Jackie1605

Options
I have applied for a PPI claim to the Norwich & Peterborough Building Society. My ex-husband was not in favour of doing this but I did all the work completing forms etc and my son got him to sign and add his address to set the ball rolling.
I have received a letter today saying that as I was a full time housewife/mum at the time the policy was taken out (to cover our joint mortgage) that i would not be eligible for the payment and they have written to my ex-husband with a final response letter. So I did all the work and he gets the payout - I started this with expecting 50% of the claim with my ex-husband and feel I have been treated unfairly. I have written to complain and await a response. Has anyone else had this happen and what was the outcome please?

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Jackie1605 wrote: »
    I have applied for a PPI claim to the Norwich & Peterborough Building Society. My ex-husband was not in favour of doing this but I did all the work completing forms etc and my son got him to sign and add his address to set the ball rolling.
    I have received a letter today saying that as I was a full time housewife/mum at the time the policy was taken out (to cover our joint mortgage) that i would not be eligible for the payment and they have written to my ex-husband with a final response letter. So I did all the work and he gets the payout - I started this with expecting 50% of the claim with my ex-husband and feel I have been treated unfairly. I have written to complain and await a response. Has anyone else had this happen and what was the outcome please?

What the Norwich & Peterborough Building Society are telling you is that the policy was in your ex-husband's name only. Makes sense; you had no income to protect.

As to the 'payout', there might not be one. Mortgage PPI is still sold today, and regarded as a good thing. Mis-sale complaints often don't work. You will have to wait for the final response letter to see what the N&P have to say.
  • campbell19925
    Options

Did you do a separate claim or was it a joint claim?

Was it definitely a joint mortgage?

Best thing you to do is refer your complaint to the financial ombudsman, they will make a final ruling and could still rule in your favour.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/ppi/how-do-i-complain.html
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But no point if the OP didn't have a PPI policy. She needs to confirm that first.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2018 at 10:21AM
    Options
    So I did all the work and he gets the payout - I started this with expecting 50% of the claim with my ex-husband and feel I have been treated unfairly.

It was very generous of you to do the work. However, the redress should go to the person that was covered.
    I have written to complain and await a response. Has anyone else had this happen and what was the outcome please?
    The bank are not responsible for you deciding to do the work for your ex-husband. It is hard to see how you could complain about that.

They correctly paid the person covered on the policy. It would be wrong for them to pay you money as you have no legal entitlement to it.

There is nothing to complain about here.
    Best thing you to do is refer your complaint to the financial ombudsman, they will make a final ruling and could still rule in your favour.

The complaint was upheld. So, there is no reason to go to the FOS. The issue the OP has is the mistaken belief that she is entitled to some of the money. However, as she wasnt on the policy, she has no entitlement. The FOS are not going to tell the bank to pay someone who was not on the policy. And any claim the OP has against her ex is between her and the ex and the terms of their divorce. That is not within the remit of the FOS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Jackie1605
    Options
    It was a joint mortgage and therefore covered income to protect us both. I was the one who gave up career prospects to raise our children as agreed by both of us, had I not been there to raise the children he could not have worked as he did. It's unfair as my input is viewed as worthless :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's not whether the mortgage was joint, but the PPI policy.
  • Jackie1605
    Options
    Joint claim as I was told I could not submit a claim alone! It was also a joint mortgage. So unfair
  • Jackie1605
    Options
    I wanted to do the claim as I needed the money too, I am disabled and struggling financially. He wasn't interested and had to be persuaded by our eldest son to go ahead with it in the hope that we would share a payout 50/50 and he begrudgingly signed the paperwork. The policy may have been in his name but my input into the family as a mother and homemaker (for 8 years) is viewed as worthless. I went straight back to work part-time in a job-share as soon as our youngest started school and took all the responsibility for childcare too.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was a joint mortgage and therefore covered income to protect us both. I was the one who gave up career prospects to raise our children as agreed by both of us, had I not been there to raise the children he could not have worked as he did. It's unfair as my input is viewed as worthless

The insurance is what matters. Not the mortgage.
    Joint claim as I was told I could not submit a claim alone! It was also a joint mortgage. So unfair

A number of policies of this type allow you to choose how you want them set up. 50/50, 75/25 or 100/0. They pay out based on that split.

When the complaint is initially made, they don't check the policy details there and then. They cant actually see how it was set up. They can see it exists and that there was a joint mortgage.

Some firms will accept a complaint from one borrower. Some require both. So, its not consistent across the board in that respect. However, the payout should be consistent by going to the right person. Which is the person that was on the policy.

PPI redress is generally considered an asset from the period the premiums were paid. So, if your divorce settlement was based on a percentage split, you could request your cut on that basis. If you dont ask, you dont get. Although I suspect you wont get anywhere and the costs of a legal challenge would be greater than your alleged share.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I The policy may have been in his name but my input into the family as a mother and homemaker (for 8 years) is viewed as worthless.
    Unfortunately, it does not matter what contribution you made to the family home because it's irrelevant to the complaint.

The fact is that your husband was legally the holder of the PPI and so all proceeds from a mis-selling complaint now go to him.

There is no point complaining about this to the Bank (or the Ombudsman).

The person you need to be approaching is your ex-husband who, while legally entitled to all the money, is surely morally obliged to give you a share of his windfall. Perhaps your son can exert some pressure on him to do what is right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure