Abandoning a house

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    plots for sale within 10 miles of Ipswich

How big is your plot
    Is it anywhere near current development?
    What does the local plan say about developing existing sites or any sites near you?
  • snowcat75
    snowcat75 Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Unless its in a flood plain It would be worth something, a probably quite a bit.. If there's a dwelling there and it can be condemned then PP is a dead cert. clearance of a site in the great scheme of things is fairly non expensive, A machine decent driver and R and R bins would see everything flattened cleared and ready to rebuild in under a week.

If your Suffolk, Norfolk or that way I reckon I could shift a plot or be tempted to re-develop it myself in a heartbeat.
  • This sounds like the sort of place a lot of people would love to get hold of. Get it re-roofed, get the plumbing sorted at the same time as having heating sorted.

I personally would probably take it back to it's bare bones if the building was worth saving. New floors, new plaster, good chance to get decent cabling in of all sorts too.

If I had the money and it was near me I would have it in a shot.

Sell it as it is, even if the new owner has to clear it out. To me something like that sounds like a clean slate!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • aardvaak wrote: »
    My house which I own outright is very large 4000 sq ft part 17 cent. it is a nightmare to heat as no central heating and hot water it leaks water from the roof and loads of water pipes, threadbare carpets and lots of fused lights, full of clutter.

I have had enough and plan to abandon it to whatever - can anyone stop me - tough if they can.

If you want rid that badly, get in touch. I'll give you £100 for it :beer:
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 September 2019 at 9:02AM
    How many threads are you going to discuss this in.

If you just want rid then stick into a property auction.
  • Firstly, I'd make an appointment with your GP to discuss how depressed you're feeling.
    As to the house you could (if you had the funds) get a professional firm in clear it. We did this recently with a very cluttered three bed semi. It was all done in a day and it would have taken us months.
    You are going to have to find somewhere else to live if you abandon the house so why not rent and then, once you're out of there, put the house up for sale. I'm sure that someone will take it on even if only for the land value, especially if you don't really care how much you get for it.
    Anything is better than nothing and the money would help you make a fresh start somewhere else.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 September 2019 at 9:40AM
    Rabbit24 wrote: »
    Firstly, I'd make an appointment with your GP to discuss how depressed you're feeling.
    I second this. At present, your post shows you're not thinking rationally and decision-making under those circumstances is both difficult and unwise.

The bottom line is that you have an asset worth thousands, regardless of its condition or contents, so walking away from it isn't something anyone making a cool, calculated assessment would do.
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    plots for sale within 10 miles of Ipswich

How big is your plot
    Is it anywhere near current development?
    What does the local plan say about developing existing sites or any sites near you?

Most of those have Plan. Perm.
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    snowcat75 wrote: »
    Unless its in a flood plain It would be worth something, a probably quite a bit.. If there's a dwelling there and it can be condemned then PP is a dead cert. clearance of a site in the great scheme of things is fairly non expensive, A machine decent driver and R and R bins would see everything flattened cleared and ready to rebuild in under a week.

If your Suffolk, Norfolk or that way I reckon I could shift a plot or be tempted to re-develop it myself in a heartbeat.

I thought only rented props., could be condemned
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    aardvaak wrote: »
    It is not listed it is mine surely I can do what I like with it including taking a bulldozer to it if I could be bothered

You would need consent from the planning dept. to demolish - That will cost. The rubble & waste would then need to be disposed of - More cost.

If you just "abandon" the property, the local authority will still want council tax, and may well consider it a second home - 150% or more depending on area.
    The utility companies will want their standing charges paid, so yet more costs.

If this place really is a mill stone around your neck, get in contact with an estate agent with the view to putting it in an auction. Even filled to the brim with "stuff", someone will buy.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure