PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House for sale 8 weeks and no viewings

Options

Comments

• Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Price, price, price. Three-bed price for a 2-bed (+ shower room!?) house. The large downstairs doesn't match the small upstairs.

You also lack measurements on the floor plan, this suggests that the house is small (or your EA is lazy...!).

This really struck me too. The house interior is quite appealing so the front door looks really out of place. Not the best thing for buyers to see first.

Also, You're selling for nearly 100k more only five years after you bought it. What work have you done to the house? If it is just decoration and routine building maintenance, that seems like a big jump. Given what others have said about plans for an incinerator etc. and the fact you are selling at a 3 bed price, it's not surprising you are struggling to get people through the door. Can you afford to reduce the price?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The site opposite is a question mark too. It's obviously due for redevelopment, but into what?

People don't like uncertainty.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72168971.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69508130.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54374796.html

I am not stumped as to why you have not had any viewings. 5 minutes of research on Rightmove told me that your 2 bed house with no access to the back apart from through the house has the asking price of a 3 bed. The 3 beds are sold. You need to reduce the price to well below what you can buy a 3 bed for or you will not get any offers.

rightmove provide a handy link in the top right

more like this £210-£270 2 bed+ 1/2mile inc SSTC

14 for sale and 6 SSTC.

Someone preferred this 2 bed at £230

reduce the low price to zero, extend the distance to 1m only 2 beds

14 for sale and 3 SSTC
    change to 3m
    36 & 38. see what 2 beds are selling for.

There are a few at around £250k
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would require two bathrooms, shower rooms but not one opening from a dining room. That for me is a definite no.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    It's the price first and foremost. I'd buy a three bed that needed work rather than your two bed. No access to the garden other than through the house is a no-no. The front door is beyond hideous. The redevelopment site over the road would make me nervous and finally the road development and planned incinerator would be the final nail in the coffin of your house.

Reduce the price to try and attract a buy to let buyer.
  • sx_turbo
    sx_turbo Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72168971.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69508130.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54374796.html

I am not stumped as to why you have not had any viewings. 5 minutes of research on Rightmove told me that your 2 bed house with no access to the back apart from through the house has the asking price of a 3 bed. The 3 beds are sold. You need to reduce the price to well below what you can buy a 3 bed for or you will not get any offers.

We actually went and looked at those, and there is a reason they were that cheap, they were in need of a lot of work and were priced to sell (all 3 were re-posessions) and were actually up for sometime at a much higher price, and were gradually reduced.

There is other 2 beds in the village that have been pretty similar to ours sells for 240 250 and there are others up for a similar price. In fact 1 sold last week and we are not sure why they didn't look at ours whilst in the village.
  • sx_turbo
    Options
    It's the price first and foremost. I'd buy a three bed that needed work rather than your two bed. No access to the garden other than through the house is a no-no. The front door is beyond hideous. The redevelopment site over the road would make me nervous and finally the road development and planned incinerator would be the final nail in the coffin of your house.

Reduce the price to try and attract a buy to let buyer.

The house is under conservation area the front door cannot be changed.

Terrace hoses don't usually have side access unless end of terrace sonic don't really see this as a valid point.

Our downstairs is much larger than a lot of 3 beds we have seen. We are just missing that 3rd room ( most 3 beds seem to have a useless 3rd room)
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    sx_turbo wrote: »
    The house is under conservation area the front door cannot be changed.

Terrace hoses don't usually have side access unless end of terrace sonic don't really see this as a valid point.

Our downstairs is much larger than a lot of 3 beds we have seen. We are just missing that 3rd room ( most 3 beds seem to have a useless 3rd room)

Most people don’t want a bathroom which comes off the dining room. It only adds to the feeling that it’s very unbalanced in terms of space

Your house is somewhere in between a 2 bed started home and a 3 bed family home. Too expensive for the first, and not big enough for the second. No one aiming for that starter home will want to pay extra for a downstairs bathroom
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is hard to take the emotion out of House buying and selling. EA can only give a guide and always go high. If you want to move you have to price it right to get viewers through the door. You will never sell otherwise.
    Looking at others up the road or nearby that are SSTC won’t help yours sell. They May have taken a large % drop on their asking price. Thinking yours is better or as good won’t get it sold either.
    It really doesn’t matter what others have sold for either, they are not your exact House.
    It does make a difference if you have a 3rd box room. Great for nursery’s and children’s bedrooms. People with 2 kids would rather have a 3rd box room so the kids have their own space.

You only have one option - drop the price again.
  • sx_turbo
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The site opposite is a question mark too. It's obviously due for redevelopment, but into what?

People don't like uncertainty.

The old factory and the old power station next to it are listed buildings, and the site has zinc contamination from the old zinc dipping tanks they used to have.

So it is going to be very expensive for the developer.

It will be made into housing at some point, but there are no immediate plans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure