The MSE diet - in all senses of the word

Options

Comments

• fabfuture
    fabfuture Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 25 May 2009 at 7:12PM
    Options
    Thanks for the blanching tip Rags, that's really helpful.

Have just heard from clients who were expecting to pay a final balance with a credit card (so I wouldn't get the money in my account until possibly Friday or next week) are going to pay via bank transfer, so possibly tomorrow or the next day. Other clients apparently sent me a cheque and another client has just paid for an order with a credit card ... so have enough for paying overdue mortgage payment, credit card payment, a couple of other smaller payments and the next mortgage payment. Whew! Last few weeks have been horrid cash-flow wise, but also trying to form different spending and cash flow habits so this doesn't happen again. Think it's happening, but won't be sure for another month or two.

Have a couple of other possible client commissions that could come in during the coming couple of weeks, so am pleased about those. Went shopping today and spent about £17. I'd allowed for about £20, using mysupermarket to plan the shop, but didn't have falafel (Sainsbury's had it on a 2 4 1 offer) and bought two of the Galia melons instead of one (£1 each) because they smelled so amazing. Also decided to get S'bugs own brand chocolate to smash up into small bits instead of chocolate chips for cookies - saved about £1.50. Found a recipe where I can freeze the dough in bits and only cook what I want, which will suit clients (nice home-made cookies) and hopefully be better for my waistline (if clients leave any, I'm not going to finish off the box on my own).

Looking forward to checking my finances (& spending against budget for May) at the end of the month and seeing how things have progressed over the four weeks. (Have also just realised that signature is wrong - we aren't in October - doh!).
    Debt at 13/5/09 £51, 970. Aim to be rid of this by 30/3/10
  • fabfuture
    Options
    Spent about an hour last night looking at future month's cash flow, writing in my diary when to pay credit cards, so that I can improve credit rating by always making sure I'm on time. Hoping to have them all paid off before Christmas, but certainly want to be on time from now.

Have just spent 20 minutes talking to Barclays to find out why a cheque I deposited via the envelope system wasn't showing in my account on Friday - it has shown up today. My local branch is going to call me back today or tomorrow. My slightly uncharitable thought is that they forgot. Last time this happened, it was because of a computer malfunction, which apparently was very, very rare. If I make a special trip to the bank to pay in a cheque several hours before the deposit cut-off, then I would like it done. Rant over.

Last night's number crunching included checking the amounts coming into and out of my account since the start of the year. Most months were about the same and not enough going out in the areas they needed to be in.

Next month looks tight as well, but at least I'm starting the month fairly up to date and can submit more proposals to clients. Also just had one get in touch from about four years ago and may want to go ahead with something, although not holding my breath. She has done this several times in the past couple of years and then disappears.
  • fabfuture
    Options
    Looking again at my numbers (early morning bank balance checking seems to start this) and things are tight. Not depressed about it, but will have to grit my teeth for at least another two weeks. Clients I met at weekend have chosen someone else, so one less possible bit of income. Have a number of things I can do today that will help money come in (hopefully) in next month. Will do those.

Inspired by another debt diary, put together a ticker on getting debt free. At the moment, no debt gone because I haven't done my figures ... hoping things will look better than they did a few weeks ago. Chose a safe as my icon as that's how I want to feel financially - safe - for a life & old age where I won't go hungry or cold.

debt.png
  • ragstoricheswannabe
    Options
    ooh, i love tickers!!!!! They are addictive though, keep trying to up the %age on mine but it takes an age as even £200 is a small % based on the large total!!!!
    December 2018: £20,850.24. Now: £18,333.02 Total paid in 2019: £2517.22

Weight loss: 1.5lbs
  • fabfuture
    Options
    Ta Rags, liked the colours ... and the idea of moving SOMETHING along, since my actual bank balance is going to look the same or similar all the time as I get things paid off. Even 1% will be exciting. Realised tonight that this is the first month in ages that I've paid two of my three credit card debt minimum payments ahead of the due date, and am expecting to pay the third on time too.

Onward & upward. Have a meal plan for tomorrow and Friday that it exciting and works around me being out and about (that is, I can take some of it with me & have snacks planned, so there's no extra spending and hopefully no rubbish eating).

Bought a train ticket to visit my sister via the £5 off Great Western offer (love MSE!). Took ages as the Trainline website wasn't behaving, but managed to do it - and ended up being cheaper than Megatrain and with a much faster journey time. Chuffed.
  • fabfuture
    edited 28 May 2009 at 9:42AM
    Options
    After feeling rather grim yesterday about not thinking I could pay my debts at the end of this month, double-checked my figures & found I had triple counted my mortgage payments this month, when there were only two - one I paid a couple of days ago and another is due out on at the end of the month. Whew! So the next point when it seems I can't pay my bills is in about 2-3 weeks, which gives me breathing room & time to drum up some business. So glad, as clients I had given a large proposal to recently aren't going to go ahead with it and that would have been quite gutting alongside feeling I couldn't pay bills.

Also checked my cash flow for July and there is quite a bit due in there too, so not starting from scratch on that one. Next week will be all marketing and proposals.

Have boiled lovely rice for lunch & snacks (think I'm having a reaction to bread at the moment - have it and immediately feel sleepy - and that's brown, grainary bread, so shouldn't be getting a sugar high/low from it).

Oooh - just had exciting thought - once this ticker is complete on unsecured debt, and I have done another for paying off my mortgage ... then I can have one for a savings target! (Yeah, I know, some years off, but a girls gotta dream).
  • ragstoricheswannabe
    Options
    Its the dreams that keep us going!!!!!!

A friend once told me to jump in the deep end then swim like hell!!!!!! (she was swimming like mad to keep her gorge massive lovely house and expensive car) think i took her advice too literally and threw in some sharks for good measure!!!! ha ha ha!!:rotfl:

• fabfuture
    Options
    That did make me laugh! Right now, a lovely desert island with palm trees, warm sand and a hammock would be about right ... then I can go back to 'swimming like hell'.
  • ragstoricheswannabe
    Options
    You forgot the cocktail with the paper umbrella!!!! ha ha ha!!!

• fabfuture
    Options
    I'm more a bourbon on the rocks kinda gal, but I like the imagery!

Tonight, photographed 10 items for ebay (most were clothes, so had to iron them nicely first), listed details on computer note, weight for posting & worked out how much to charge for postage (first class recorded) with an allowance for the packaging. I think the cheapest way to package items is with padded bags from the pound shop, but not entirely sure. I looked at some bags in my closest pound store yesterday, but think there are better deals at a different pound store. At least I now know how many I need & what approximate sizes. Since there are oodles more ebay things to do, any spare packaging will get used in the future. However, didn't get to put them online, as have run out of time. Guessing it is going to take about another two hours to do that, including making the photographs the right size for the web and linking to extra photographs.

One more client inquiry today, but nothing else new; just got on with work & met a friend for coffee. Ate lunch of rice & sausage & tomato salad, followed by fruit salad, on the bus. Delicious - and it meant I was eating well and frugally. Also made leek & potato soup today, to go in fridge - lunch tomorrow? Some of the cooked rice went in the fridge for eating in the next couple of days and the rest in the freezer in a bag. It's easy enough, then to get out one serving, put in strainer and pour over boiling water to defrost & make ready to eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport