Duplicated transaction - Halifax not being helpful

jd87
jd87 Posts: 2,345 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I used my Halifax credit card on holiday last week to buy an item from a small independent electronics store in a Spanish shopping centre. This is just a little stall selling hairdryers, shavers, etc. Not a big set up. There was some trouble with the card machine connecting when I tried to make a payment but it went through eventually.

The transaction is now appearing twice on my credit card statement. I called Halifax and they said I need to contact the retailer first. There is absolutely no way to contact this retailer. They don't have a website, they don't come up on Google. Short of me booking a flight back out there and meeting them face to face, there is no way to contact them.

I tried explaining this to Halifax and was faced with a brick wall. Any advice?

Comments

• Make a chargeback claim
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    jd87 wrote: »
    I used my Halifax credit card on holiday last week to buy an item from a small independent electronics store in a Spanish shopping centre. This is just a little stall selling hairdryers, shavers, etc. Not a big set up. There was some trouble with the card machine connecting when I tried to make a payment but it went through eventually.

The transaction is now appearing twice on my credit card statement. I called Halifax and they said I need to contact the retailer first. There is absolutely no way to contact this retailer. They don't have a website, they don't come up on Google. Short of me booking a flight back out there and meeting them face to face, there is no way to contact them.

I tried explaining this to Halifax and was faced with a brick wall. Any advice?
    Sent them an email saying that you would like to request a chargeback for the duplicate transaction; quoting MasterCard Chargeback Reason Code 4999. Attach a copy of the statement (printscreen from the Internet banking might be the easiest).
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    Assuming it’s a Visa then the chargeback rules mean you must contact the merchant first to resolve. For MasterCard you do not.

You could always say you called them and they said they can’t help...... that would tick that particular box. It’s a simple chargeback.

You do get a lot of scams in Spain in electronic stores so I do hope it’s not that.

I also have no idea what reason code 4999 is.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    RC4834 seems to be the MasterCard duplicate processing Chargeback - it was just plain RC34 in my day

I found a website that suggests RC4999 is an EU region specific RC for disputing a Chargeback. Presumably, if an Acquirer wants to dispute a Chargeback they just represent it using the same RC as the original Chargeback but with a different Usage Code - why would they need a whole new RC? The website could be wrong of course.
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    RC4834 seems to be the MasterCard duplicate processing Chargeback - it was just plain RC34 in my day

I found a website that suggests RC4999 is an EU region specific RC for disputing a Chargeback. Presumably, if an Acquirer wants to dispute a Chargeback they just represent it using the same RC as the original Chargeback but with a different Usage Code - why would they need a whole new RC? The website could be wrong of course.

RC34 still exists but it’s about 8-10 different codes that have been combined. Duplicate is all but defunct and Paid by other Means isn’t valid when both transactions are chip and pin.

Should have a look at the latest manual for a laugh TT. We got the latest one a few weeks back.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    RC34 still exists but it’s about 8-10 different codes that have been combined. Duplicate is all but defunct and Paid by other Means isn’t valid when both transactions are chip and pin.

Should have a look at the latest manual for a laugh TT. We got the latest one a few weeks back.

Sadly, I am no longer in a position to see these rules and regs. In my day, there would be no possibility of laughing at them at all because we used to meet up to discuss/approve the 'language' used in the regs (UK Domestic, EU and occasionally Inter-regional) and, of course, we consulted with end users and made sure everything was perfect.;)
  • Emily_Joy
    Assuming it’s a Visa then the chargeback rules mean you must contact the merchant first to resolve. For MasterCard you do not.
    Most likely it was Halifax Clarity MasterCard; and Spain is in the EU.
  • Fortyfoot
    Fortyfoot Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 May 2019 at 7:30PM
    I was charged about £60 three times on my cotactless Clarity credit while in Tenerife for baccy and booze. I did not know till I got home, I thought there was a £30 cap.

My Halifax bank manager made up all sorts of excuses, he was very unprofessional. If he had worked for me he would have been sacked!

I did not contact the supplier. It was Lloyds who dealt with my complaint and got the two extra payments refunded. The chap was very good, here are his details.

Tobias-sweby, Edward (Contractor - Fraud & Disputes Lloyds, Community Banking)

Needless to say my Clarity card has now been swapped for a non contactless Clarity card.

Fortyfoot
  • Emily_Joy
    Fortyfoot wrote: »
    I was charged about £60 three times on my cotactless Clarity credit while in Tenerife for baccy and booze. I did not know till I got home, I thought there was a £30 cap.
    The contactless limit is set by banking system of the country where the card is used, not where it was issued.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure