TV Licensing harassment letters

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Which retailer is still collecting names and addresses for TVL?

We should be told.
  • ffox
    ffox Posts: 53 Forumite
    Expect them all to.

They'll just use those details which you use to purchase the TV. The purchaser details which the retailer takes for billing and internal marketing.
  • Cornucopia
    This was stopped 2 years ago, so I'd like to see some evidence.

There's plenty about TVL to be concerned about - no need for rumour-mongering.
  • ffox
    ffox Posts: 53 Forumite
    It came on onto me off the tele.
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    ffox wrote: »
    It came on onto me off the tele.

Had a few lunchtime pints ?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I've now received an initial response from the BBC Trust on the issue of the BBC's legal justification for TV Licensing.

Their official line is that they have a legal justification for it, but they won't disclose what it is to me, and by extension to the British public.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/legislation-and-policy-AB9
  • Cornucopia
    edited 1 December 2015 at 6:58PM
    Funnily enough, they never mentioned any of that, because it's what it doesn't say there that is relevant.

Where is the Legislation that empowers them to enforce against Licence evasion? What does it say? What powers does it give them?

As someone who doesn't need a Licence, what are their powers to deal with me (if any)? And if there are powers, what are the limits and oversights on them?

I'd be somewhat surprised if anyone here can answer those questions, because as I said, the BBC & BBC Trust are unable (or rather: unwilling) to do so.

The relevance of this should be obvious - I do not want to "do business" with them under the situation where I don't know what their authority is.

In addition, the case law around the Right to Privacy requires that rules are explicit, clear, accessible and understandable, and also proof against arbitrariness. Obviously if the rules aren't published at all, then they fail Privacy 101.
  • Hi I was wondering if you still had a copy of the letter you sent to the tv licence?
    If so could I get a copy?
    Thanks
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,765 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Mac2017 wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if you still had a copy of the letter you sent to the tv licence?
    If so could I get a copy?
    Thanks

Welcome.

The last post on this thread was over eighteen months ago and it's not clear which of the many previous posts you are referring to, so I suspect you are unlikely to get a reply.

If you have a particular issue of your own it may be worth starting a new thread to say what the problem is / what you are looking for
  • Cornucopia
    edited 18 June 2017 at 6:51PM
    I imagine that Mac2017 is referring to the OP of this thread.

This dates back 10 years and the OP had his legal references wrong, anyway.

I have a few stock letters for TVL which I will dig out and post later.

EDIT:

The simplest measure is Cease & Desist, which is technically a warning of impending legal action, but doesn't require it:-

Dear TVL, Please Cease & Desist from sending my household your mass mailing letters as we find them harassing, offensive and dishonest. Yours...

Taking it a stage further you can provoke BBC-TVL into banning themselves from attending your premises by invoking your rights under PACE.

Dear TVL, Having studied your enforcement methods, I wish to inform you that in the event that you wish to Interview me Under caution I will exercise my rights under PACE which include: Right to Silence, Right to Counsel, Right to Decline Interview and the Right to require the interview to be documented fairly,
    accurately and independently which your present approach does not do. Yours...

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, one or other of those should work.

There's another approach involving a scale of charges, but you have to be prepared to sue BBC-TVL for maximum effect.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback