Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Apr 11, 11:45 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Apr 11, 11:45 AM
    May 2011 Grocery Challenge 27th Apr 11 at 11:45 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fifth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #7 and #8 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-04-2011 at 3:42 PM.
Page 22
    • looie
    • By looie 11th May 11, 11:37 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    Just updated sig with 6.56 last night at t's.

There was not one biccy in the house and really fancied one - I know I shouldn't diet out of the window again
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 11th May 11, 12:21 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    can i just ask how much you all spend on meat a month? i worked out spend just over 30 a month if i don't get any reductions this includes 9 portions of mince,3 gammon, 3 portions of chicken, 2 portions of fish, 2 portions of sausages,4 portions of bacon, and a roast big enough for 3 dinners
    Originally posted by quintwins
    In March I spent 51.30 -fish/prawns x 4, steak, chicken x4, jt. beef, jt. pork x 2, sandwhich meats, gammon, sausage, bacon x2, liver and in April it was 58.88 -fish /prawn x 7, sausage x 2, chicken x 2, steak, gammon, bacon, pork chops, mince beef, sandwhich meats, Oh dear seeing it wrote down makes me realise just how much we spent. Blimey seems an awful lot doesnt it. I cant bulk meat out with lentils as I absolutely HATE them with a passion. I do add some oats though to stews, cottage pies etc and always add lots of veg in. No doubt I also used some meat that was in the freezer as well.
    As a matter of interest the amount I spend on fruit and veg has been just slightly higher than the meat both months - this is just fresh fruit & veg as frozen and any tinned veg are under a different heading i.e. freezer and tins/pkts etc. (super organised or anal retentive? - take your pick but I prefer super organized)

Have got some french onion soup cooking - havent made this for years so hope its ok.

Today have spent 15.12 fruit, veg, eggs, tomato juice, prawns and a couple of other bits. Will do main shop tomorrow.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • ebayqueen
    Aftenoon all

Hi to Mothership...so sorry to hear about your daughter and your mothers funeral details. What a lunatic you have for a neighbour..I would certainly consider contacting the Police. Life not simple is it.

Just a quick update. Doing well this week had to pop to Lidl for cereal and and spent 4.74. Top up of fresh fruit, dishwasher tablets, cat food etc at Mr T's and spent 22.19. Milk this morning as well at local shop. All in all I am happy with my progress this week.
    Best wishes to all and hugs to those who need them
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
  • helen jelly
    Mothership - go to the Police - racial motivated or not, what a horrible person, if I'd been your daughter I think he would of had a right mouthful of me!!

Flip, flip, flip - spent more money at Sainsbugs and L!dl

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th May 11, 1:34 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    In March I spent 51.30 -fish/prawns x 4, steak, chicken x4, jt. beef, jt. pork x 2, sandwhich meats, gammon, sausage, bacon x2, liver and in April it was 58.88 -fish /prawn x 7, sausage x 2, chicken x 2, steak, gammon, bacon, pork chops, mince beef, sandwhich meats, Oh dear seeing it wrote down makes me realise just how much we spent. Blimey seems an awful lot doesnt it. I cant bulk meat out with lentils as I absolutely HATE them with a passion. I do add some oats though to stews, cottage pies etc and always add lots of veg in. No doubt I also used some meat that was in the freezer as well.
    As a matter of interest the amount I spend on fruit and veg has been just slightly higher than the meat both months - this is just fresh fruit & veg as frozen and any tinned veg are under a different heading i.e. freezer and tins/pkts etc. (super organised or anal retentive? - take your pick but I prefer super organized)
    Originally posted by Billie-jo
    nothing wrong with being organised, on mine included some ham aswell, i can't really use lentils or oats to bulk stuff out as hubby doesn't like it, he never complains about anything so the fact that he has said he doesn't like it is reason enough not to do it so i tend to bulk mine out with alot of frozen veg, i'd say if you include taties in it i spend just as much of not more than you in veg, altho that does include froze and i don't buy tinned veg and rarely will buy a tin of fruit
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 11th May 11, 1:35 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi peeps

siggy is now up to dateish, i have one more receipt to prise out of DH`s wallet when he arrives home and then i can relax.

Both freezers are full to bursting point and i really need to make a new list of the contents as quite a few things have been put in there without being added to the original list. I have a huge bowl of mixed salad in the fridge that i made yesterday which was supposed to last 3 days for both of us but it will have to keep longer than that now, i`ve just had two days off work and i was really looking forward to them but i`ve been under the weather and the glands in my neck have been swollen, this morning i`ve been suffering with S&D so i`ve had to ring work and tell them that i won`t be in - honestly i feel really fed up.

DH rang not so long since and told me that his glands are starting to go the same way as mine and he feels ropey so i`m guessing that he will be in the same boat as me too Its the fact that the prepped food being wasted thats irritating me most - that and the fact that i`ve not had any time off sick at work for absolutely ages so now i`ve ruined my record I have no appetite whatsoever but my tum is making the most horrible noises! Think that i shall try and have a sleep for an hour and then if i feel up to it later try and update the freezer list.

Hello everyone
    I was wondering if I posted up some of our fave meals whether anyone might be able to recommend how to cut costs?:

-thai green curry (Mr S chicken, tinned sauce- no idea if it would be cheaper to do my own- served with rice)
    Originally posted by nikki1986
    Hi Nikki

We love thai green curry and i make it often, i buy the block coconut that needs dissolving in hot water to save money and it tastes exatly the same as a tin of milk. I use a third of the block for two huge portions, it can be a pain chopping it up when its so solid but worth it for the saving. I use a concentrated thai green curry paste instead of the jar of sauce and i find this to be a huge saving, if its a large jar then i can get 4servings for the price of one jar of sauce. I used to buy the MrM one as its really strong so the jar goes further but they didn`t have any last time i went in so i`m trying a different one next time.

Instead of chicken try fish, i buy a pack of frozen cod portions for 4 and there are 4 in the pack so each pack makes this dish twice, just add onions and green peppers and maybe a few green beans to bulk it out and this makes for a lovely dish. A rough estimate of the cost is less than 2 per head including the rice, if i use frozen peppers instead of fresh then this brings the cost down more but i love the crunch of the green peppers

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • SavingJane
    • By SavingJane 11th May 11, 2:33 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    SavingJane
    Hi all

Just doing food order does anyone know if PG Tips are on offer anywhere, need to order some but thought see if any deals atm, have A$da or Te$co to pick from

Thanks
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 11th May 11, 3:01 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    DH offered to go for milk to Mr M and spent 22.41

Whiskas pouches are on offer at 3 boxes for 6 so at least he bought a few. Meal plan done until friday so hopefully no more spends until the weekend. It seems like a loooong month so far
    Originally posted by cookiemum
    wish we had a Mr M........
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 11th May 11, 3:07 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    wish we had a Mr M........
    Originally posted by cutiepieabf
    Every once in a while pouches are on offer on the Amazon website with free delivery so its worth stocking up when this happens. Its not too often but can make good saving especially when the delivery isn`t payable.

Ours alternates between felix and whiskas so its not too difficult for me as by the time we are coming to an end of our stocks i`ve usually already placed another order.I`ve currently got over 250 pouches stashed in a corner of the spare room Saved me loads though

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 11th May 11, 3:30 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Every once in a while pouches are on offer on the Amazon website with free delivery so its worth stocking up when this happens. Its not too often but can make good saving especially when the delivery isn`t payable.

Ours alternates between felix and whiskas so its not too difficult for me as by the time we are coming to an end of our stocks i`ve usually already placed another order.I`ve currently got over 250 pouches stashed in a corner of the spare room Saved me loads though

HTH

SD
    Originally posted by Sunnyday
    i would never think of amazon for cat food!! but i shall keep my eye out now!! thank you!!
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • Pixie Fairydust
    • By Pixie Fairydust 11th May 11, 6:16 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 3,797 Thanks
    Pixie Fairydust
    Hi all
    Haven't got a budget this month, but will try to be in for June.

Money is really tight for us this month so am having to be careful with grocery shopping. I have a free delivery from A$da on line so will use that this week. I find internet grocery shopping is cheaper than if I wander around a supermarket.

Made veggie lasagne tonight and used up some onions and peppers that were past their best! No complaints though! Have enough 'mince' mixture for tomorrow eve, will add some curry/chilli and a tin of chick peas and have with jacket pots.

Also made eves pudding (apples on the turn!) & custard, all gone too!

Love this thread, have a good evening, just off to do the washing up!

Pixie
    It's the most wonderful time of the year!
    Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica!
    I wish you were here.
    But you're not, you're there.
    And there doesn't know how lucky it is.

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 11th May 11, 6:25 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...hope all are doing well...i spent a tenner in aldi today and 20 in asd$...seemed to get a few bits...i always run ouof summat though which is a pain...i am determined to make everything from scratch but the raw ingredients seem to cost a lot...i made a pie for tea and going to try and make fried rice tomorrow...i like the sound of the eves pudding...im going to try that

have a nice evening...superscrimpers is on later...i like watching that

tata tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 11th May 11, 6:47 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    3.59 spent in Tesco on shaving gel, wraps, bagels and a newspaper. Spotted the shaving gel on UKHotDeals - a twinpack of Gillette for 1.02 so bought 2 packs. It'll last for ages - bargain!

Also, the wraps and bagels are from the Weight Watchers range, which i'd never usually look at, but they were half price. 50p for 6 wraps (slightly smaller than usual ones) and 67p for 5 bagels which I thought was quite a good price.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 11th May 11, 8:23 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Up to 127.44 now, with 20 days left. Hmm... Don't even need to be creative with meal plan, as I have everything I need for about a thousand meals! I just need to stay out of the sms.

In theory, 22.56 is ample for my needs for the rest of the month. In practice, however, I will spend that the next time I go, and prob more too.

What I'm doing differently this month, is a spreadsheet of ALL of my spends, and there are very few days that go by when I spend no money whatsoever. That's really quite bad, and needs a bit of attention. In fairness, I'm not in debt, other than a massive mortgage; I'm paying off an extra 300 a month on that, and I have savings too, but what annoys me is that I could do so much more with the money, eg days out for the children, decorating their rooms, etc. Instead, I spend money on food and miscellaneous !!!!. Why am I so stupid?!! (And it's not like I'm thick - I have a maths degree!!!)

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • espresso21
    O dear, I succumbed to a take-away tonight (12 that I shouldn't have spent). The worst thing is that it wasn't even that good so I am feeling doubly annoyed that I gave in.
  • scotsaver
    The Peach Pud was a success, the Recipe was on the back of my Packet of Ground Rice, it's called "Tropical Rice Dessert" and you're suppossed to use a tin of Pineapple but I had some Peach slices to up so here goes:-

400g Can of Pineapple (peaches in my case)
    1pt Milk
    2oz Ground Rice
    1oz Caster Sugar
    2oz Sultanas
    2oz Desiccated Coconut

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Drain the fruit and put in an ovenproof dish. Put the milk, ground rice, sugar and sultanas into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously, cook gently for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and add half the coconut. Pour this over the pineapple and pop in the oven for 10 mins. Sprinkle the remaining coconut over and bake for a further 20 mins.

Dinner tonight is HM Chilli, I bulk mine out with baked beans as well as Kidney beans. Pudding will be something with Rhubarb as I picked some from the Allotment yesterday.

Should be a NSD today as I have everything in that we need until Monday hopefully.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• sistercas
    • By sistercas 12th May 11, 5:59 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    sistercas
    sunny day hope you are feeling better and have got your appetite back

off to sainsbugs and a!di today , i need to tally up my spends ( which are quite significant ) which i will do later

spiggle / hippeechiq hope you are both ok x
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 12th May 11, 8:17 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, another nsd today i'm now at 5 in a row tea is last nights sheperds pie because my ashma started playing up so i didn't cook it so we all just had sandwichs or pasta instead, i'm now down to drinking black coffee and i had to do half and half for DS3 breakfast so def need to go shopping tomorrow
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • farmers-marketeer
    140 for May
    140 for May please

As of yesterday 10th 37.28 so well on target

Still well down on the alcohol and finding it much easier to budget overall thanks for this.

Best bargain 3 x 500g M & S roast chicken pies 1 5 days from use by date mainly in freezer ready to take to a friends house Bank Holiday weekend.
  • Mothership
    Good shop
    A wee trip to M*******s last night to get DD2 her shopping , I ended up buying a few things.

GC
    2 Packs Tortelloni 1.60
    Carrots , parsley. 1.00
    2 pack Samosas & Bhajis 1.00
    2 double packs Jaffa Cakes 2.00
    2 Apple Pies 1
    Total Spend 6.60

2nd Purse
    6 Cartons Chopped Tomatoes B1G1F 2 for 69p = 2.07
    4 Cartons Best Tomatoes with Olives B1G1F 2 for 75p =1.50
    Total Spend 3.57

DD2 bought our dinner at M*******s last night, a wee break from cooking for me YAY!
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

240Posts Today

2,975Users online

Martin's Twitter