Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Former_MSE_Lawrence
Former_MSE_Lawrence Posts: 975 Forumite
edited 14 June 2010 at 3:34PM in Broadband & internet access

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the updated article:

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click the reply button.
Or click here to see the old discussion

Comments

• >> Cheapest standalone broadband package
    >> Unlimited Downloads. Eclipse £14.99/month

oh come on, BeThere.co.uk's 8Mbps ADSL2+ (faster), no traffic shaping (deffinately faster), very lax FuP (more unlimited), 0808 support (cheaper), at £14.00 a month (more cheaper), £55 quidco cashback (bigger bonus), wireless router (better) and multiple free connection codes available in these forums (cheaper if not migrating) easily beats the Eclipse deal on every point.

The only problem would be the 12 month contract for the first year (effectively 1 month thereafter) and the fact that, as it's an LLU connection, if you moved back to a BT based connection you'd be applicable for the £40ish adsl activation fee. That and it's not quite so available availability... But for those who can get it, it's deffinately better than eclipse price wise.
  • I switched to Plusnet in september.

For the past 4 years my usage has only exceeded 2GB on one occassion, ( my hard drive failed and I had to reinstall windows plus the service pack and all the updates, antivirus etc....)

Since being with Plusnet my usage has rocketed to 5GB and the month of October looks like it might hit 6GB.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with this company?
  • normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    I dont think this thread should be called 'cheapest broadband'

Should be called 'Best value broadband'

Reasons being is that as most people know if a company offers a cheap service, then the cost of offering it that low is usually offset against something else (eg. Poor customer service/high rentention ratios).
  • >> Since being with Plusnet my usage has rocketed to 5GB and the month of
    >> October looks like it might hit 6GB.

plusnet have always given me normal usage readings (checked from both ends with seperate tools). sounds like there may be another cause - you haven't started using youtube / myspace a lot recently have you? :p it could also be some kind of malware installed on your pc; have you run virus / spyware scanners recently?

if you ask over on the plusnet forums they're very helpful with advice on this kinda thing.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    >> Cheapest standalone broadband package
    >> Unlimited Downloads. Eclipse £14.99/month

oh come on, BeThere.co.uk's 8Mbps ADSL2+ (faster), no traffic shaping (deffinately faster), very lax FuP (more unlimited), 0808 support (cheaper), at £14.00 a month (more cheaper), £55 quidco cashback (bigger bonus), wireless router (better) and multiple free connection codes available in these forums (cheaper if not migrating) easily beats the Eclipse deal on every point.

The only problem would be the 12 month contract for the first year (effectively 1 month thereafter) and the fact that, as it's an LLU connection, if you moved back to a BT based connection you'd be applicable for the £40ish adsl activation fee. That and it's not quite so available availability... But for those who can get it, it's deffinately better than eclipse price wise.

Am I right in thinking these people are offering the sort of technology that will be 2-4 years away for those of us who wait for BT to get a round tuit ?

Am I also right in thinking that they are "cherry picking" customers who live close to the exchange (ie people who can already get at least half of the mythical "up to 8 Mbps") because the rest of us dangling on the end of 2-10 Kms of copper wire cannot get a fast speed until light guide technology replaces copper ?

Ah well I guess a faster broadband is some compensation for nowhere to park your car:D

Harry

When I was a school boy in 1962; somehow I managed to muscle in on a minibus trip to the Science Museum for a lecture on modern glass technology. The revolution promised was telecomms over light guides, complete with demonstrations of the forerunner of the light guide table lamp etc.
    Will I see it in my lifetime, without moving to Korea?
  • tjfs
    tjfs Posts: 25 Forumite
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet but if you call Virgin Media Customer Services, ask to speak to Customer Retentions, then say you're thinking of TalkTalk they should offer you their competitive package which is £20 a month for TV, 2Mbps broadband, phone line rental AND unlimited free phone calls to 01/02 numbers. Handy if you're in an area which TalkTalk don't serve ;-)

Tim
  • >> Am I right in thinking these people are offering the sort of technology that
    >> will be 2-4 years away for those of us who wait for BT to get a round tuit?

yup. that would be BT's so called 21st century network (21CN) that'll probably be in place some time by the 22nd century... unless you're in Birmingham in which case they're running ADSL2+ trials there already...

>> Am I also right in thinking that they are "cherry picking" customers who live
    >> close to the exchange (ie people who can already get at least half of the
    >> mythical "up to 8 Mbps") because the rest of us dangling on the end of
    >> 2-10 Kms of copper wire cannot get a fast speed until light guide
    >> technology replaces copper ?

not exactly. They run an ADSL2+ system on LLU (non-BT hardware) as oposed to bt's ADSL (the usual "up-to" 8Mbps), which straight away means you're likely to get a faster connection. i'm not sure if they turn away people too far from exchanges, though BT are likely to do the same thing. i know for a fact i only get 2.5 Mbps off an up-to 8 Mbps and they're quite happy to sign me up. The problem is, because they have to install their own hardware in each exchange, they obviously haven't enough time or money to do it everywhere. here's a list of where is / isn't enabled: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/dsloperator.php?provider=be

they're also owned by O2 who have just started their own BB package, so they're likely to start enabling many more exchanges in the future.
  • dov
    dov Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you have an o2 Monthly Mobile Contract? If you have an o2* contract you can get superfast broadband at specially discounted rates; 8GB is £7.50/month, 16GB is £10/month or 20GB is £15/month.
    Wow 16 gigabyte broadband!!! Thats the fastest home broadband in the world. lol

I think GB should be changed to mbps.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    The GB's are the size of your monthly usage allowance.
  • golly99
    golly99 Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No mention of Be Internet in the article, Be Value now 8 meg download, unlimited usage £14 monthly, Be unlimited, 24meg! download unlimited usage £18 a month.

Site is https://www.bethere.co.uk/

Good feedback on the forums if it's available in your area.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback