Car Hire from Nice Airport

Anyone hired a car from Nice airport and had a good experience? It seems luck of the draw if you get a crook or not and big names do not automatically mean you will get good service.

There are a few companies I have found on the normal comparison sites and checking the reviews on trip adviser there are lists of good and bad experiences with all companies but not from the airport.

I assume that if you are involved in any sort of accident then large sums of money will be emptied from my credit card and I may get it back via the excess insurance that I will take out ahead of travelling. I will be taking photos and video before I collect and when I drop it off and emailing them to myself, which I generally do on other times.

Costs for car hire are around £550 at the airport or £700 if I book with the hire company that my villa agent is suggesting that brings the car to the airport and takes it away again - £150 is a bit too much of a difference for me to be honest.

Comments

• maximise
    maximise Posts: 141
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Had a great service with hertz, good value and they have very helpful staff at Nice airport. I've used them a few times, only once there was a minor issue with the car but they simply invited me to return the car and swap it for another no problem. They also offered a free upgrade to a larger vehicle, I declined as the streets of southern France's towns can be compact. Recommend hertz and would use again.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    From the list https://en.nice.aeroport.fr/Passengers/SHOPS-SERVICES/Car-rental/Car-Rental avoid Europcar, interrent, gold car and firefly, all will give you hassle about extra insurance.

What rental period are you looking at and which month?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mid to end of August - need a 7 seater.

I dont mind getting hassle - I will buy excess insurance before I go and take the paperwork, just reading up on how to claim and you need the car hire companies to give you invoices of repairs to get your money back.

I guess I just need a firm that is helpful and not geared towards squeezing all of your money out of you.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2019 at 9:01AM
    Make sure your excess insurance includes driving a minibus in case a 7 seater car is not available.

Read reviews about the hassle you may get before deciding not to avoid such hassle.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    Forumite
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    will buy excess insurance before I go and take the paperwork
    No need to take the paperwork, it's of no concern to the hire firm. Don't even mention you have it.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Smevchenko
    Smevchenko Posts: 102
    Forumite
    richardw wrote: »
    From the list https://en.nice.aeroport.fr/Passengers/SHOPS-SERVICES/Car-rental/Car-Rental avoid Europcar, interrent, gold car and firefly, all will give you hassle about extra insurance.

What rental period are you looking at and which month?

Although not at Nice airport, I have just rented a car through Europcar and it was hassle free. Only hired an Opel Corsa for a week at Barcelona airport, cost was £55. They asked if I wanted insurance, I declined, they didn't mention it again or change their tone based on my refusal. Took some photos of scratches before I left...... returned the car, stood there while someone checked it over, did not need to refer back to photos and invoice arrived shortly via email confirming no further charges.

Based on that would use them again.

However it is fairly obvious one persons experience is completely different from someone else's.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879
    Forumite
    Thanks all. I ended up booking with Alamo - only issue was it ran out of Ad-Blue on the first day but sorted it fairly easily and got the money back for the additive.

I think its 100% pot luck with hire car companies and the car you get. We got a 6 month old Galaxy, needed 7 seats and didnt want to drive the van type people mover around, which had a couple of scrapes, took photos but didnt need to refer back to them, got my deposit back when I dropped it off.

One thing I would say, I was going to book it a couple of months in advance for £650 when I booked the flights but decided to wait until a week before and ended up paying £350 for the same car, same length of hire. Not sure why the price halved but glad I did wait.

Good luck folks, you may need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport