Using annual leave for emergency’s

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2018 at 12:59AM
    One thing that occurs to me. Have you asked whether the employer would consider compressed hours or annualised hours? Not all employers will offer it, but some might consider it even if it isn't formalised in policy - especially if you were to make a business case for it. Basically, either way it would mean that you work longer hours some days, or over more days, but you can then have more flexibility about the time that you don't want to be in work due to appointments. You might, for example, work a nine day fortnight and have the hospital appointment days as Non working days.

Employers are often more considerate of people who come to them with solutions rather than problems or demands. If toy can propose something that allows them to manager their business and you to take some of the time you need, you might find them more accommodating. At the moment you appear to be at an impasse. They are clearly, for one reason or another, unhappy about all the time off, and that is perfectly fair of them too feel that way. You can't or won't consider going part time which they might agree to, and which would enable them to recruit to the freed up hours. Someone had to blink first. And right now it has best be you. Because if they decide the situation has gone on too long, they may well decide that you are no longer employable. There are no free passes on employment for people with disabilities or their carers. In the end, even the most sympathetic employer is just an employer- their point of existence is about empliyeesb doing the job they are employed to do and not being elsewhere. Family or other responsibilities is not their business. Literally.
  • sangie595
    coolcait wrote: »
    Some organisations in the UK do have carer's leave policies which are separate from compassionate leave, parental leave etc.

My experience of these policies is exclusively in Scotland and in the public sector - widely defined.

It's always worth checking your own organisation's policies to see if it's in there.
    There is no such law in the UK. Which is what was being suggested. What an employer may do is up to them. And I would assume that the OP wouldn't be here asking for laws that support them if the employer permitted such leave.

You will also be aware that those policies most often also involve blocks of time off, or regular time off to fit business need. And can usually only be supported by the largest employers. To be regularly allowing regular appointments every two weeks, random periods of time whenever she's in hospital, and also annual leave etc - that's all a very large amount of time when the OP isn't working. As I said, employers employ people to work.

This isn't about being unsympathetic. It is about being realistic.
  • coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    sangie595 wrote: »
    There is no such law in the UK. Which is what was being suggested. What an employer may do is up to them. And I would assume that the OP wouldn't be here asking for laws that support them if the employer permitted such leave.

You will also be aware that those policies most often also involve blocks of time off, or regular time off to fit business need. And can usually only be supported by the largest employers. To be regularly allowing regular appointments every two weeks, random periods of time whenever she's in hospital, and also annual leave etc - that's all a very large amount of time when the OP isn't working. As I said, employers employ people to work.

This isn't about being unsympathetic. It is about being realistic.

Not everyone knows about all of their employer's policies. That's why a standard - and sensible - response on this board, to all sorts of queries, is 'check your employer's policy/your conditions of service.

I'm well aware of the way that carer's leave policies work. I've explained them enough times. Including to managers who didn't know that it was their organisation's policy!

Carer's leave is finite, and has restrictions just as any other kind of leave does.

But anyone in the OP's position should check if their employer has a policy on carer's leave, rather than rule out asking because there has been a confusion between "Is there such a law in the UK?" and "Is there such a policy in my organisation?"

The person may not be able to get carer's leave; if they do get it, it may not be the solution to all their problems.

However, in some organisations it is an option, and I believe people should be encouraged to make sure that they are aware of all the options available to them, so that they can explore those options with their managers.
  • sangie595
    That is certainly true. And since multiple posts including the very first reply to this thread said exactly that - check your employment terms - then one assumes that the OP was not foolish enough to not bother to do so! So your "standard and sensible" approach had been covered in post #2 and others. Thus people are quite sensibly assuming that the OP is accurately interpreting what their employer had told them - that they must take holiday.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you asked the hospital if appointments could be first thing in the morning/later afternoon? I have found children services to be as flexible as they can be when parents work and this impacts on their working shifts, but of course that's if the treatment can be offered at another time.
  • How awful, the company I work for let’s us take time off unpaid for all sorts of reasons.. Even to go on holiday !
    Different services.. different situations I guess. Times money, but if your a good employee the employer should be looking at solutions not just to fire you! It’s lazy and unethical for situations like that. I guess it depends how long you’ve been with the company too
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 19 June 2018 at 3:52PM
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Really? Another example of ACAS asserting things that are really not accurate. They must get as many people fired as they solve!

As you have been told, there is only a right to unpaid leave too arrange for emergency care or urgent situation - not to spend two days in a hospital with your child, no matter what reason they are there. So the employer doesn't have to give you this time at all - paid or annual leave. They only have to allow you time to make suitable arrangements and return to work.

There is also a right to unpaid parental leave, which I suspect is what has confused the ACAS contact centre staff. Parental leave must be taken in blocks of time, and you are required to give at least 21 days notice of taking it.

Whatever ACAS had told you, either you have misunderstood or they are wrong. Do not go in to your employer and demand a right you don't have, or you may find that it had the effect of them becoming less flexible, not more. You need to discuss this situation and negotiate, but in the end they have the upper hand - they aren't required to arrange work around your family.

By the way, there is no such thing as registered disabled. Hasn't been for decades.

For parents of disabled children, parental leave can be taken without it being in a block. However, the 21 days notice should still be given. https://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/can-i-take-time-off-work-for-my-childs-medical-or-other-appointments/

ETA: https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/family-friendly-work/parental-leave-unpaid/i-am-parent-disabled-child-what-are-my-rights

Page 3: https://www.usdaw.org.uk/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=57175cb8-a4bf-4668-b3ab-2a95f56f7b54

https://www.gov.uk/parental-leave/entitlement
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Justjosh9 wrote: »
    How awful, the company I work for let’s us take time off unpaid for all sorts of reasons.. Even to go on holiday !
    Different services.. different situations I guess. Times money, but if your a good employee the employer should be looking at solutions not just to fire you! It’s lazy and unethical for situations like that. I guess it depends how long you’ve been with the company too

Most companies need staff to run. Many employees are indispensable. They cannot just 'let them go off on holiday' unpaid because they need them to work...

Its neither lazy nor unethical for a company to expect their employees to do the job they are employed to do on the contracted hours they signed up to.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If your company are willing, going part time can be quite a small reduction in hours and pay. Working 90% of full time and not working one day a fortnight might help with the regular appointments.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants

You should be able to take unpaid time for emergencies but how much time is dependent on the circumstances. Your employer can also expect your husband to share the responsibility - I know you mentioned he does some - is he doing as much as half of the emergency care?

I agree that looking into whether you can work more flexible hours to make up some of the time, might be a way forward, but the employer doesn't have to agree if it wouldn't work for the business.
    https://www.gov.uk/flexible-working
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure