being championed by MSE often in particular.
  • I was wondering the same - Has anyone managed to get into their Zeek account recently to spend existing gift cards? Seems website now gone and app doesn’t work. Any news from Administrators?
  • I am another victim of this fraudsters :( Almost £600 in account (been collecting for fridge and washing machine) It was all through TopCashback, so I cant even try charge back :( I am fuming.
    This is the answer i received from TopCashback:

I am sorry that you and other members were caught up with Zeek going into receivership.

We promoted Zeek as a pay-out option in good faith and many members, yourself included, benefited from the top-up bonus we were able to offer when we passed on the discount we received.

Zeek was listed as a pay-out option until October 2018, when Zeek decided to change their method of redemption. Zeek had taken the decision to remove the ability to pay-out via Zeek.me, preventing the purchase of vouchers available on their marketplace. We did not feel that that the new option of vouchers offered in Zeek Shop were a favourable, money-saving, alternative so the decision was made to remove Zeek as a pay-out option.

We did not, at any stage, believe that there was a problem with Zeek‘s finances which is why we continued to list them as a cashback retailer on our site.

Once we had redeemed your cashback as a Zeek Gift Card, on your behalf, we were unable to cancel the transaction or recover the money and you had the opportunity to use the amount paid out before Zeek’s website became unavailable.

We will not be able to recoup any monies paid out as Zeek has been deemed insolvent. As with any business going into receivership, not all liabilities will be discharged.
    While we understand that this is an unfortunate experience for those affected we would not be able to assist further.

Best wishes

Phil

What an absolute !!!!!!!!. They have made me use Zeek and now they pretty much telling me to f*** off and deal with problem myself.

Is there really NOTHING we can do ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport