PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor hasn't input solicitors details

Options
Hello! I think I might be stressing over nothing but it's my first time putting an offer on a house. This is all through Purplebricks. The property was on the market for £135,000.
I viewed the property on Saturday. My partner and I both really liked it so we spoke to our mortgage advisor and put an offer of £130,000 on that evening. The vendor got back in touch on Sunday thanking us for our offer and letting us know they had a viewing on Monday evening and they would get in touch after that. Because of how Purplebricks works we were then notified that another person had booked a viewing. On Monday evening (I assume after the viewing) the vendor got back in touch and declined our offer of £130,000 but said they would accept asking price (£135,000) so we upped our offer and they accepted. It was then marked as sold STC, and I was told to ring PurpleBricks where they took down the details of our solicitor. I also then rang our mortgage advisor and officially put him to work. Since then we have heard nothing from the vedndor or Purplebricks. It says at the top of the 'Offers' page 'The offer will only be formally accepted when both parties' lawyer details have been entered.' I know the vendor are looking to move into another house so it's a chain purchase, but how long is too long to wait for them to find a solicitor? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't start the ball rolling until the chain is complete. Or at least line people up, but don't start anything that will cost you money. The mortgage deals that are around now might not be available in a month or two's time, so I'd forget that too for now. Maybe they will sort a solicitor once they've got somewhere to go.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    It can take a couple of weeks for sellers to instruct a solicitor; perhaps they have sold quicker than they anticipated and are ringing around for quotes.

Are you still able to communicate with the seller via email/phone? Leave it a bit, or you'll look too keen.
  • avacapri
    avacapri Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    not sure it that's the best advice - i would start the ball rolling if you secure a mortgage offer now and if the purchase does not go through quite a few mortgage lenders will roll over the deal onto a new property and with interest rates rumoured to rise i certainly would start the ball rolling.
    Plus its only a couple of days they may just be getting quotes - my advice carry on as normal
  • hazyjo
    Options
    avacapri wrote: »
    ...quite a few mortgage lenders will roll over the deal onto a new property and with interest rates rumoured to rise i certainly would start the ball rolling.
    Not in my experience if rates change. They would be very unlikely to extend the mortgage offer if new rates were in place.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No experience of Purple Bricks but I would be tempted to send the vendor a message/text/email stating that your mortgage offer isn't valid for much longer (don't be specific) and is there any hold up?
  • hazyjo
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    No experience of Purple Bricks but I would be tempted to send the vendor a message/text/email stating that your mortgage offer isn't valid for much longer (don't be specific) and is there any hold up?
    Any offer will prob be valid for 6 months, and they won't even have it yet! They'll only have an agreement in principle at best!

Way too soon to be chasing IMO. I would only want to know when the chain is complete, then start doing stuff or chasing re their solicitor.
  • Alexiskitty
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    It can take a couple of weeks for sellers to instruct a solicitor; perhaps they have sold quicker than they anticipated and are ringing around for quotes.

Are you still able to communicate with the seller via email/phone? Leave it a bit, or you'll look too keen.

I think I'm just going to chase on Monday (1 weeks from the offer being accepted) and see how they are progressing on their side
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe that didnt realise they had to put the solicitors details in. Theres ni reason not to have it sorted by now.

We had our solicitor instructed as soon as house went on the market. We had filled our forms and sent them back long before we even got an offer.
  • Alexiskitty
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your advice. I think I'm just overestimating how quickly these things are done.
  • Alexiskitty
    Alexiskitty Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2018 at 12:31PM
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    Maybe that didnt realise they had to put the solicitors details in. Theres ni reason not to have it sorted by now.

We had our solicitor instructed as soon as house went on the market. We had filled our forms and sent them back long before we even got an offer.

I'm not sure, they might not have instructed anyone until they have found a place to go into which I understand. I don't want it to seem like I'm forcing them out by chasing all the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure