Driving other car with owner's permission - which insurance deals with claim?

In a hypothetical situation where I am using another car with the owner's permission and my insurance says I can do that, plus the car is also insured by the owner; in the event of a claim by a third party, would it go through my insurance as driver or the car owner's insurance as being the car's insurance?

If it would be my insurance, as I suspect, then why does my insurance insist that the car itself must be insured? I don't see where the car owner's insurance comes into it if the claim would be going through my own insurance?

(asking because I have a situation coming up where I am using someone else's car for a short time)

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It goes through your Insurance.

What would normally happen would be the other parties Insurers or claims company would check MID and initially contact the Insurer of the vehicle who after enquiries would refer the claim onto you and then your Insurers
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to read the terms of your motor policy very carefully.
    Mine states that I am insured to drive my car ONLY so in your scenario I would advise you to claim off the other party's insurer.
    How they would feel about it (increased future premiums etc) is anybody's guess!

As its only hypothetical it doesn't really matter does it????
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The other party would claim off YOUR insurers policy, not the owners policy. The owner's policy wouldn't cover you at all. Damage to the car you are driving would not be covered by your policy or the owner's policy, it would have to be claimed from the other person involved in the accident, if they were at fault.

The reason the owner has to have insurance is to make sure people don't abuse the system. The "drive other people's car" option is a courtesy option provided for your convenience and mainly for occasional use. What they want to stop is the situation where a man has more than one car, he 'gives' one to his wife, she doesn't drive it, so doesn't insure it and he uses his 'drive other cars' option to drive it, without taking out a second car policy. To stop that abuse the car must be insured by the owner.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    stator wrote: »
    The reason the owner has to have insurance is to make sure people don't abuse the system...
    I agree. And I think its also to cover the issue of what happens when the car is parked (lets say you're using it and park to drop into a shop).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure