Madasafish Questions/answers (merged threads)

Comments

• Hi Harryhound,

We've changed our standard free hardware (previously the Voyager 210) to a free wireless kit. The wireless kit has a £7.99 P&P one off charge.

Here is a link to all the details on the wireless hardware: http://www.madasafish.com/broadband/hardware/wireless-networking-kit.asp

For existing customers: If you haven't taken free hardware from us yet - or you're outside of your initial 12 month contract - and you're interested in getting the kit please drop me a PM that includes your username and I'll see what we can work out.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • After reading Martin's article about broadband, we decided to go with Madasafish - we have never had broadband at home before.

Is now about 2 weeks since we activated the account, but the speed we are achieving is horrifically slow - to the extent we can't use the connection at home as it is slower than the old dial up!

Have got filters plugged into the 2 extensions we have in the house. Using the madasafish speed tests, we are achieving about 3.4mgpb. Using the other speed test from Think (link on this site), we are achieving around 3mgps downstream but 0.4 mgps upstream. It takes around 4.5 minutes to load a page that takes around 30 seconds at my neighbours....around 2 minutes to load any page from google. Surely, this can't be right!

Have been back to customer support, who have basically just said according to their measures everything is fine. No help. Nothing. Just all fine as far as they are concerned.

What to do now? I certainly don't want to keep this connection as it is absolutely unusable?

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to overcome it? Any ideas?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lsimmons wrote: »
    What to do now? I certainly don't want to keep this connection as it is absolutely unusable?

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to overcome it? Any ideas?

It sounds like the problem is on your PC. Do you ever do any regular housekeeping activities? Try using ccleaner to remove unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

You can do a speed test here and post your result but I would guess that it will be fine.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Thanks for your ideas!

The PC is brand new, so should be tip top. Only opened and plugged in at same time as we got broadband.

Do you think running Vista is the problem? Have used ethernet cable to connect to router, as advised in the set up.
  • espresso
    Sorry I have no experience of Vista but using the Ethernet cable is definitely your best bet. If your download speed is 3.4Mbps, your pages should load fast. I'm assuming that you are running anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware software to protect your new machine, as bad stuff can be picked up within minutes of going on-line.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Thanks - All that stuff came preloaded from Dell. So hope all is OK there - it does update regularly.

Do you think I should run some sort of virus/spyware scan anyway?
  • espresso
    See this article on protecting your PC for free. I would recommend using Spybot Search & Destroy but you have to remember manually update and immunize every week.
  • Thank you so much for all your help - I will try running those this evening!
  • Hi Lsimmons,

Another thing to check -

With McAfee if you're running their anti-phishing software we have had reports that it does interfere with speeds.

As espresso pointed out - 3.4Mb speed test results are quite good - and this does indicate that we need to do some tweaking with your software.

Keep us posted and we'll do our best to help!

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • hubballi
    hubballi Posts: 424 Forumite
    Why is it I am now getting speeds of 1.04 mb? this has dropped even further since my last test. Since joining Madasafish 1 year ago the speeds have got more and more slower. I have the same router, extention cable and PC as I had 12 months ago when I was getting reasonable, but not good speeds of around 3 mb. I keep getting the excuse that "I need to get a wireless router" but I think the fault is with the provider as why did I used to get better speeds with the same equiptment? I really feel this is unfair and as I am paying £17.99 a month I am not getting a decent service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure