Solar ... In the news

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The revised FiT rate for 0-10kWp may be 4.39p/kWh.

Not great, but that could just work, or at least keep 'ideal' installs going whilst PV costs continue to fall.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • I was considering getting solar panels when I get my house in January/February.

As I understood it, under the previous deal it would pay for itself around 10 years after install.

If the subsidy is cut by 65% does that mean that its going to be 20 years before it pays off and that's the life span of the system.

So it's not worth buying anymore for me is it?
    We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.
  • Martyn1981
    More info on the rates.

Breaking: Government sets future domestic feed-in tariff rate at 4.39p per kWh

Have to say that whilst the initial rate is a hard hit and a tough call, the possibility of a 3.55p rate in 2019 could work well if prices keep falling.

It's a lot more complex though with degredations, and limits on the MWp of installs each qtr.

On the bright side, this will make domestic PV cheaper than wind (on and off-shore) large scale PV and nuclear ........ assuming somebody has a system installed!

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,003 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If it weren't for the EU panel import tariff this would probably give a reasonable rate of return - especially with the potential for EV charging and storage down the line.

I sill think there should be a variable FIT depending on aspect to aviod the German midday glut but I guess again storage solutions may engineer away this current issue over the 20 year FIT time horrizon.
    I think....
  • This looks about right to me. Remember that the income is tax free and index linked. With downward price pressure this makes sense.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    michaels wrote: »
    If it weren't for the EU panel import tariff this would probably give a reasonable rate of return - especially with the potential for EV charging and storage down the line.

Personally I think the expression 'rate of return' is misleading when applied to solar PV income.

If someone invests £5,000 in a long term cash ISA at 2% or 3% they still have their £5,000 capital, plus compounded interest.

Invest £5,000 in solar and they have a secured an income of x% but their £5,000 is gone.

With the new FIT rates it is going to take, say, 14 years* before the income from solar, and investing that income, will reach that of the ISA.

Take a situation where National Savings brought out a 100% safe financial product where you invested £5,000 and over the next 14 years they slowly gave you back YOUR money and then for the next 6 years you would get a handsome income**. Do you think they would get many takers?

* I use 14 years, but put in your own figure if you think that unreasonable.

** The handsome income could be curtailed if there were any repairs required(e.g. inverter, storm damage, roof repairs etc) in the 20 years. Bear in mind that there will be few firms left in the solar field so competition for your custom to perform repairs will not be fierce.

You need to remain in the same house for 20 years to realize any 'profit'
  • michaels
    You mean a bit like buying an annuity but that will only return about 2-3% index linked for 20 years whereas on the current FIT the return is more like 7%?
    I think....
  • Martyn1981
    Whilst Perovskite solar cells are not exactly 'new' news, this article is interesting as the tech is improving fast and could even overtake silicon PV in the future.

'Game-changing' perovskite solar tech could be cheaper and more efficient
    According to America’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory, these types of cells have increased their efficiency at converting sunlight to electricity from 3.8% in 2009 to over 20% today, and could potentially reach levels of 66% in the future.

To put that into context, traditional PV cells – which account for about 95% of the global market – have a benchmark of about 25%.

Damion Milliken, chief technical officer at Dyesol, a solar energy company developing perovskite solar in Australia with the help of $449,000 in Arena funding, says the increase in efficiencies is “astronomically quick in terms of PV”.

“Most things in this area take decades to go through this evolution”, he says. “Perovskite has the steepest inclination in efficiencies charted.”

Mart.

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    michaels wrote: »
    You mean a bit like buying an annuity but that will only return about 2-3% index linked for 20 years whereas on the current FIT the return is more like 7%?
    Once upon a time, annuities used to offer a top rate of interest plus a notional sum for repayment of capital - making them a very attractive investment vehicle for cash-rich, income-poor pensioners who didn't want their savings to become their legacy.

Alas, greedy insurance companies presented with a captive market of people who were forced to buy an annuity soon took advantage !

One can but hope that the recent relaxation of restrictions on pension fund use will see improvements to annuity rates.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • michaels
    Once upon a time the average life expectancy on retirement was less than 10 years and at the same time bond yields were in the double digits. Fortuately neither of these are now true.
    I think....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure