Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wavelets wrote: »
    Thanks.

Cheque's in the post :)

Cheque returned in post today :(

Accompanying message says they regret they are unable to accept payment by cheque and for me to refer to my bill for acceptable methods of payment. :cool:
  • hehoho
    hehoho Posts: 8 Forumite
    Well I'm a very modest energy user and have been with Ebico for years. The service under SSE was great.

I didn't manage to switch away in August, and have received a letter requesting my quarterly energy readings. The letter is dated 16 Oct 2017 and gives me 7 days to submit the readings. The letter arrived yesterday, 23 October 2017.

You could say - but I wouldn't - that the administration has improved because this letter lingered in Ebico/RHE's office for only 8 days instead of 15.

Having submitted my readings just now, it remains to be seen whether I receive an actual or estimated bill.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I have just received my quarterly bill, it took a while to arrive from me giving them the readings. The bill is a bit confusing, on the front the balance payable is £43.46, sounds reasonable, I am a very low user. Over the page it lists my meter readings from April through to 12th Oct, and the total charges for that is £92.40.

On the front page it confirms that they received my previous payment on 14th August, of £48.94. Underneath it says new charges including this bill, £92.40. Under that it says Please pay £43.46 by 15th November.

Doesn't make sense to me. Why haven't they drawn a line under the previous quarter, and started afresh with the new quarter, using the closing readings of the previous quarter.

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it's about right, but what a faff. It's taken them over three weeks from them preparing the bill to me receiving it.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ilona wrote: »
    I have just received my quarterly bill, it took a while to arrive from me giving them the readings. The bill is a bit confusing, on the front the balance payable is £43.46, sounds reasonable, I am a very low user. Over the page it lists my meter readings from April through to 12th Oct, and the total charges for that is £92.40.

On the front page it confirms that they received my previous payment on 14th August, of £48.94. Underneath it says new charges including this bill, £92.40. Under that it says Please pay £43.46 by 15th November.

Doesn't make sense to me. Why haven't they drawn a line under the previous quarter, and started afresh with the new quarter, using the closing readings of the previous quarter.

I'm not quibbling about the amount, it's about right, but what a faff. It's taken them over three weeks from them preparing the bill to me receiving it.

Ilona

Was your previous bill based on an actual reading, or an estimate?

Mine just details usage in the last quarter, and notes on the first page the value of the previous bill, the payment made, and the new charges.

What I am unhappy about is that it only shows the cost of gas in pence per kWh. There's no mention of the CV and VC values used.... something I've got on my list of things to check up on ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    EachPenny wrote: »

What I am unhappy about is that it only shows the cost of gas in pence per kWh. There's no mention of the CV and VC values used.... something I've got on my list of things to check up on ;)

Allow me.... from the Gas Supply Licence

Information about amount of gas supplied

31.4 If the licensee gives a Bill or statement of account to a Domestic Customer in which Charges for the Supply of Gas are expressed in terms of the Amount of gas supplied, that bill or statement of account must include:

(a) an explanation of the basis on which the amount is calculated from the quantity of gas supplied; and

(b) if, in making the calculation referred to in sub-paragraph (a), an adjustment is made in relation to a Temperature and Pressure Conversion Factor, details of that adjustment.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    Allow me.... from the Gas Supply Licence....

I am obliged :)

Re-checking the bill in preparation to make an enquiry to Ebico, I now notice the calculation labeled "For example:" (which I thought was just illustrative) does in fact contain CV and VC values which produce the right kWh's for the volume of gas used.

It is debateable whether condition 31.4(b) has been properly complied with (it might just be a lucky coincidence the numbers included in the 'example' fit) but I'm not going to to argue the point with them this time round.

Thanks again for your quick help Hengus. :)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Was your previous bill based on an actual reading, or an estimate?

Mine just details usage in the last quarter, and notes on the first page the value of the previous bill, the payment made, and the new charges.

My previous bill was estimated, over estimated by quite a lot, so I sent new readings and they sent me an amended bill based on that. So I paid it.

What bugs me is that they send me a letter asking for readings because they are preparing a bill. I add my readings on a regular basis, they only have to look at my page and use the last readings I sent. I am trying to help them by keeping everything up to date, but still they drag their heels by asking for readings and taking ages to then send the bill. Seems a barmy way of running a business.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ilona wrote: »
    My previous bill was estimated, over estimated by quite a lot, so I sent new readings and they sent me an amended bill based on that. So I paid it.

What bugs me is that they send me a letter asking for readings because they are preparing a bill. I add my readings on a regular basis, they only have to look at my page and use the last readings I sent. I am trying to help them by keeping everything up to date, but still they drag their heels by asking for readings and taking ages to then send the bill. Seems a barmy way of running a business.

That's odd then. I've had bills where they've gone back several quarters recalculating the charges, but only when I've had a long run of estimated bills which are quite a way out, and then finally provided an up to date reading.

TBH it doesn't bother me too much if anyone wants to take ages to send me a bill... it just gives me more time before I have to pay it ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Provided the actual meter reading that is provided is greater than the previous estimated reading then, mathematically, it doesn't matter whether the supplier re-calculates the charges from the last actual or last estimated reading.
  • hehoho
    hehoho Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2018 at 4:38PM
    Still having problems with Ebico Zero's admin.

The company does not accept cheques.

I'm a very low user, especially of gas (~£40 per year) because I don't use the central heating.

The October bill was estimated despite my having submitted readings.
    Same again in December, when the estimate was for 150% of my annual consumption.

I am about to start on a battle to get my money back.

Also looking for a new supplier of electricity, even if I have to pay more.

Absolutely dreadful!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport