Facing up and cracking on

Options

Comments

• remote_control
    Options
    Well unfortunately we had to buy a car so the debt went up. But we've been working really hard and have got it down to
    £23,823.74

Still really ashamed by it but I can see it will be starting with a 1 soon!

We've been keeping a record of what we spend and that is going well.

Look forward to updating!
  • timetobefrugal
    Options
    Hi remote_control don't be ashamed! We all have ups and downs and will be on this journey a while, things come up and set us back, just keep going :)
    Debt Total October 2017 £20,511.27 :eek::eek:
  • remote_control
    Options
    Ouch last month was an expensive one. All food!
  • remote_control
    Options
    Feeling a bit blurgh about it all. Scrabbling about to get £3 here and there on ebay. Think we're going to have to mega cut back on food as that is the only place left to cut back. I just can't quite face buying Tesco value! I just worry about the taste, quality and the ethics behind some of it. Anyway needs must and maybe if we just did it for a few months we can go back to normal own brand food!
  • remote_control
    Options
    We're continuing on at a snail's pace. I am writing down bank balance and debt balance every morning in an attempt to keep it all fresh in my mind. A few small ebay sales here and there but then they always seem to be counteracted by something essential that we need. Have down-graded our shop so hopefully that will make a difference.
  • remote_control
    Options
    Hi all,

Been feeling quite down about it all and had a few sleepless nights. I have been reunited with my spreadsheet though as my computer broke but is all fixed now. This has really cheered me up. I have been writing down what we spend each month since August and looking back we spend less than comes in each month, we've just been paying too much off the debt and are constantly in our overdraft. New plan, pay a bit less off the debt and get out of our overdraft over the next couple of months. In the middle of balance transfers which always throw things up in the air a bit. This time next month we will have a new 0% card for 29 months!! Couple of ebay sales so another £10 in today.
  • remote_control
    Options
    Another day, onwards and downwards! Decided I need to change my attitude and stop beating myself up. The debt goes down each month and while it's not as quick as I like it is going down. Just making lunch to take to work.
  • remote_control
    Options
    My change of attitude has worked really well and I've started sleeping better! Little bits of money trickling in from Ebay and I'm sure we're saving money now we've downgraded our shop, won't see the results of that until next month when I look at what we spent in March.

My new plan with the debt is just to think what the total number begins with, e.g. we're currently in the 21 thousands. I reckon once we get in the teens it's going to feel like it's going down a lot quicker.

Thinking of plucking up the courage to post an SOA but I'm a bit embarrassed by it at the moment!!
  • DancingUnicorn
    Options
    Hello!

It sounds like you've had a bit of a tough start with a few setbacks but you're getting into some good habits and finding what works for you.

I think an SOA would really help you, please don't be embarrassed about it! You don't have to share it, but if you do I've found people on here to be absolutely lovely and kind with their words and ideas for saving here and there.

Did you ever try the own brand stuff? I can't bring myself to do it personally, but I do shop around for the bargains and stock up when I see them. I love home bargains, b&m, Iceland, etc and buy all my usual branded stuff at a fraction of the price and now refuse to pay any extra! Is this something you could try?

Good luck for your journey, not long until your debt is in the teens!
    LBM: October 2016: £20,130 / Current: May 2019: £12,576 37.53%
    DFD: [STRIKE]February 2024[/STRIKE] April 2022?
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed about your SOA. It is just a starting point. Lots of people on here knock hundreds off their budgets once they know where they are going wrong.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure