IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

I called PCM after receiving debt collectors letter in panic. Have I messed up?

Options
Hi I’m so sorry to start a new thread, couldn’t find my answer in newbies. PCM charged me for “parking out of bay” at a train station when I’d stopped for 30-60seconds to remove baggage and my back tyre was ON the marked line rather than in it as I see on their photos, whilst I quickly removed luggage from boot to drop someone off. I feel it’s very unfair but with the level of escalation starting to feel I’ve comitted a serious crime amounting to £160. I’m a doctor and don’t need the extra stress right now :(
I sent a lengthy letter to complaints with firstly a complaint of their service (very inconsistent information when I called them, a letter coincidently not sent by them meant I lost my time frame of appealing through IAS), and some of your mentioned point such as lack of signage, who the “parked attendant” was? (as no one was there to issue the ticket, unless the were very far away zooming in with a camera), and how the 60 second stop would have caused them loss of business. However I DID refer to being the driver and probably implied it’s my car.
In a panic on receiving the debt collector letter I called PCM and had a very stern lady saying my complaint has no link to the appeal (despite my letter being recieved and not acknowledged) and that the £160 fine remains, making me feel worse. I tried to offer paying £60 but she refused and eventually the line cut off (seemed deliberate). Very unprofessional service and feel bullied into paying.

Seeing as I’ve done a couple of things wrong, should I now just pay the fine of £160? I don’t seem to be supported by any friends or family that this is a scam.

Thanks

Comments

• YKNA
    YKNA Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Private management companies are rogue. Best suggestion pay it and take counter action against them to retrieve. otherwise the fees will continue to go up until it goes to court.
  • Parkingfines
    Options
    Ignore the above advise . Why would you suggest paying then suing to get it back.

Do nothing further unless you receive a court claim. Come back here if you do.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    YKNA wrote: »
    Private management companies are rogue. Best suggestion pay it and take counter action against them to retrieve. otherwise the fees will continue to go up until it goes to court.

Maybe you should do some research on this forum before making stupid ill informed comments like this!

OP no one on here is going to advise paying a scammer, let alone a third party debt collector muppet that has added on their own scam charge.

For goodness sake stop phoning the muppets debt collectors can't do anything, and 60 seconds, really!

If this is a station car park it is probably under railway bye-laws and the scammers at PCM can't take you to court anyway.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,240 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    YKNA wrote: »

This is terrible advice, especially on a money saving site! You should be ashamed of yourself for spouting such rubbish concerning an invoice from an unregulated scam industry run by a bunch of blood sucking cowboys.

Those are the exact words our MPs have used in open parliament.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake
    edited 8 January 2019 at 10:21AM
    Options
    Do not pay, do not ignore.

Please confirm that the car park was a station car park operated by the railway company or landowner such as network rail as opposed to say a car park near a station but not actually part of it. This will determine whether or not byelaws apply, which is important to your case as it will time out after six months if it is the case.

Please read the sticky thread for NEWBIES then send the blue template appeal you will find there in post 1 to the PPC. Please confirm the full name of the PPC as there are many with similar initials.
    Common parking acronyms are explained in post 5 of the NEWBIES. Print or write them out for reference before you start.
    Then start reading up about what to do if/when it is rejected.

The NEWBIES takes a while to read so get yourself a brew and biccies before you start.

Never ever 'phone a scammer. Hopefully you didn't reveal the driver's identity, but if byelaws apply then it doesn't matter.

Dropping off or loading/unloading is not parking so the invoice should never have been issued, but since there are no regulations these scammers just don't care.

Debt collectors have absolutely no powers to do anything except send you poor quality bog paper. Post 4 of the NEWBIES explains why it is safe to ignore debt crawlers.
  • Fruitcake
    Options
    Ignore the above advise . Why would you suggest paying then suing to get it back.

Do nothing further unless you receive a court claim. Come back here if you do.

Doing nothing is not a good idea either, especially if byelaws don't apply. You probably mean well, but dealing with this now is easier than trying to do it in court later, or moving house then finding later you have a CCJ against you because you lost a court case you didn't know about.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2019 at 10:32AM
    Options
    In a panic on receiving the debt collector letter

There is no need to panic, this is not a fine but an invoice from a notorious scammer for an alleged breach of an alleged contract.

If this is railway land it will be covered by bye-laws and there is virtually nothing that PCM can do about it as long as they do not know the identity of the friver.

The train company itself would have to prosecute you in a Magistrates Court, but dropping off passengers at a station is not a criminal offence. The whole things dies a death after six months any so play letter ping pong with the scammers and complain to your MP.

It is the will of Parliament that these scammers be put out of business.

Hopefully that will take place in the near future. The Bill has passed through the HOC without hitch, and goes to the Lords soon. In the meantime involve your MP, the poor dears are buckling under the weight of complaints about these scammers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Third Reading in late November, and, with a fair wind, will become Law next year.

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.

#tnvrededdd
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Villager1
    Options
    Parking control management UK limited at Hayes station west London, the parking bay is right outside Tesco, general camera signs around but their issue was I didn’t “park” exactly within the bay. When I asked over the phone about the attendant they say someone was there and they must have been paparazzi ! And no clear signage, even if there was I’d still stop on the side to read it and still get the paparazzi take photos.

Parking control management is not mentioned here as much but it is a private company and I assume in the same way as parking eye etc

I will read newbies in detail, just such a shame this takes so much of our time when we have our regular jobs and stresses of life which is why many people are telling to to just pay it, but that doesn’t help the rest of the population.

Thanks all
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Google this phrase (copy it):

hayes pcm parking site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com

and you will see what this is all about!
    Parking control management is not mentioned here as much
    PCM are mentioned a lot, as the above Google search will show you. And they are fairly easy to beat at court hearings, which is how you will win.

Also did you find all the parking Prankster blogs about them?

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2015/05/is-it-pcm-uk-who-make-up-stuff-all-time.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2016/04/pcm-uk-signage-does-not-create-contract.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2017/10/gladstones-client-pcm-uk-hit-with-1500_29.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2017/05/pcm-lose-heath-parade-claim.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2016/12/heath-parade-graham-park-way-scam-site.html

Just don't follow any commercial links on the PP site. His blogs are very informative.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Villager1 wrote: »
    I’d stopped for 30-60seconds to remove baggage and my back tyre was ON the marked line rather than in it as I see on their photos, whilst I quickly removed luggage from boot to drop someone off.

Thanks

Should be one of the easiest in history to win.

You stopped looked for the signs that said you couldn't park on the white line , read sign, decided you didn't like the part that said you couldn't park on the white line & drove off.
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure