Thoughts on my Broadband package

Hi,

I have been with BT for a few years now and thought I was getting a fairly good deal, however over the years the price has gone up and I've subsequently dropped things like BT Youview etc due to the cost.

My current contract runs out in May 2020 and I've been looking around and i'm wondering if perhaps i'm better off switching providers next year, assuming prices remain around the same price as now.

At present, I pay my line rental up front which I believe was around £218-220 last year and then I pay £13.50 a month for Broadband & evening/weekend calls i believe, which tbh I can probably drop as I never use the house phone, always use my mobile, its just there for emergency use or if the mobile signal goes down for any reason.

I've just been looking and if i got the figures right, it seems I can sign up to plusnet for £23.99 a month BUT if i take up there line rental at £197.88, it would mean I then only pay £5 a month. Whereas at present i'm paying £13.50 a month having already paid £16.49 upfront meaning i'm overpaying by around £7 compared to plusnet? Plusnet did say i needed to take out a hoe phone package BUT the form said i could go with no call package so i presume the phone line will work and i just pay for any calls but would need to confirm that if i do go with them.

BT moved me on last renewal for superfast 2 fibre even though I told them i physically cannot get the speed of 76MB, i can't even get 52mb - the most i can get is around 33mb tops until such time a exchange etc is upgraded which i see no current plans for. I also need to see if the BT router will work on plusnet or if i need to get there router, i believe it should work but will need to check.

What are your thoughts? Should i try and get BT to match plusnet prices? I never had much luck last time, instead they put me on higher package for same money.

Thanks

Kev

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Plusnet is owned by bt. And are a nightmare.

Yeah try and get by to price match , but in the end they won’t care if u leave.

If you were to say your going to move to Vodafone, they would care more
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,038
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks, I wasn't planning to say who i was moving to to try and aid them wanting to keep me. hmm if plusnet not too good, might review some others like sse or nowtv but don't think they do line rental saver options but will check.

Kev
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When I pointed out to BT that I could get a better deal elsewhere, they did offer me a slightly reduced price. However, it was only after actually instigating a switch to another provider that they called me and offered a significantly better deal which was enough to persuade me to stay with them.
    Stompa
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Nowtv are good. They are so cheap you don’t need line rental saver.

About£24 month. Fibre.

Most providers crank up the price after 12 months.
  • We are with BT.

Last time our contract term was up we phoned up and got £15 a month knocked off and a “free” Alexa
  • Post Office standard broadband is equivalent to £11.74 a month. Add £2/mth for free weekend landline calls, £4/mth for evening and weekend landline calls or £6/mth for anytime landline. Post Office FTTC is equiv £17.90/mth. This assumes you use the Amazon/whatever vouchers. Neither package requires line rental for the year upfront.

Deals vary, see MSE Broadband

You really do need to shop around every time the contract comes up for renewal.

And you don't have to take a calls package from Plusnet, just be aware their call costs (like all the others) are high. I use VoIP from Sipgate for all landline calls, 1.2p/minute. (There may be slightly cheaper options but that's cheap enough for me.)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Plusnets only £4 p/m cheaper than BT like for like.
    So after the 18 months is up you will pay an additional £11 per month extra which is an additional £7 p/m more than BT for next 6 months!
    Conclusion theres only £30 over 2 years, FACT.

Check their reports out.
  • kev2009
    Forumite
    From my calculations, i'm paying equivalent of £29.99 per month (13.50 + 16.49 line rental saver) vs £23.99 for plusnet. Over 18 months woudl mean i'm saving £108 as my existing BT contract is 18 months and the plusnet contract i looked at is 18 months also.

Kev
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    kev2009 wrote: »
    From my calculations, i'm paying equivalent of £29.99 per month (13.50 + 16.49 line rental saver) vs £23.99 for plusnet. Over 18 months woudl mean i'm saving £108 as my existing BT contract is 18 months and the plusnet contract i looked at is 18 months also.
    Personally I'd instigate a switch and see what BT will then offer you. For me, it was £19.99pm for Superfast 1 and anytime calls (including mobiles). I guess I could get it down to £18.32 with LRS.
    Stompa
  • kev2009
    Forumite
    Thanks, I'm currently thinking i'll look around again in April/May when contract ends, see what prices are then and then call BT and see what they offer me, if not equal to or better then i'll tell them i'll think about it and then i'll instigate a switch and see if they then call me back with a better offer.

Kev
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport