Discuss the Flog Your Junk For Cash guide

Options

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I looked for toilet roll tubes in the completed listings on eBay

Almost all had remained unsold, but maybe between 5 and 10% had made 4 to 6 pence each in batches of 40 or more.

I don't think may people would be patient enough to give them house room, first while building up stock, then listing them maybe a dozen times to get rid of them.

In the recycling bin, and instead cut back on your drinking by half a pint of beer or equivalent per year.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    you've just saturated the market, lowering the prices......
    redux wrote: »
    I looked for toilet roll tubes in the completed listings on eBay

Almost all had remained unsold, but maybe between 5 and 10% had made 4 to 6 pence each in batches of 40 or more.

There appears to be a limited market for toilet roll tubes (surprise, surprise!) Trying to penetrate a buyer's market is little short of pointless.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • blink18
    blink18 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    So 50 loo rolls for £5, minus fees and postage and you've made 2 quid, or even a loss depending on how bulky the box is
  • wightmouse
    Options
    Having read your Flogging Your Junk For Cash article I have to point out that you can only post perfume if it is in it's original retail packaging, placed in strong outer packaging and cushioned to prevent breakage. An empty bottle would contain flammable fumes and a tiny drop of flammable liquid. It should therefore be refused at the Post Office counter unless it is in it's original packaging (if the clerk was doing their job correctly). If it was posted it could be destroyed and the sender could be prosecuted so really not worth it!
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aaaargh. I received an email from eBay about viewing an item recently, so now they think I'm interested.
  • L33bou
    L33bou Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    its the middle class equivalent of wandering the streets with a shopping trolley and picking up drinks cans.

If it helps someone earn a bit of money i think its helpful, shame you feel you have to be negative
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    L33bou wrote: »
    If it helps someone earn a bit of money i think its helpful, shame you feel you have to be negative

Even "earn a bit of money" is optimistic! Unless you have a large family or someone with IBS (or similar) how long will it take you to save 40/50 toilet roll tubes? Chances of selling them? 5-10%, even less if more people start selling.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • fraserbooks
    Options
    I collect them for a charity but used postage stamps sold in 1 kg bulk lots do quite well on e.bay.
  • Firemunchkin
    Options
    I save my loo rolls for planting seeds in, so saving them isn't an issue for me and they don't take up as much room as you'd think. I have a beach bag under a hall table that I throw them in. Gets about 40 in there. But, as I'm likely to use them, any I don't I'd probably prefer to donate to my local allotments rather than try making pennies out of them. Still, it's a great way to reduce overall waste (even recycling uses up energy so is a last resort for the zero waste movement - better to reuse than recycle).

The other ideas, milk bottle tops, can pulls, corks, jars etc all seem sensible too. I reuse my corks and jars anyway (jams, chutneys, cork homemade gifts) but if other things have a reuse I'll save them to pass on, regardless of whether I can sell them or not (see above re reuse over recycle) although making a few extra quid isn't a bad thing!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nobody will pay even a penny for empty toilet roll tubes !!
    I don't think that MSE lives in the real world
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure