On-grid domestic battery storage

Options

Comments

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Moixa have revised their on line dashboard in the last couple of days adding more screens and information. They now give you daily weekly and monthly figures for energy consumption, solar production and battery power provided.

Below are a couple of images.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/18k0ol405moe31j/IMG_0466.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxdo8fb5eecv7jj/IMG_0464.PNG?dl=0

Yes, I do need a bigger battery based on these figures.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I can squeeze this article onto this thread as flow batts have been mentioned before. This article is about a 'biggie' but you never know it might lead to economically priced domestic units, though expect them to be big too, perhaps 10-20kWh.

Anglian Water signs deal with ‘flow machine’ maker redT to optimise PV across multiple sites
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Great news! The Government is going to subsidise the cost of domestic batteries by 50%. :j

The bad news is that it's not our government. :(

Victorian Government will provide half price solar batteries for 10,000 households

I'd also say that the tapering down of the subsidy is very gentle, so looks like a 'proper' policy, not a short term gimmick.
    Under the scheme, homeowners can get a 50 percent rebate for installation of a battery storage unit, capped at AUD 4,838 (USD 3,441) in the first year and tapering down to AUD 3,714 by 2026 as the price of batteries comes down.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Update on the Cornish experiment .... that sounded a lot dodgier than I expected!

Solar and sonnen battery installations underway in Centrica’s Cornwall Local Energy Market
    The roll-out of technologies in Cornish homes comes almost two years on from the launch of the £19 million project, which seeks to build and test the capabilities of a virtual marketplace of distributed energy resources.

It will allow participants to trade energy and flexibility to the grid and wholesale energy market while reducing the energy bills of those taking part.

Sonnen was selected as the technology provider for the residential stream of the project following a competitive tender process in which it fought off competition from seven other firms. It has contracted SunGift Energy to complete the installations of around 700kWh of battery capacity across 100 homes, alongside 300kWp of new solar PV systems to be installed on an estimated 60 homes.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    This article may be of interest as it mentions cheaper storage costs than lithium, and is currently already deployed in remote areas, but I can't find much detail on any domestic offerings or current product plans, or cycle efficiencies, but maybe one to watch:

NantEnergy Says Zinc-Air Battery Ideal For Grid Storage

Nant Energy site

• Martyn1981
    Options

• Martyn1981
    Options
    The latest edition of Fully Charged focused on Powervault's new (model 3) system. Nothing exceptional to report (I think) but an interesting watch:

Powervault | Fully Charged

And an article about 'yet another' battery offering:

Pika Energy Storage Unveils Its Upgradable Residential Energy Storage Solution

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,004 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

On the octopus energy agile tariff web page you can download 12 months of half hourly 'spot' prices. When I get time I will multiply these by my generation for the same period and see what it would have been worth at those prices. They generally see a big bump from 3pm to 8pm so I am thinking my WSW generation may prove to have been worth nearly as much as the fit plus export payment....I will also try 'left-shifting' my generation by 3 hours and adding 10% to compare against what it would have been worth if it was S facing.
    I think....
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2018 at 1:14PM
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    On the octopus energy agile tariff web page you can download 12 months of half hourly 'spot' prices. When I get time I will multiply these by my generation for the same period and see what it would have been worth at those prices. They generally see a big bump from 3pm to 8pm so I am thinking my WSW generation may prove to have been worth nearly as much as the fit plus export payment....I will also try 'left-shifting' my generation by 3 hours and adding 10% to compare against what it would have been worth if it was S facing.

I enquired about changing to the Agile tariff, which gave me access to the actual daily half hourly rates for the current days. It turned out the rates were much higer than those for last year, most of the time (not just during the peak period).
    Therefore, I have switched to the Octopus Go tariff as the overnight rate for 4 hours is fixed at 5p/kWh and the day rate is just about 14p/kWh (depending on region).
    I think I can use an api to find out what the current Agile rates are for the next 24 hours for this region; so if I can I'll let you know what they are.
    Extract for a couple of hours from last night:
    "value_exc_vat": 9.26, "value_inc_vat": 9.723, "valid_from": "2018-10-12T03:00:00Z", "valid_to": "2018-10-12T03:30:00Z" }, { "value_exc_vat": 7.92, "value_inc_vat": 8.316, "valid_from": "2018-10-12T02:30:00Z", "valid_to": "2018-10-12T03:00:00Z" }, { "value_exc_vat": 8.8, "value_inc_vat": 9.24, "valid_from": "2018-10-12T02:00:00Z", "valid_to": "2018-10-12T02:30:00Z" }, { "value_exc_vat": 11, "value_inc_vat": 11.55, "valid_from": "2018-10-12T01:30:00Z", "valid_to": "2018-10-12T02:00:00Z" }, { "value_exc_vat": 12.96, "value_inc_vat": 13.608, "valid_from": "2018-10-12T01:00:00Z", "valid_to": "2018-10-12T01:30:00Z"
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    Another point to note is that the rates they charge on Agile are twice the wholesale rate that they pay for most of the time. Except that during the peak period they also add on about another 20p/kWh.

Therefore, if you are thinking of B2G or V2G, remember that you are only likely to get a maximum of half the rates shown in the downloaded rates.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback