I can't see ESA assessment ending well for me...

Options
Hi everyone.

I'm aware that I may just be being paranoid but I've heard horrific things about capability to work assessments on this forum and over social media.

I'm 23 years old and for the past year have been in the support group for ESA for suicidal actions/self harm, aswell as severe depression and autism. They gave me support group the first time without even assessing me at a face to face. Last month, I was randomly sent another 'how your disability effects you' form and it instantly sent my anxiety through the roof. I couldn't even bring myself to fill this form out and I was thinking to myself 'Oh god, it's happening to me. The !!!! I see on the news about peoples benefits being cut, it's my turn now.'

I called the number on my form and told them I wanted an extension. They told me I didn't even have to fill the form out in time due to my mental health claims and I could just wait for an assessment letter and fill the form in whilst waiting. I've only just filled in the form and sent it off but 2 days before I did this, I had a letter asking me to go to a face to face on Thursday.

I know this won't end well for me. I recently was awared PIP (Enhanced living rate) and in my report the assessor says that I totally did not make eye contact (This is true as I just can't make eye contact with strangers) and I also mentioned I was suicidal and the only thing that stops me is that I'm constantly around my parents or boyfriend - again, true. I'm sure this is the only reason I was awarded enhanced rate PIP and I only just scraped enough points for enhanced.

I cannot go out alone, my life is basically a nightmare. I constantly have to go out with my boyfriend or my parents if I want to go anywhere and even then, I don't want to do that. If I am ever briefly left alone I get urges to harm myself in some way and in the past have shamefully acted on this many times.

I currently live with my parents, that's why I was allowed to claim income based ESA. My boyfriend is in the army and honestly I wouldn't be well enough to live just with him anyway but we've decided if my ESA gets denied I will move in with him and he will provide for us. He doesn't have the money to provide for us both but I'd not be eligible for any money aside from my PIP as he earns JUST a little too much to claim working tax credits or anything like that, despite earning just over - he really could not afford to provide for us both. Take my word for this.

It would leave me having to find a job and I evidently cannot do that at this point in my life. I wish I could go back to work and study but I cannot and I don't think ESA will give a !!!!. There are many cases in the past where they haven't cared about other claimants so why would I suddenly be different?

I know if my benefit gets taken away I'll have to kill myself. This sounds like a massive drop in my tone here, but I just could not get by on £330 PIP a month when I have debts to pay off still from a rocky past. I pay out approx £300 a month in debts and nobody else can help me so I rely on my benefits. It's either I do that or I force myself to try and work every single day which I know I physically cannot do.

I feel heartbroken even typing this. Where do I go from here? Are these assessments always lost causes when it comes to mental health?

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mw1805 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I'm aware that I may just be being paranoid but I've heard horrific things about capability to work assessments on this forum and over social media.

I'm 23 years old and for the past year have been in the support group for ESA for suicidal actions/self harm, aswell as severe depression and autism. They gave me support group the first time without even assessing me at a face to face. Last month, I was randomly sent another 'how your disability effects you' form and it instantly sent my anxiety through the roof. I couldn't even bring myself to fill this form out and I was thinking to myself 'Oh god, it's happening to me. The !!!! I see on the news about peoples benefits being cut, it's my turn now.'

I called the number on my form and told them I wanted an extension. They told me I didn't even have to fill the form out in time due to my mental health claims and I could just wait for an assessment letter and fill the form in whilst waiting. I've only just filled in the form and sent it off but 2 days before I did this, I had a letter asking me to go to a face to face on Thursday.

I know this won't end well for me. I recently was awared PIP (Enhanced living rate) and in my report the assessor says that I totally did not make eye contact (This is true as I just can't make eye contact with strangers) and I also mentioned I was suicidal and the only thing that stops me is that I'm constantly around my parents or boyfriend - again, true. I'm sure this is the only reason I was awarded enhanced rate PIP and I only just scraped enough points for enhanced.

I cannot go out alone, my life is basically a nightmare. I constantly have to go out with my boyfriend or my parents if I want to go anywhere and even then, I don't want to do that. If I am ever briefly left alone I get urges to harm myself in some way and in the past have shamefully acted on this many times.

I currently live with my parents, that's why I was allowed to claim income based ESA. My boyfriend is in the army and honestly I wouldn't be well enough to live just with him anyway but we've decided if my ESA gets denied I will move in with him and he will provide for us. He doesn't have the money to provide for us both but I'd not be eligible for any money aside from my PIP as he earns JUST a little too much to claim working tax credits or anything like that, despite earning just over - he really could not afford to provide for us both. Take my word for this.

It would leave me having to find a job and I evidently cannot do that at this point in my life. I wish I could go back to work and study but I cannot and I don't think ESA will give a !!!!. There are many cases in the past where they haven't cared about other claimants so why would I suddenly be different?

I know if my benefit gets taken away I'll have to kill myself. This sounds like a massive drop in my tone here, but I just could not get by on £330 PIP a month when I have debts to pay off still from a rocky past. I pay out approx £300 a month in debts and nobody else can help me so I rely on my benefits. It's either I do that or I force myself to try and work every single day which I know I physically cannot do.

I feel heartbroken even typing this. Where do I go from here? Are these assessments always lost causes when it comes to mental health?

Thank you for your time.
    This is the problem with most people, they read things on the internet and work their self up to an even worse state than they were to begin with.

Yes, i agree there are lots of bad stories out there BUT there's also good stories and quite a lot of them. It's just we don't hear about them. If someone has an award they're happy with, they have no questions to ask therefore they don't post their story.

Lots of people claim benefits for mental health and are successful.

You say you didn't return the ESA50 form until later than you should have, did you send in evidence to support your claim? Relevant evidence will be needed, they very rarely contact anyone for this.

If you didn't send it with the form, i'd advise taking it with you to the assessment. Hopefully they will accept it from you on the day.

I know it's very difficult and stressful when we go through these assessments. Take someone with you to the assessment, they will be able to go into the assessment with you too. Try to answer those questions with as much info as possible and avoid answering with just a yes or no.

Before you go, it maybe a good idea to write some notes, or a diary to remind yourself. I know how easy it is to forget everything when you're sat their answering all those questions.

Good luck and hopefully everything will be fine and you'll be kept in the Support Group.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2018 at 8:07PM
    Options
    Easy for me to say, but try not to be too worried.

These resources will help you:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/esa-medical-assessment/

Here are the activities / descriptors:
    http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/med2/indexxx.php
    and the Support Group descriptors:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors
    You may well be in the SG under Reg 35 - details here:
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/making-exception

I think it may be worth going through these with your parents, and making notes / examples to take with you to the assessment. You can then more fully explain to the assessor the day-to-day difficulties you have.

You've said you have difficulties going out (Activity 15).

These also might be difficult for you:
    14. Coping with change
    16. Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.

I take it your parent(s) will be going with you to the assessment?
    They should be able to come into the room with you.
    Let the assessor know about the PIP enhanced DL award.

The majority of assessment do go well (but of course those are not the one's you hear about!).
    For those that don't, there is an appeal process - and most appeals are successful.

Good luck, and please take care of yourself.

PS - Just a thought - If you think Reg 29 or 35 apply (risk to health), and you have a supportive GP / CPN / other health professional. Then it may be worth seeing if they would confirm that your health would be at significant risk if found fit for work / having to attend work focused interviews and write a brief letter to that effect you could copy and take to the assessment?
    But it doesn't matter if you can't.

Edit: Cross posted with poppy.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another thought.

Could you get some debt advice from Stepchange:
    https://www.stepchange.org/

Or another Debt Charity.
    Citizens Advice / https://www.nationaldebtline.org/

£300pm is a lot to be paying from PIP and ESA.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you had an assessment at a mental health hospital ?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The majority of stories you read about ESA assessments are negative because those who successfully claim ESA don't bother to let the world know. The result is exactly what you are doing - panicking about not remaining on ESA and how will they manage?

It is very easy for others to say but you do need to try to stay calm. Speak to your family about your fears and don't keep it bottled up.
  • mw1805
    mw1805 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I'm relieved because I honestly believed people would judge me and that's the last thing I want as I worked so hard from being 17-22 to just end up this unwell mentally :-( (Never have paid enough tax for Contribution based ESA)

My mum unfortunately can't come to the assessment as she recently had an operation and can't walk far - my dad is always at work. My wonderful boyfriend of 4 years is coming with me as I can't go out alone and he has to drive me places. He hasn't got the best memory and he was intending to take in a notepad with bullet points about my health conditions after speaking to my mum (Who is my main carer) We aren't sure if this would be allowed? Any input on that?

Also regarding the form - I didn't realise I need any evidence to back up why it is late. They just told me on the phone they didn't care about the time it took for it to get back to them as I was claiming on MH grounds. I have a doctors appointment Wednesday (Just the day before ironically) as I've began hearing voices and panicking again so is there anything I should mention?
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ask if you can be assessed at a local mental health unit.They would also help you fill in the forms they did with a friend of mine.Also take your medication to the assessor.
    In interviews they look for body language to see if people are telling lies like avoiding eye contact when talking.
  • mw1805
    Options
    Also to add - my mum has TONNES of experience with ESA and PIP because my older sister is severely handicapped. She can't walk or talk.

My mum has told me to chill out and says it's likely that they're trying to reduce my benefit to WRAG rather than cut it completely. I don't know how true this is. She has no professional experience and is just a parent of a disabled child.

I have had many mental health assessments in the past 2 years yes, aswell as hospitalisation in the past 2 years. Along with this, I see my GP once every month relating to mental health conditions and am currently awaiting to be referred to the mental health unit again.

I haven't been referred to hospital/The A and E over attempted suicide in nearly 2 years now because after my 3rd suicide attempt my family and boyfriend decided they needed to band together and support me at all times when at home/at boyfriends house. I don't have the chance to hurt myself. Again, don't know how this will look to the assessor, I feel it will go against me as I've not constantly been in and out of hospital in the past year. Maybe they'll try and say I'm totally and utterly recovered? Oh god I'm terrified..
  • mw1805
    Options
    Hmm, will it look like I'm a liar if I simply cannot make eye contact due to my autism/mental health issues? I can't make eye contact with new people at all. I tend to sit with my head down and hood up. This is a coping mechanism for me.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mw1805 wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses. I'm relieved because I honestly believed people would judge me and that's the last thing I want as I worked so hard from being 17-22 to just end up this unwell mentally :-( (Never have paid enough tax for Contribution based ESA)

My mum unfortunately can't come to the assessment as she recently had an operation and can't walk far - my dad is always at work. My wonderful boyfriend of 4 years is coming with me as I can't go out alone and he has to drive me places. He hasn't got the best memory and he was intending to take in a notepad with bullet points about my health conditions after speaking to my mum (Who is my main carer) We aren't sure if this would be allowed? Any input on that?

Also regarding the form - I didn't realise I need any evidence to back up why it is late. They just told me on the phone they didn't care about the time it took for it to get back to them as I was claiming on MH grounds. I have a doctors appointment Wednesday (Just the day before ironically) as I've began hearing voices and panicking again so is there anything I should mention?
    Yes your boyfriend can take notes in with you. He may not be able to speak for you unless he's your appointee but he will be able to prompt you.

You won't need evidence as to why your form was late being returned. You will however need evidence to Support your claim, even though you're in the Support Group. You'll need evidence to prove that you should still be in this group and why. Evidence should be relevant to how your conditions affect you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure