Pothole claims guide discussion

Comments

• sandesar
    sandesar Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 June 2017 at 10:58AM
    Hi

In January I hit a huge pothole on the M60 (50MPH) roadworks causing a blow out and damaging my wheel and tyre. I wrote to the highways agency, filled the claim form in and have just received a letter rejecting my claim saying there has not been any negligence on the part of the highway they have attached the safety inspection reports. Can you give any help on what I do next. This year I have hot 3 pothole costing me over £1000!! Thanks in advance. Sarah
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pay a bit more attention when you're driving?
  • Hi all, hit a pothole which damaged my alloy beyond repair.. Had to fork out £400 for a brand new wheel. It is a pothole that had been getting bigger for months and when I hit it, it was unavoidable as you have to straddle the lanes to miss it. Did fast claim got rejected. Did FOI and they came back with a response over 20 working days later saying under EIR regulations 12(5)(b) they wouldn't give me the info ... Any advice on what to do? £400 is a lot of money to be out of pocket.
  • Pot hole claim palmed off by the council as it was not the responsibility of the council, it was the water authorities fault, it was a sunken drain.
    I've seen others ask this question, but not seen any replies or outcomes, is it worth persueing the water authority or am I flogging a dead horse ?
    thanks in advance for any sensible replies.
  • Jawashark wrote: »
    Hi all, hit a pothole which damaged my alloy beyond repair.. Had to fork out £400 for a brand new wheel. It is a pothole that had been getting bigger for months and when I hit it, it was unavoidable as you have to straddle the lanes to miss it. Did fast claim got rejected. Did FOI and they came back with a response over 20 working days later saying under EIR regulations 12(5)(b) they wouldn't give me the info ... Any advice on what to do? £400 is a lot of money to be out of pocket.
    At what point during those months did you report it?
  • Hi it was only last night I came off my bike due to somew poor road conditions .i.e. pothole whilst it was wet and i was going around 30-35 mph and it was just comming up to some traffic lights and i went to break and the bike just dropped from under me. after some basic looks at the road it was in quite some shoddy condition with a manhole cover that was dipped in to a pothole.

this has caused some damage to my bike such as the hydrolic system for my back break is completely wreaked, and my head light is broken and the right footplate is broke as well.

but my issue is i need my bike for work.

any tips info i could use to help me in my situation.

but I myself am OK just a little sewlling in my right hand from when I landed on it.
  • I came off my bike other day when I was breaking at some traffic lights when my bike fell from underneath me and I ended up slamming the ground the damage to the bike is a broken headlight, dented petrol tank and my right foot plate and back break mechanism is completely destroyed.

Now upon closer inspection I came to realise that the road was not in the best of condition and noticing that there was a pothole with a manhole cover in it roughly in the spot where I came off. The conditions were wet but hadn't been raining for a while.

Any advice would be most helpful in my situation.
  • JCEMB1991 wrote: »
    I came off my bike other day when I was breaking at some traffic lights when my bike fell from underneath me and I ended up slamming the ground the damage to the bike is a broken headlight, dented petrol tank and my right foot plate and back break mechanism is completely destroyed.

Now upon closer inspection I came to realise that the road was not in the best of condition and noticing that there was a pothole with a manhole cover in it roughly in the spot where I came off. The conditions were wet but hadn't been raining for a while.

Any advice would be most helpful in my situation.
    Take photos of the pothole. Are you sure it caused your accident? You say yourself it was only roughly where you came off. Anyway, all you can do is notify the council and see if it was already reported. If it hadn't been reported, your claim won't be successful because the council can't be expected to monitor every bit of road every day. If it was reported and they have been late to effect a repair, you may have grounds for a successful claim.
  • I've used the suggestions in this forum to try and claim for damage to my car caused by a pot hole. The response from my local council to the FOI request was that it's not their policy to release their maintenance schedule as it may open up a deluge of claims for damage. I didn't think they could do that! Any idea where I can go from here, or is it straight to small claims court?
  • Hi, went through this all with Northants council, originally they blamed it on Anglian water, which took them 3 months, then Anglian water were very good said not them as issue not reported by the council to them, so back to council, have now had a load of photocopied logs of the road being inspected 3 months before and told to whistle for it as its a minor road, basically, so went through all the data gathering and submitted the claim etc all it seems for nothing, £650 for new tyre, recovery, wheel weld and its all for nowt. Ha hey ho, tbh I was reluctant to claim in the first place as somehow knew they would have a get out. Frustrated dot com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback