Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • superted187
    • By superted187 23rd May 19, 9:26 AM
    • 62Posts
    • 60Thanks
    superted187
    0 WOW
    ATM fees in Spain
    • 23rd May 19, 9:26 AM
    0 WOW
    ATM fees in Spain 23rd May 19 at 9:26 AM
    Hi all,

I've got a Monzo card that I've been using overseas for a few years. However, on my recent trips abroad, I've often found it best value to actually get a little cash from somewhere before you go, and then to just pay for most things on the Monzo wherever you can when abroad.

I'll give you an example. In some countries, it's normal for there to be an ATM charge when withdrawing money - this is the case in Thailand for example. So these aren't fees applied by your bank, but by the bank that operate the ATM.

Anyway, I'm trying to find out what the trend is in Spain right now for ATM fees. The research I've done seems to suggest that some banks will charge you more, and some will charge less.

Does anyone know what the current state of play is? Which banks in Spain charge what (if anything) for using their ATMs?

Thanks

Ted
Page 2
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 26th May 19, 11:36 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    0.5% for three months then reducing to 0.25% is not as good as Tandem is it ?
    Originally posted by mickey234
    Selective reading?

With the Barclaycard Platinum Travel/Cashback Plus, there is no Interest to be paid on ATM withdrawals if you cover the full statement balance. Some people may prefer that to having to cover ATM withdrawals immediately in order to avoid interest.

There are also benefits to having the Halifax Clarity over many other credit cards when travelling in certain countries, but I won't cover that here and anyway,
    With Tandem there is no interest free period on ATM withdrawals and no cashback. Which is why I stated that Tandem is one of many good cards for travel.
    I didn't say it wasn't a good card for travel.
    But when people are looking for an argument above all else, often what intelligence that might have had just fades away.
    If Tandem's cashback on foreign purchases places it above all other cards in your eyes, that is good for you. But there are other reasons to choose other cards.

I've already mentioned the benefit of the Barclaycard. Keeping your cash in your interest bearing account for up to two months longer and the convenience of not having to cover your ATM withdrawals whilst on holiday is a bigger benefit for some.

With Tandem, you can only withdraw up to 30% of your credit limit being another issue. So many would need a supplementary debit card. Again it means spending your cash instead of it earning interest.

So having an alternative may be better for some. I have a Tandem card and a Barclaycard Platinum Travel and a....

So don't hitch your wagon to someone who clearly got it wrong with their Santander advice, unless you too want to be viewed as an....
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 26th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Thanks for the apology.
    I will not lower myself to enter an argument with you
    Let other other readers decide. GOODBYE........
    Originally posted by travellerboy
    Let them decide if you were right about using their Santander debit card for free in Spain and Europe as you wrote?
    I think everyone, including your single 'supporter' knows that you got it wrong.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 26th May 19, 2:47 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Let other other readers decide
    I suggest you read post 17, I've just emphasised in bold the key aspects.

Happy to clarify anything.

Bottom line - you were wrong.

Just accept it and move on.

Incidentally, although I'm open to contradiction, I've read somewhere that Santander charge one of the highest cash withdrawal fees at ATMs in Spain in respect of non fee free qualifying accounts, and I would not be surprised if that's also the case in other parts of Europe.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 26-05-2019 at 7:45 PM.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 26th May 19, 8:05 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    From last year - Bankia and Euronet didn't charge.
    I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that all Euronet ATMs charged a fee, and have done for a few years.

The fee free list I found on an MSE thread in May 2019 listed Caixa, BBVA, BVM, Banco Popular Telebanco, Ibercaja and Abanca - but that has probably changed.

Didn't Santander acquire Banco Popular last year ? I think they have, (or are in the process of doing so) converted their ATMs to the Santander brand. However don't assume that means these ATMs are fee free for qualifying UK Santander debit cards.
    • steve900
    • By steve900 26th May 19, 8:22 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    steve900
    Hi. It seems to vary in different regions in Spain. Euronet on the Costa Del Sol charge me a fee with my Clarity, but the Euronet machines over on the Island of Majorca (Mallorca?) didn't.

On Costa Del Sol (Fuengirola at least) a whole lot of new Banco Popular machines have sprung up along the sea front and are attached to cafes and bars, these are free with a Clarity. However if I go to a Santander on the Costa Del Sol, the fee with Clarity if 5 EURO.

Very confusing.

(Just checked my statement and Banca March is free)
    Last edited by steve900; 26-05-2019 at 8:31 PM. Reason: To add about Banca March
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 27th May 19, 8:14 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Very confusing.
    Absolutely.

That's why a qualifying Santander card is the best option for Spain IMO - thy have the largest network of branches and ATMs there...........presumably.
    • jimrob
    • By jimrob 12th Jun 19, 5:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimrob
    Santander
    I have a Santander bank account in the UK and can use my debit card in Santader ATMs in Spain with no additional charges. I don't know what your problem is.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 12th Jun 19, 9:18 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I have a Santander bank account in the UK and can use my debit card in Santader ATMs in Spain with no additional charges. I don't know what your problem is

He failed to read Santander's relevant terms and conditions.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 12-06-2019 at 9:21 PM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jun 19, 10:17 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I have a Santander bank account in the UK and can use my debit card in Santader ATMs in Spain with no additional charges. I don't know what your problem is.
    Originally posted by jimrob
    The problem was this erroneous claim;

• NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Jun 19, 4:27 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    The problem was this erroneous claim;
    Plus insisting that he was correct, after having been advised otherwise, and would accept an apology from those who dissented.

Having dug the hole.............................................. ....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,260Posts Today

7,184Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LeedsWomensAid: We are pleased to see @MartinSLewis raising awareness about the important issue of financial abuse. Have a read of his?

• Didn't get your MSE weekly email today - for some reason Microsoft (inc outlook hotmail) filed many as spam so chec? https://t.co/GH6aH9CBTn

• RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Follow Martin