Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just did the same out of interest. Top shopper 395.13 for my consumption of 2907 kWh. The previous 12 months powershop state I spent 345.46. So using their supplied figures I can anticipate an annual increase of virtually 50 quid. (£49.67 to be precise or 14.3%). Cheapest quote elsewhere for me is £366 a year with outfox).

So looks like I need to save an additional £30 by buying powrpacks. Seems quite risky I must admit. My credit lasts til October. I'll know by then if its worth staying or not
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    One thing to remember about your remaining credit - As the PS Policy is to "use the highest discount first" you end up with the powerpacks with the lowest discount remaining.

.........Of course you can always hang on to September and then those November Future Packs with 27.6% discount will be available as soon as you reach your October review date!
  • Tafrock
    Options
    Thanks mick. My credit is made up of 5 x January packs and 1 x December pack plus a partial December (all 23.4%). Other than that I have this year's November pack x 2 at 27.6%. I refunded all My packs that were low value ie less than 20%. So all my credit (£83 plus £13 future packs) is worth spending before I contemplate leaving. I did have credit of over 200 pounds before I started refunding and limiting my purchases

December's future pack rate will be interesting to see come Sunday .
  • Tafrock
    Options
    December's 2 packs identical discount to November's. 27.6%. Slightly more electricity available than November's ie £9.30 worth instead of November's £8.92. Last years December discount was less at 23.4% but you could buy 5 packs worth £13.05 each ie 65.25 worth of electricity as opposed to £18.60 this year. That's one hell of a reduction. I will probably buy this pack but not just yet. There's no rush it will be around for 3 months yet. Simple saver is disappointing again this month at 18.2%
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, we can clearly see what Powershop's game is now. Last year (as Tafrock has indicated) I was able to buy £50 worth of December Future Packs worth £65.25. This year I could only buy £16.45 worth giving a credit of £22.72:eek: That's almost one third of what I could buy last year.

Clearly, as I posted earlier, it looks like Powershop are going to create an effective price rise for us by denying discounts at the level we were previously able to attain. I wonder if this is Npower exerting it's influence?

I remember quite clearly a long conversation with one of PS's CS people prior to joining PS, where he insisted that even though they were operating under NP's licence, they were independent of them - I wonder if that's still the case?

So, if this pattern continues, it looks like it's a case of only buy the better discounted PowerPacks going forward, run the credit down and then move to the next best value supplier.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    I've just asked powershop for a quote and selected the pro option.

Results were

Top shopper £470.89 per year
    First Year Promise £651.63 per year
    Baseline £671.82 per year

The Top shopper is only £12 cheaper per year than my new 12 month fix starting next month with Utility Point.
    So powershop's own figures show it isn't worth a risk.

So, is this quote suggesting that buying no Powerpacks your annual bill would be Baseline - £671.82

And buying Powerpacks would give you an annual bill of £470.89

Is that correct?

Because that's a 29.9% discount!! ((671.82-470.89)/671.82) X 100.

Is that right or am I missing something?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's 29.91% by my calculation - which is amazing because to achieve that the discounts would beed to be much higher than the past year.

The highest discount, over the past 9 months, I could find was 37.20% on the Winter Jumbo packs in November & December 2017 and January & February 2018 - These were for 11 days of Power each (should be the same for everyone as it's 11 days of your annual consumption)

My Breakdown of the discounts offered over the 10 months is

Discount - Percentage of PP's = Days of Power at lowest cost
    Less than 10% - 6% = 18 Days
    10% to 12% - 12% = 38 Days
    12% to 15% - 18% = 56 Days
    15% to 19% - 14% = 43 Days
    20% to 30% - 34% = 107 Days
    More than 30% - 16% = 50 Days

Over a period of 312 Days (Just 53 remaining to make one year)
  • Tafrock
    Options
    As I've stated before I dont understand this days concept at all. However it looks like your figures claim 50% of your days have had a discount of above 20% of i understand your figures correctly

That suprises me. Its certainly not the case recently. Powerpacks with discounts above 20% have been as rare as 3 numbers on a lottery line. I've hardly bought any packs at all since February
  • Tafrock
    edited 1 July 2018 at 5:21PM
    Options
    Just counted my powerpack purchases. From June 6 until December 31. 56 packs bought

From January 1 up to today a mere 18. From March 1 until today a mere 8
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July 2018 at 7:23PM
    Options
    fewkeste wrote: »
    So, is this quote suggesting that buying no Powerpacks your annual bill would be Baseline - £671.82

And buying Powerpacks would give you an annual bill of £470.89

Is that correct?

Because that's a 29.9% discount!! ((671.82-470.89)/671.82) X 100.

Is that right or am I missing something?
    @fewkeste
    Those values where taken from the powershop website quote facility for my annual usage of 3707kWh electricity on the day I posted them.

Yes it is a large discount against the full price. But it means not missing a single powerpack deal. So no doubt building up a large surplus when powershop decide they want the money not me.

For just £12 a year more, I have a guaranteed rate for the next 12 months and don't have to worry about buying every single pack that comes up. (If I had gone variable rate with UP, I could have beaten the powershop deal by a few pounds)

I decided a 1 year fix was better value for me.

The so called powershop 1st year guarantee price is laughable as it is more expensive than some of npower's own tariffs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback