PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Re bacon, I love bacon and butternut squash risotto. It's quick and tasty.

Recipe :o?

I've got BN squash (and more bacon) in the freezer (raw, diced) but risotto always seemed very complicated - little bits of lots of things

If you've got a tried and tested, I'd be grateful.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Jensfeet Various combinations of - bread/English muffin/frozen hash browns, topped with fried off veg, Ham, Broken up Sausages, etc.

Put into a deep dish and pour over scrambled egg mixture. Bake.

Cool in fridge then cut into portions and freeze. 45 seconds in microwave in the morning - cooked breakfast.

Current version is Sausage, Wholemeal muffin, peppers mushroom and spinach. Delicious with Sriracha (hot chilli sauce)

Sounds delicious - thanks for posting this up. Might give it a go as we have tonnes of sausage and green peppers to use up. Could leave out the bread and add brie too? With onions and sweetcorn and green beans. Yum.
  • I can, but my recipes don't really have measurements...
    Bacon and butternut squash risotto

Slice half a leek and saute until soft.
    Add a couple of cloves of garlic, chopped. cut 2 or 3 1cm rounds of the butternut squash, skin and cut into 1cm cubes. Add to pan. Roughly cut 4 or 5 slices of bacon and add to pan. Add a couple of handfuls of risotto rice (or however much per person the packet says!) Stir and allow to cook for a minute or two. Poor in stock level with the top of the rice. Stir occasionally and add more stock when that's absorbed. Keep doing it until the stock is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Just pick out a piece and eat it to tell if it is cooked. Good herbs to add are sage or thyme, just chuck them in with the squash.

Sorry it's not more specific. I'm terrible for just chucking this and that and not measuring anything. Risotto is really just a base (garlic leek/onion), rice (short grain) and stock added gradually instead of all at once. Then it's just a case of adding flavours you want. I do think books and shows make it seem more difficult than it is.

Cake went down well and mum was so thrilled with her present. She looked like a kid!

Skipped breakfast and had a bacon sandwich at lunch. We had a slice (a 12th) of cake at about half 3 and I'm still stuffed. I'm normally cooking tea at this time. Cooking bacon went down well with DS. I found it very salty.
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One beetroot cake in the oven. 2 packs of beetroot into freezer - in cake portions.

Also in 18 Peanut butter balls. For self preservation purposes:D

Veg needs prepping both for dinner and roasting (double tasking the oven when cooking fish), but that is going to result in some roasted veg going in the freezer. Never mind. Won't last long, but the other veg need using up first.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JensFeet wrote: »
    caronc - thanks for the Nigella sticky soy tip off... I don't have any honey but reckon this could be replaced withgolden syrup? I have this in the cupboard already. And everything else so a plan!
    Hope the ribs were tasty, I'd of subbed with brown sugar if you had any but golden syrup should hopefully have worked ok :)

In - 6 chicken thighs, 1 portion chippy chips LO from son's takeaway, 4 portions RTC pork ribs and 1 RTC individual chicken pie
    Out - 4 slices Lorne sausage, 1 portion roast potatoes LO from NY and 1 portion carmelised shallots LO from Christmas
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 February 2017 at 10:52PM
    Wrong thread, sorry
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 February 2017 at 11:12PM
    Okay - dinners for this week...

Monday - Savoury mince and mash
    Tuesday - Free lunch at work so maybe soup or sarnie (or doggybag:p)
    Wednesday - Chilli and rice
    Thursday - Enchiladas
    Friday - creamy (mushroom?) pasta
    Saturday - Try BN&B risotto

Out (freezer)
    Mince
    Onion
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Mixed frozen veg
    Frozen carrot/swede mash (from xmas)
    BN squash
    Bacon

(fridge/cupboard)
    tomatoes/passata
    mixed beans
    kidney beans
    baked beans
    stock and spices
    wraps
    cheese sauce ingredients

I use half the mince for savoury mince and the leftover mince becomes chilli - leftover chilli becomes enchiladas - leftover white sauce becomes creamy pasta - leftover mushrooms go in the risotto.

It's like magic :D
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • caronc wrote: »
    Hope the ribs were tasty, I'd of subbed with brown sugar if you had any but golden syrup should hopefully have worked ok :)

Thanks caronc - they were DELICIOUS! I used a bit of brown sugar in as well and also a whack of chilli flakes and ginger, cinammon and garlic. They were very dark in colour but the meat fell off the bones and the sauce was delicious on the fried rice. Everybody really enjoyed them and we have some hilarious photos of our faces and fingers eating them!! Thanks again for the suggested recipe...

Made the bread pudding which has made 2 big cake pans full and is currently cooling in the oven. It looks so delicious. I chucked in some orange marmalade which was left from Christmas and nobody eats (instead of the sugar in the recipe) and used mixed dried fruit including peel in the mix. I am so excited to try this tomorrow. Hope it's like the olden days when we would have it at a roadside caravan tea / coffee stall on the way to Wales with my parents.

OUT: as planned pork ribs, spice cupboard and stores ransacked, eggs, rubber veg from fridge
    IN: steamed too much rice so have cooled and bagged it for freezer as I know there's 2 portions of lo chicken curry in there to go with; I imagine that at least 12 slices of bread pudding in each cake so going to have to portion up and freeze as no way it will all be eaten quick enough.

Was a NSD here today too so a good day. Hoping for another NSD tomorrow as have everything in for our roast and will be taking a packed lunch, drinks and snacks for DD dancing comp. OH will finish the tattie hash tomorrow from in the week (has done 4 main meals and 4 lunches so far). DS will no doubt have cheese and crackers from a £1 Jacobs christmas crackers box from BandM yesterday with Christmas cheese still being used up.
  • 4 portions of Fiesta Chicken Soup out for lunch. I'll take out some Chilli and Lime mackerel portions nearer the time.

There is loads of cooked veg to go with the fish.

And cake for dessert.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JensFeet wrote: »
    Thanks caronc - they were DELICIOUS! I used a bit of brown sugar in as well and also a whack of chilli flakes and ginger, cinammon and garlic. They were very dark in colour but the meat fell off the bones and the sauce was delicious on the fried rice. Everybody really enjoyed them and we have some hilarious photos of our faces and fingers eating them!! Thanks again for the suggested recipe...
    Glad you and your family enjoyed them - I always think that if you can eat proper sticky ribs without needing a hose down afterwards you're doing something wrong LOL :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback