PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I get consent to let from lender to rent out my house?

Hi
My wife and I have had a residential mortgage for 4 years with a perfect payment history. We are moving to Hong Kong for approx 2-3 years. Some very good friends of ours are going to rent our house. The agreed rent is considerably lower than the mortgage payments which is fine by us as we have somewhere to store our things and also have someone we can trust 100% in the house. The mortgage lender is Northern Rock. They say they, to get a consent to let,
- must have 30% equity
(we have no where near)
-the incoming rent must be 120% of the mortgage payment

We intend to set out a tennancy agreement, get gas safety certs and get land lords insurance. We are also extremely confident of NOT failing the mortgage payments.
Do we really need to get consent to let from the lender?
How could the lender find out?
What would be the reprocusions for landlord and tennent?
Advice please, many thanks.

Comments

• leitmotif
    leitmotif Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, you absolutely do need consent to let from your lender. Be aware that the lender will probably put you on a buy-to-let mortgage, which will have a higher interest rate. At the end of the day, they're perfectly entitled to do so, as you're effectively making money on what they've lent you, so they want a cut. Also be aware that if you don't get permission, you could get in trouble.
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    paulhutch wrote: »
    Hi
    My wife and I have had a residential mortgage for 4 years with a perfect payment history. We are moving to Hong Kong for approx 2-3 years. Some very good friends of ours are going to rent our house. The agreed rent is considerably lower than the mortgage payments which is fine by us as we have somewhere to store our things and also have someone we can trust 100% in the house. The mortgage lender is Northern Rock. They say they, to get a consent to let,
    - must have 30% equity
    (we have no where near)
    -the incoming rent must be 120% of the mortgage payment

We intend to set out a tennancy agreement, get gas safety certs and get land lords insurance. We are also extremely confident of NOT failing the mortgage payments.
    Do we really need to get consent to let from the lender?
    How could the lender find out?
    What would be the reprocusions for landlord and tennent?
    Advice please, many thanks.

We're with Northern Rock and looked into renting, fortunately for us we can meet those two criteria. It was going to cost approx £200 odd and a form or two.. So the good news is you didn't have to transfer to a buy to let mortgage....

However if you are certain you can't meet that criteria then no you can't rent it's as simple as that...If you do a search on here you will find plenty of stories of people who have had done what you are suggesting only for it go horribly wrong....Your insurance will also probably be invalid...
  • thanks for that.
    Regarding making money, as i said. the rent comes no where near the mortgage payment,we stand to be out of pocket, its more of a house sitting arrangement,as we have pets that need looking after, very convenient for both parties. What kind of trouble are we talking, and HOW would the lender find out?
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    paulhutch wrote: »
    thanks for that.
    Regarding making money, as i said. the rent comes no where near the mortgage payment,we stand to be out of pocket, its more of a house sitting arrangement,as we have pets that need looking after, very convenient for both parties. What kind of trouble are we talking, and HOW would the lender find out?

Check the sticky at the top of the fourm and do a search for permission to let...there will be a number of stories there

It will still be counted as renting and your insurance probably won't be valid anymore meaning if there is a fire then you won't have any insurance to rebuild the house for example.

Your landlord insurance will be dependent on having permission to rent from your lender so you won't be able to get that either.
  • ninky_2
    ninky_2 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    far be it from me to suggest something not strickly but as they are good friends why not just come to an agreement by which they are housesitting (i don't think you need permission for this). then your friends can kindly agree to gift you some money.....conveniently. you might need to inform the lender (check your mortgage details) but tell them they are house sitters not tenants.

however, i'd make sure you cover all the sensible precautions like getting a gas safety check, having smoke and carbon monoxide alarms etc and discuss with your friends the contents insurance (what happens if the house burns down and their stuff goes up with it?).
    Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves. - Lord Byron
  • good point on the insurance
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    If you are planning to let at a figure way under the market rent then HMRC may have a comment on the arrangement
  • now that sounds like the answer im looking for, providing my lender plays ball, thanks
  • If you are planning to let at a figure way under the market rent then HMRC may have a comment on the arrangement

please explain this
  • There are of course also Income tax implications, I can't be certain but believe a letting agent is duty bound to notify Inland Revenue however in your case any payment from your friends/tenants should be declared.
    As you would be Non resident , if you havent/dont apply for Non Resident Landlord status then tax should be deducted by the "tenant" and paid by them to IR.
    Gets very mucky but as far as I know IR do not cross reference with the Lender whether permission to let was sought/granted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure