Investment ISA transfer for non-uk resident?

Hi everyone,

I need some advice regarding opening an investment ISA. I am a non-resident UK citizen who has moved to the USA (through marriage - I now have a green card). I live in the US and do not plan to return to the UK. I am not resident in the UK for tax purposes.

I have a large sum sitting in a cash ISA and the rate is terrible. I would like to invest it in an investment ISA but am struggling to find a company that allows non-residents to open a new account. I was considering moving it to the US and investing there but I am not sure this is best for two reasons: 1. the exchange rate GBP to USD is not good right now, and 2. My student loan is half of the amount I have saved and I need to pay in GBP, so it makes sense to keep at least this in GBP.

Any advice would be wonderful. I know that I cannot add new funds - I am not wanting to do that, just to make my savings work for me and it looks like investment is the way to go.

Does anyone know of a provider of investment ISAs that allows non-residents to open?

Please help!

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,271 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can't open a new ISA for the purpose of transferring the existing one as you are non-resident. The same would probably be true of taxable UK savings accounts - at least those with competitive interest rates.

I agree, keeping some exposure to GBP makes sense if a proportion of your spending is in sterling.

Investment could be an option if you can take a risk with the money. I presume there are investment firms that allow you to have accounts in multiple currencies over in the US just like we have in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure