PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Preserver's Year

Comments

• oliveoyl wrote: »
    When is best to collect Samphire? And is it better to pick the larger plants or new shoots or both?

I collected some last year for the first time... I didn't pickle it though, just boiled it and had it with butter on, it was quite nice but didn't have much substance to it... very watery (but I might have picked it at the wrong time).

Do you cook or blanch it before pickling?

July and august is best, but sometimes into september.
    Recipes vary but here is one!
    http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-pickled-marsh-samphire
    Pay off as much as you can in 2012 challenge No. 64: 328.75/2,500
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Another great idea for a thread, Thriftlady. I haven't done much preserving for a couple of years but want to get back into it this year so your calendar comes just at the right time for me! :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Oh wow thriftlady, thank you so much. I had mentioned in another thread that I had a preserves to do list in my diary and someone had requested that I shared it, but no way would it compete with your comprehensive wonderful list.......quite fancy the hearty ale chutney me thinks.
    LBM March 2011 (what on earth took me so long?)
    overdraft (1) -2950 overdraft (2) -246.00
    total CC £12,661 :eek:
    loan £5000
    DFD 2016:eek::eek: (cant come soon enough)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »

Today I'm making Hearty Ale Chutney (also from the River Cottage Handbook). It has swede, cauliflower, apples, carrots, dates and ale in it. Sounds perfect for the winter.
    Well, the chutney looks great and smells good, it is a gorgeous rust colour. It has to mature for a couple of months so I can't let you know how it tastes. It was immensely satisfying to make though and I now have 6 more jars to add to my groaning preserves shelf in the garage.
  • Can we add our own calendars in as well - I love the idea of all the OSers over the country connected by (for example) making marmelade this month - bought my Sevilles today.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Great thread.

I picked up a US preserving book recently and one of the ideas that they put forward was

By the beginning of the new year, a lot of your stored produce is beginning to go over. THIS is the time to make lots of preserves from your stored produce. In the autumn concentrate on preserving the stuff that will not store.

it had never occured to me before.

I can recommend

Gooseberry and Rhubarb jam - looks like nothing but tastes wonderful. When served with scones alongside blackcurrant and raspberry, it drew all the comments.

Gooseberry chutney - actually used a gooseberry sauce recipe but kept it chunky and thick.

A friend served me up rhubarb chutney before Chrsitmas. Tasted very much like mango chutney, with that same thick slightly stringy texture. Unfortunately it was athrow it in the pan recipe and she cannot remember what went in. Lots of fruity spices though.

Pontack sauce - great stuff much like worcester or mushroom in texture. Good for gravies and things.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Can we add our own calendars in as well - I love the idea of all the OSers over the country connected by (for example) making marmelade this month - bought my Sevilles today.
    Goodness yes:) that was the idea, that we add what we're making at the moment and on through the year. Please share :T
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I made a big batch of marmalade on Wednesday. Got about 17 jars which included 2 large dolmio ones. I'm going to send one of the big ones down to my mum because last year I only made a small batch so she only had one jar.
    She liked it so much, but rationed herself to make it last!
  • Happyroly
    Happyroly Posts: 588 Forumite
    Thank you Thriftlady for this thread, I too like the sound of the Hearty Ale chutney so better get a copy of the River Cottage preserve book.
  • Hi
    What a great idea! I have just spent an hour juicing and shredding oranges ready to make my marmalade tomorrow:T
    Have never made it before.
    I have the River Cottage preserve book too and its fab:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport