Reversed into a car and didn't know

Comments

• jammiejimmy
    jammiejimmy Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2019 at 10:34AM
    a.turner wrote: »
    Nor is failing to stop and report.

I hope that’s correct. However, my own research has revealed that there’s potentially 6 month sentence attached to the charge. This is where there have been injuries or deaths. Of course, there’s no chance of me getting a custodial sentence but the charge is still the same that carries a potential 6 months? Does anyone actually definitively know that failing to stop and report is not an indictable offence? Whether it is or not I’m still pleading not guilty because of the reasons I’ve gone into above.

Also as noted above, the police haven’t given me a chance to give my side of the incident at all even though they’ve gone to the trouble of interviewing witnesses, gathering evidence and charging me.

Shouldn’t this have happened? Don’t I have the right to put my side of the events before being charged with a crime.

Having spent the last week being very anxious, I’m now starting to get quite angry.
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post
    I hope that’s correct. However, my own research has revealed that there’s potentially 6 month sentence attached to the charge. This is where there have been injuries or deaths. Of course, there’s no chance of me getting a custodial sentence but the charge is still the same that carries a potential 6 months? Does anyone actually definitively know that failing to stop and report is not an indictable offence? Whether it is or not I’m still pleading not guilty because of the reasons I’ve gone into above.

Also as noted above, the police haven’t given me a chance to give my side of the incident at all even though they’ve gone to the trouble of interviewing witnesses, gathering evidence and charging me.

Shouldn’t this have happened? Don’t I have the right to put my side of the events before being charged with a crime.

Having spent the last week being very anxious, I’m now starting to get quite angry.

It's a summary offence not indictable hence the six months maximum sentence.
  • jammiejimmy
    It's a summary offence not indictable hence the six months maximum sentence.

Ah I see... that means that even if I request a jury trial (which I'm not going to do!) this is dealt with by magistrates and the conviction won't end up on my record and won't give me a criminal record? This is important as I work in a job that is subject to an enhanced DBS check. Thanks for that! :T

It turns out that I have "Motor Legal Expenses Insurance", so I'm going to phone them in the morning and see if they'll pay for a solicitor. Has anyone ever had cause to use a similar thing?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm going to phone them in the morning and see if they'll pay for a solicitor.

Are they open on bank holidays?

;)
    ====
  • a.turner
    First Post
    Ah I see... that means that even if I request a jury trial (which I'm not going to do!) this is dealt with by magistrates and the conviction won't end up on my record and won't give me a criminal record? This is important as I work in a job that is subject to an enhanced DBS check. Thanks for that! :T

It turns out that I have "Motor Legal Expenses Insurance", so I'm going to phone them in the morning and see if they'll pay for a solicitor. Has anyone ever had cause to use a similar thing?

You can't request it be heard at crown court and you'll probably find your legal cover won't stretch to a criminal trial.
  • jammiejimmy
    d123 wrote: »
    Are they open on bank holidays?

;)

Good point!
  • jammiejimmy
    You can't request it be heard at crown court and you'll probably find your legal cover won't stretch to a criminal trial.

Are you saying that normally that "Motor Legal Expenses Insurance" doesn't cover magistrates court cases? If not, then what's the purpose of it?

I bought it as a stand alone policy so I'll have to check with them when they open on Tuesday.
  • a.turner
    First Post
    Are you saying that normally that "Motor Legal Expenses Insurance" doesn't cover magistrates court cases? If not, then what's the purpose of it?

I bought it as a stand alone policy so I'll have to check with them when they open on Tuesday.

That's what I'm saying. It covers you for a solicitor if you're involved in an accident. Why not read the policy document and save yourself a phone call.
  • jammiejimmy
    That's what I'm saying. It covers you for a solicitor if you're involved in an accident. Why not read the policy document and save yourself a phone call.

Good idea- except I don't have it. I can only locate the certificate.

I have been involved in an accident.
  • a.turner
    First Post
    Good idea- except I don't have it. I can only locate the certificate.

I have been involved in an accident.

Well you'll be covered if they come after you with a personal injury claim and it goes to court. Probably won't cover a criminal defence witch has nothing to do with the third party claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure