Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• has anyone had any success claiming back charges from an account that was closed (we owe money to them- because of there charges) we changed bank accounts because we were in a cycle of charges and on benefits so couldnt afford to keep paying the amounts..
  • :j

Six months ago i used the template letters from this site to claim back £1000 in charges from Santander and this morning i heard i will recieve £735 it's not the full amount but im still very happy.
    It has only cost me a few stamps and three letters and a little patience.....so go on what you waiting for! It doesn't matter how small the claim is go for it
  • I have been charged a fee/redemption charge of £153.00 on a repayment on my mortgage. I asked the Nationwide to explain what this was for. Its a fee calculated at 3% of repayment made over £500.00. I should have checked terms. I did write to say that I considered that a fee/charge was not a true cost and asked if they could demonstrate. I received a reply, pointing out that I had agreed to this so I was liable. They have now added this charge on to my mortgage, despite me writing to say that I did not agree with this as this sum would compound up with interest to well over £350.00. Which is a rip off. I was on to their customer services today, to be told there is nothing I can do. When I asked them to demonstrate that they could add this charge on to my mortgage, they said that was up to their discretion. I disagreed and asked if they would consider me paying off at £5.00 per week as I am experiencing financial hardship. I will probably require to pay. Has anyone experienced this type of bully boy tactics. Its terrable that a mutual like the Nationwide can treat their members like that. Who else has experienced this. If they are doing this to others they must be making a fortune. I would estimate that in admin costs they would be lucky to expend a cost of £50.00. Can it be argued that this is a unfair condition? as its a charge rather than a reflective cost.
    I will probably need to pay as they have added this on to my mortgage. £153.00 is better in my pocket than theirs. I did ask them to waive this charge and take it out of the reported £178M profit....
    Please post if you have experienced problems, the more the better, they may take notice.
    Regards
    Alan Scott
  • jones1328
    jones1328 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Bank name: Lloyds TSB
    Amount Reclaimed:£488
    Amount they paid: £180
    The story:

Wrote to Lloyds TSB on 12th March 2012 reclaiming bank charges debited from my account as follows:

1st July 2005 - £24
    1st September 2005 - £30
    1st October 2005 - £60
    1st November 2005 - £30
    3rd January 2006 - £60
    1st November 2007 - £90
    3rd March 2008 - £27
    1st April 2008 - £21
    1st May 2008 - £27
    2nd February 2009 - £21
    1st July 2009 - £20
    2nd November 2009 - £57
    2nd August 2010 - £21

Total = £488

Received a response from Lloyds TSB on 22 March 2012 (letter dated 19th March) stating that they were refunding £180 of charges. The charges they were refunding were:

1st September 2005 - £30
    1st October 2005 - £60
    1st November 2005 - £30
    3rd January 2006 - £60

The letter states that:

"....we comply with all relevant aspects of the Lending Code, together with the Banking Conduct of Business rules, this superseded the Banking Code on 1st November 2009"

".......the level of unarranged overdraft fees cannot be assessed for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations (UTCCRs). This decision means that the unarranged overdraft fees you have complained about are not penalties..."

My question is. Should I be happy with what I got back or should I push on to claim back the rest of the bank charges?

To be honest I wasn't expecting anything back but then I'm a little surprised they've refunded charges from late 2005/early 2006 but not more recent charges.

Would also like to hear back from people who have been in a similar position and whether they decided to contest the amount they were returned.
  • 70mins
    70mins Posts: 5 Forumite
    Well done to you!!!.Can i ask how long it took from your initial letter to them did it take for them to reply? I have just started a claim about 3 weeks ago and heard nothing back yet. Am claiming 4500 under the hardship rule.
    Any reply would be great!!:T:j

Six months ago i used the template letters from this site to claim back £1000 in charges from Santander and this morning i heard i will recieve £735 it's not the full amount but im still very happy.
    It has only cost me a few stamps and three letters and a little patience.....so go on what you waiting for! It doesn't matter how small the claim is go for it [/QUOTE]
  • Hi, i put in a claim to barclays for £2892, have since paid out over £200 more in charges. Today i recieved an offer of £1250 and to remove my reserve facility ( which i am more than happy to have romoved) thing is, this only just pays off the reserve and not further debt i have gained via credit card to help with the fees i have had to pay out. would i be pushing my luck to ask for more? or could i accept this offer to clear me from incurring further charges and then pursue it further?
  • 70mins
    Hi all. Just a quickie for you.I am claiming charges back from santander(alliance & leicester as was),and i posted my letter etc to 9 nelson st bradford as this was the address on my statements.However i noticed from a couple of older posts that people have been posting to an address in leicester.Would this explain why after more than 3 weeks i still havent heard anything back?
    I would appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks
  • 70mins
    Hi. Just checked my account online and found that £150 in charges that they took last month have been refunded.I have had no letter or call to explain why.(santander).My claim was for £4500 !!! would this be their way of trying to buy my off,cos if it is i think the amount is laughable.Has anyone else experienced this,and if so could you offer me any advice on how to react.

Thanks guys,keep up the good work
  • jones1328
    jones1328 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    70mins wrote: »
    Hi. Just checked my account online and found that £150 in charges that they took last month have been refunded.I have had no letter or call to explain why.(santander).My claim was for £4500 !!! would this be their way of trying to buy my off,cos if it is i think the amount is laughable.Has anyone else experienced this,and if so could you offer me any advice on how to react.

Thanks guys,keep up the good work

You'll probably get a letter from Santandar in the post over the next few days confirming you're refunded payments.

I suggest you push them for the other chargers you've incurred. I have with my charges claim (a few posts above^).
  • 70mins
    thanks jones1328. will see what happens over next few days,but in the meantime i have sent an email asking them to explain what the refund is about and also asked for the persons name and contact number who will be dealing with it so that i dont have to waste time going through to different departments.

Fingers crossed your claim goes well,hope to see the success story soon!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback