Virgin mobile complaint - what to do

Dozdoz
Dozdoz Posts: 9 Forumite
Been with virgin mobile for years (convenience as sim free and stupid cheap.... leaving for sure after this).

I barely use my phone for anything.... had a random text last Friday saying I'm being cut off for going over my credit when I paid my bill a few days before which was weird. Called up 'customer service' and they said there are 4 calls to Thailand on there and charges of 150 quid. I was like what the heck?! Impossible because I know nobody there. I asked what the number was and they couldn't see so I said when was it they said earlier this morning from 9.47 to 11.03, a couple yesterday and a 2.5 hour call weds. I was literally in a meeting at work on the same day when they said I called that morning and my phone was in my pocket. I said 100% it wasn't me, if it was me I wouldn't be so stupid to use my mobile or complain about it. I said I bet somebody got my number or hacked me so I said block all international calls. They said it was 100% indisputable you because otherwise we cant charge you for it. I said it was not and this went back and forth. I raised a complaint and said im not paying my bill and would rather cut my direct debit out and get a new phone.

They raised this and said it will be fixed in 5 working days. Lo and behold 5 wd after I called and they said its with the fraud squad (whatever that is). They also said oh they haven't look at it yet to which I was like !!!!!!. They said they would chase again.

I went into a shop today and they couldn't help. Im worried that somebody has hacked my phone and has or can see my stuff, virgin won't even send me a new sim card or change my number. Im adament in telling them im not paying my bill and said if they even dare generate it with that money on im taking it further. They said oh well we can just credit you. With 2 kids and being a single parent.... um no it doesn't work like that!!!!

The shop said and the customer service said they dont know what the back office team even do or how they check it. I wouldn't know how they could check who done it (does anybody know if they can track ip addresses or something?)

Has anybody else had disputed charges looked into and how do you deal with it and win?

Also what happens if they refuse to listen and try take this out and I just cancel all my dd's and get cut off? I assume that's a no no for credit rating and bailiffs ?

Ta

Doz

Comments

• bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Only amounts on my Virgin mobile bill (who I have been with for several years) are for calls I have actually made so no idea.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dozdoz wrote: »
    Been with virgin mobile for years (convenience as sim free and stupid cheap.... leaving for sure after this).

I barely use my phone for anything.... had a random text last Friday saying I'm being cut off for going over my credit when I paid my bill a few days before which was weird. Called up 'customer service' and they said there are 4 calls to Thailand on there and charges of 150 quid. I was like what the heck?! Impossible because I know nobody there. I asked what the number was and they couldn't see so I said when was it they said earlier this morning from 9.47 to 11.03, a couple yesterday and a 2.5 hour call weds. I was literally in a meeting at work on the same day when they said I called that morning and my phone was in my pocket. I said 100% it wasn't me, if it was me I wouldn't be so stupid to use my mobile or complain about it. I said I bet somebody got my number or hacked me so I said block all international calls. They said it was 100% indisputable you because otherwise we cant charge you for it. I said it was not and this went back and forth. I raised a complaint and said im not paying my bill and would rather cut my direct debit out and get a new phone.

They raised this and said it will be fixed in 5 working days. Lo and behold 5 wd after I called and they said its with the fraud squad (whatever that is). They also said oh they haven't look at it yet to which I was like !!!!!!. They said they would chase again.

I went into a shop today and they couldn't help. Im worried that somebody has hacked my phone and has or can see my stuff, virgin won't even send me a new sim card or change my number. Im adament in telling them im not paying my bill and said if they even dare generate it with that money on im taking it further. They said oh well we can just credit you. With 2 kids and being a single parent.... um no it doesn't work like that!!!!

The shop said and the customer service said they dont know what the back office team even do or how they check it. I wouldn't know how they could check who done it (does anybody know if they can track ip addresses or something?)

Has anybody else had disputed charges looked into and how do you deal with it and win?

Also what happens if they refuse to listen and try take this out and I just cancel all my dd's and get cut off? I assume that's a no no for credit rating and bailiffs ?

Ta

Doz

Its a bad idea to cancel the direct debit.

Its apparently much easier to get the money refunded once its been paid.
  • Dozdoz
    I should clarify...... my bill hasn't been generated yet so its not actually on there , so I cant see nor can they see what the number is. I only found out from it being cut off.
  • I take it there is nothing showing on your phone dialled numbers? Take a screen shot of your outgoing calls
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Dozdoz
    Nothing on there. Im not posting a screenshot on here because theres people's numbers and names on it.

All it is is family calls, a good friend in Surrey, work calls to uk mobile to people in uk and incoming calls.

I don't know how to quote people on here :mad:
  • Dozdoz
    bspm1 wrote: »
    Only amounts on my Virgin mobile bill (who I have been with for several years) are for calls I have actually made so no idea.

Figured it out oops! Needed to open a new tab ... I've never had any untoward in 10+ years with them. My bill is always on my calls I make. I think I've been hacked.
  • Dozdoz wrote: »
    Nothing on there. Im not posting a screenshot on here because theres people's numbers and names on it.

All it is is family calls, a good friend in Surrey, work calls to uk mobile to people in uk and incoming calls.

I don't know how to quote people on here :mad:

I wasn't meaning to post a screen-shot here. I thought it might be helpful if you had a picture of what numbers you actually dialled for your own reference.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Dozdoz
    Oh yes I do thanks
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I take it there is nothing showing on your phone dialled numbers? Take a screen shot of your outgoing calls

On most smart phones you can easily delete entries from your call log so taking a screenshot doesn't 100% prove that no calls were made. Or if somebody put their sim in another phone to make the calls it wouldn't show in the original phones call log
  • NutWorld
    NutWorld Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2019 at 1:20PM
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    On most smart phones you can easily delete entries from your call log so taking a screenshot doesn't 100% prove that no calls were made. Or if somebody put their sim in another phone to make the calls it wouldn't show in the original phones call log

Correct, and the mobile supplier won't need the handset evidence anyway.
    They have a whole host of evidence they can rely upon.

Where a call is made from using one of their SIMs they will have records that indicate the time and duration as you would expect (as well as the number called - don't know why the supplier said they didn't know that, perhaps for security reasons as the OP said they did not make that call), but they can also identify the IMEI of the device used (and compare that to previous calls made). They will also be able to see the cell site (e.g the mast) where the call was initiated though.

They can compare that with other usage of that SIM, and indeed take into consideration the evidence of the OP that they were at work at the time (something I'm sure their employer will confirm if necessary)

If it's a smart phone/device, then chances are that it's also got GPRS activated that can track movement as it frequently connects to the local cell site, even when no call or text is being made or received.

There's more evidence the fraud department can also access to prove or disprove the OP's suggestion they are not responsible for those calls.

OP - whilst this investigation is ongoing, the mobile provider should be in a position to suspend billing collection (or at least relating to those calls that are in dispute). Just ask them to confirm to they are if you are worried. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure