PPI - Bank say they have no records

My mother-in-law had various loans, mortgage etc in the 80s and 90s and is pretty certain she had PPI on at least some of them. She also took out a stand alone PPI insurance policy with Co-op as she was told by Abbey when she got the mortgage she had to have some sort of payment protection.

I have gone through the FSA website and sent a PPI check to each of the institutions concerned with as much info as she has (which isnt much - past addresses etc) and each have come back saying they have no records of any PPI.

Is that pretty much the end of it if she doesnt have any additional information she can provide.

Interestingly, I submitted something for my Fiancee why found a couple of mastercard statements from the 90s which actually listed PPI. I submitted a request to HSBC, including the c card number and got a reply saying they couldnt find anything. We have written back with copies of the statements, but I do get the impression that the banks etc are hiding behind the 6 year rule and "not" finding anything older.

Any suggestions as to how this can be moved forward if at all?

Many thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They're hardly 'hiding' behind data protection laws. You're allowed to keep records as long as you want. They're not.

If you have records and they have no records, there are no records to check.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    My mother-in-law had various loans, mortgage etc in the 80s and 90s and is pretty certain she had PPI on at least some of them. She also took out a stand alone PPI insurance policy with Co-op as she was told by Abbey when she got the mortgage she had to have some sort of payment protection.

I have gone through the FSA website and sent a PPI check to each of the institutions concerned with as much info as she has (which isnt much - past addresses etc) and each have come back saying they have no records of any PPI.

Is that pretty much the end of it if she doesnt have any additional information she can provide....

Yes.
    Interestingly, I submitted something for my Fiancee why found a couple of mastercard statements from the 90s which actually listed PPI. I submitted a request to HSBC, including the c card number and got a reply saying they couldnt find anything. We have written back with copies of the statements...,

So your fiancee does have additional information.
    but I do get the impression that the banks etc are hiding behind the 6 year rule and "not" finding anything older.

The "80s and 90s" are a lot more than 6 years ago. How long do you think that banks should retain records for?

Any suggestions as to how this can be moved forward if at all?

Submit a SAR to each of the banks etc. Although you may well get the same response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure