thanks snow angel...looks like a fab site
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Snow_Angel wrote: »
    Have you all heard of this website:

http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx

When you've finished a book, you register it on the site and people can then request to swap one of their books with one of yours they'd like to read. So you then decide which, if any, of their books you'd like to swap with and you both post the books to each other. That way you only pay 2nd class postage, get a 2nd hand book to read, then re-register the book and so on and so on. I've been using the site for a few years and I think it's great :D
    ooh this sounds fab, am registering now:D:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • yellowduck_2
    Options
    Snow_Angel wrote: »
    Have you all heard of this website:

http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx

When you've finished a book, you register it on the site and people can then request to swap one of their books with one of yours they'd like to read. So you then decide which, if any, of their books you'd like to swap with and you both post the books to each other. That way you only pay 2nd class postage, get a 2nd hand book to read, then re-register the book and so on and so on. I've been using the site for a few years and I think it's great :D

thanks for this will give it a go. Reporting to you all after my trip to Asda, I did not buy a book, I really really wanted to by John Connelly's "The Lovers", I lifted it from the shelf, held it and then put it back and walked away!!!:j
  • niccatw
    niccatw Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey all

:rotfl:Count my books? I have enough trouble counting my money, adding books into the equation might send me off kilter!

That said, I think I need to join! I have been much better since I had moved into my wee flat - lack of storage and a desire to declutter meant I got rid of books I knew I would never read again, or had tortured me when I tried to read them :D But those charity shop buys always do suck me in!

Then I found http://www.bookhopper.com/, which probably works in the same way as the readit/swapit site (will need to check that one out) and I exchange book to my heart's content without feeling guilty!

It's always a strugle to decide which books I don't like enough to give away though, it feels as though I'm letting them down... but at least I know they are going to an appreciated home :D
    Excellent idea. I have a bookcase that is only half-read, plus my male flat-mate has got me started on his collection of graphic novels (comic books for those of us with XXX chromosomes). Surprisingly entertaining though, and Sin City is even better as a book than as a film.

I would heartily recommend Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. If you remember the original when Mr Darcy told Ms Bennett that he loved her 'despite' her family and was ashamed of himself for his feelings, you feel so much better in this one when she round-house kicks him into the fireplace for saying so.

I have sensible books too, y'know.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Love it Bargain Betty! (Has your flatmate got Maus I and Maus II - they're excellent - admittedly the only graphic novels I've read - but excellent)
    Jan10: 28,315.81 Jan11: 18,015.32 Jan12: 7,682.58 Jan13: 2,987.73 Current debt: 1,225.55
    HFC [STRIKE]1896.10. [/STRIKE] 225.55 SLC2 [STRIKE]5123.34[/STRIKE] 0 Others [STRIKE]2085[/STRIKE] 1000 Bcard [STRIKE]1172.60[/STRIKE] 0

Mike's Mob
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oooh, it looks like there are LOADS of us! :D I'm going to have a count of my books later if I get the chance...prepare to be shocked! :D :eek: ;)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But please please don't make me read Captain Corelli's Mandolin, I keep trying to read it and never get past the 4th page, I bought it because everyone raved over it.

To be fair, if you ever get past the 4th page, it's worth it.

I would also recommend 'The English Patient'. I haven't seen the film, but that book must be one of the single most beautiful things I have ever read.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent idea. I have a bookcase that is only half-read, plus my male flat-mate has got me started on his collection of graphic novels (comic books for those of us with XXX chromosomes). Surprisingly entertaining though, and Sin City is even better as a book than as a film.

I would heartily recommend Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. If you remember the original when Mr Darcy told Ms Bennett that he loved her 'despite' her family and was ashamed of himself for his feelings, you feel so much better in this one when she round-house kicks him into the fireplace for saying so.

I have sensible books too, y'know.

I keep meaning to look into graphic novels but they're so expensive! I did love Maus though, which someone else mentioned, I've only read the first one though. I really want to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, it looks fab, haven't seen a cheap second hand copy yet though.
    poddle911 wrote: »
    How much do I need this thread?! Thanks Pickle :T I've got all the aforementioned bad habits - I buy lots of books, I keep them once I've read them and I'd estimate that I haven't read about 20%, which are mostly scary non-fiction, super bargains and books that I just thought were beautiful! I do solemnly swear to read more than I buy from this moment forth... That's a start, right?

Gah, you can't go and start recommending books though - it feeds the desire. Help! :rotfl:

I'm currently reading Invisible by Paul Auster
    Pod :)

What's Invisible like? I loved the New York trilogy. In fact, I nearly bought a copy after reading it when someone lent it to me, but I resisted. Hmm, maybe I need this thread more than I thought...
    Well done on this one pickle, but I've only just seen it and have bought 3 books today! But they were in the charity shop and I did take 6 in, so I suppose its ok.

I have some books that I re-read very often, have read Pride & Prejudice and Emma at least once a year since I first discovered Jane Austen whilst doing O levels . I too go through phases with genres depending on my mood, so have lots of chic lit that I've bought at train stations etc. that I won't read again. Love detective fiction Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connolly and some sci-fi/fantasy - Robert Jordan, Tad Williams.

Currently I am re-reading Michael Connolly - The Brass Verdict. Bought it on offer in Tatco a while ago.
    Will do a proper count tomorrow.
    But please please don't make me read Captain Corelli's Mandolin, I keep trying to read it and never get past the 4th page, I bought it because everyone raved over it.

Wow, you're the only other person I've ever 'met' who likes Tad Williams! I've loved his books since I was about 11, I think he's brilliant. I've got a couple of Robert Jordan ones, but there's so many I'm not sure I want to make the commitment yet. I loved CCM, I think it's a love/hate one, no-one's in between on it.

I tried RISI, but found it to be quite an expensive way of getting new books, it's so much cheaper to go to the charity shop, especially for normal and above thickness books. For instance, I got six on Saturday, two were hardback. For at least four of the books, if I RISI'd them it'd cost more to send on than the cost of buying the book and buying a 'new' second hand one.

Ok, I think I'll join this challenge with the 'read more than I buy' limit, but based on future purchases only (ignoring the order I placed with Tesco last week *cough*).
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Snow_Angel
    Options
    InaPickle wrote: »
    I would also recommend 'The English Patient'. I haven't seen the film, but that book must be one of the single most beautiful things I have ever read.

I agree....but I think the film is also amazing - the scenery is spectacular and even though I've seen it at least 5 times I still cry every time! :o
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok, count me in, I daren't think how many books I have, and I know there are some that I will never read, so need to bite the bullet and get rid.

Currently reading book four of the True Blood series, and Marian Keyes, The Brightest Star in the Sky. Enjoying both.

Only problem is that car boots will be starting soon :o
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I too love my books and have quite a few waiting to be read but I can never read one twice. When my hubby moved from France he brought boxes of his old books with him and I swear Ive never seem him lift one off the shelf in 9yrs!

Car boot here they come ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure