Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 21st Mar 09, 12:59 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 21st Mar 09, 12:59 PM
    21st Mar 09 at 12:59 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the April 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the March Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-03-2009 at 6:27 PM.
Page 36
  • prudence41
    Declaring for April, YTD date 417.85 against my annual target of 1400.00
    I wanna be Mortgage Free by February 2013
  • mr and mrs t
    Hi all
    Well done you all for this month, unfortunately I went over budget this month and am declaring 278 for this month, a big 28 over budget. I must get used to trying to get under budget before reducing my monthly spend. See you all in May.
    All the best
    Mr and mrs t
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 3rd May 09, 6:45 PM
    • 7,754 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Hi all

I'm declaring 148.25 for the month, I was aiming for a superfrugal 100 but really I'm so busy these days that going that low is unrealistic will try to be more sensible for next month. Cheers for at least attempting to keep me on the straight and narrow..

• milliejo
    • By milliejo 3rd May 09, 7:53 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 5,152 Thanks
    milliejo
    I am declaring at 275 against a budget of 310.
    Not quite sure how I managed it.
    Please put me down for 300 for May.
    This board really helps me to keep focused.
    • Hollysan
    • By Hollysan 3rd May 09, 8:43 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    Hollysan
    I am declaring at 336.31 for April. That's well below my budget of 450. I'm not sure how I did it either, but it's the first time for ages that we have been below target, so I'm really chuffed.

I think it might have been the fact that although we spent far too much in April, it was on other things, especially the holidays, and we were away for four days, so I had a week where I didn't buy much groceries, what with the bank holidays in April and being away. Spent lots of money on the dog and entertaining the kids though!

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage 78,000/67,690.73
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 4th May 09, 5:51 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 11,589 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Declaring at 147.24 for April. Wanted to set at 100 but as first month decided on 150 - was surprised I spent as much as this

How do people count meals out? I have been away for a few days and was staying with a friend so will have spent less on food at home but in return I felt it was only right to pay for her when we had a meal out
    • Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 5th May 09, 2:27 PM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    Am so late doing this lol.

Can I declare 356.64 for April, slightly over but not too bad.
    • Purpleclutterbuck
    • By Purpleclutterbuck 6th May 09, 11:26 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Purpleclutterbuck
    Oh boy! I forgot to declare my finally amount for April
    I managed to keep it down to 297 -not brilliant but next month I want to save at least thirty pounds -we shall see ......
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
  • Zend
    April Grocery Challenge
    Managed to save 20 this month, paid into Iceland trip fund. Mind, we did spend a fortune otherwise as on holiday for a week in b&b.
  • Intergalactic Floozie
    Yikes, I deviated from my just-go-to-morrisons-daily plan, and let myself loose in Farmfoods BUT I did get enough food to last us for seven evening meals and spent 28.30 and I'm going to have a go at making a fish pie tomorrow and the frozen fish & prawns were cheaper at FF than Morrisons
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target 8000
    Amount: 562.23
  • jackieglasgow

Making some falafel burgers today, for tomorrow:-
    450g chickpeas
    2 tsp ground coriander powder
    2 tsp ground cumin powder
    2 small onions, finely chopped
    4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp chilli powder (i prefer fresh chillies but this if for the kids)
    1 handful of fresh Coriander chopped (optoinal)
    2 tbs of chickpea flour or plain flour (to hold mixture together)
    salt (to taste)
    black pepper (to taste)

blend altogether and deep fry in very hot oil for 3 - 4mins till golden brown.
    you can keep them over night in the fridge just cover with a tea towel of kitchen roll

Originally posted by kezlou
    Just made these - kind of!! didn't have coriander powder so used curry powder, one medium onion, and mashed with a potato masher then pureed some of it and mixed it all up. Made falafel balls rather than burgers, and cooked one to check seasoning. Very very yum, so thanks, I love falafel, but they're so expensive, and hit and miss on flavour in the shops. Jackie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,609Posts Today

5,969Users online

Martin's Twitter