PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlady selling house - agency pushing for Contractual Periodic Tenancy

124»

Comments

• Bimbly
    Bimbly Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It's a real sellers' market locally and we're not having much luck with finding houses within our budget in the areas we would prefer. I've been receiving property alerts for a few years now to get a feel for what's available and new properties only crop up about once every couple of months and then they are snapped up instantly for well above asking price. We've had a few viewings cancelled due to places selling after the first view - very frustrating..
    Are you on estate agents lists for your area? When places come onto market in popular places they can sell BEFORE they hit Rightmove and the like. The agents will send out to interested parties on their lists first.

Could be an issue with your letting agent if they also do sales. If the sales / letting departments are fully separate it might not be an issue. Or get a friend / relative to sign up on your behalf.
  • BadAtHaggling
    BadAtHaggling Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2018 at 12:52AM
    Bimbly wrote: »
    Are you on estate agents lists for your area? When places come onto market in popular places they can sell BEFORE they hit Rightmove and the like. The agents will send out to interested parties on their lists first.

Could be an issue with your letting agent if they also do sales. If the sales / letting departments are fully separate it might not be an issue. Or get a friend / relative to sign up on your behalf.

Hi Bimbly, thanks for the advice. Yes we are on the lists of a number of local EAs but they haven't been much use unfortunately. I can only think of two properties that we were told about before they went online: one went on Rightmove the next day and would only allow block viewings on a particular day anyway so that wasn't helpful; and the other was a house that didn't meet any of our preferences at all - it was nowhere near any of the locations we had suggested and was about 50 grand over our maximum price! We've been surprised to not receive more help on that front but I think there's just a lot more demand than supply.

I think the lettings and sales teams of my current EA are in the same office/building unfortunately and we are in contact with both as they are selling the house for the LL alongside renting it to us.

We will do our best to avoid renting with them again (or buying through them) but if it becomes inevitable then I just hope I'm doing the right thing by avoiding the CPT. Time will tell I guess...
  • BadAtHaggling
    BadAtHaggling Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 21 June 2018 at 1:00AM
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Don't think the agent has actually spoken to the LL - they are probably doing what they like and taking no notice of what the LL wants and taking advantage of an 80 year old.

Hi D_M_E, I think they probably have spoken to her as I had a message before that saying they were trying to contact her but were having trouble reaching her. That situation is common as her and her husband spend a lot of the year in their second home in Spain (they're loaded) and rarely seem to answer the phone when out there - we've often had repairs delayed because of this and the contractors who know her (she prefers using people she knows to save money rather than EA contractors) agree she can be hard to get hold of.

I expect they just told her that the CPT offered more security and that we could leave with 1 month's notice on the SPT - she would have gone with whatever the EA recommended. Or maybe they said they don't permit SPTs, or didn't even mention the SPT and just asked if she was happy to proceed with the renewal fees for the CPT? I'm not sure exactly but yes, they will be taking advantage of her not knowing the facts about a SPT and emphasising the importance of a new printed contract. I just wish I could have a conversation with her about it but I think that's going to be impossible.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I think the lettings and sales teams of my current EA are in the same office/building unfortunately and we are in contact with both as they are selling the house for the LL alongside renting it to us.

We will do our best to avoid renting with them again (or buying through them) but if it becomes inevitable then I just hope I'm doing the right thing by avoiding the CPT. Time will tell I guess...
    Maybe I'm being a dunce but why avoid buying through them? You say there is a shortage of properties suitable for you to buy and that they have a lot of the market share. When buying I would go by the property regardless of the agent, it's not as if you re going to have an ongoing relationship with them.

Their priority is getting paid, that means selling and you are a genuine buyer.

That you will be at the end of the chain (as you have nothing to sell) makes you a valuable buyer so I don't think they will let niggles over your rental get in the way of a nice fat selling fee. Or possibly several fees if they are the selling agent for more than one property in the chain. That could easily be worth several even tens of thousands to them.

It may be if there are two equally proceedable buyers you get lower priority but that could happen in any case although if you submit your offer in writing they should pass it on the the vendor (unless below the amount the vendor has stipulated).

Obviously the fact that they are pushy may mean they want to flog you mortgage products but you can politely decline those.

I think what you need is a bit of confidence in yourself. The EA wants to earn with the least amount of hassle so they will be more interested in that than getting even with a supposed slight.

I hope it all works out well for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport