Gutted - how did it happen?

13»

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Katapolt wrote: »
    well, i dont really see why all our finances should meld into one, but maybe thats just me. we have a joint account, of which we both put into for all the thigns we need that are a joint responsibility, but the rest we keep for our personal responsibilities.

I think thats partly due to the fact i wont let my OH help. I feel like everything should be equal, so i worked my butt off to get as close as i could to an equal part of the house deposit, and i feel i need to put in half the budget for the wedding too. He has very different ideas and doesnt care tbh, he will pay and help and has no concerns, but i think its a pride thing on my part.
    Having separate finances works ok if you both earn the same. Part of the reason for the mess you are in though is you are over committed mortgage wise. If you had applied for a mortgage on your own salary you would not have been permitted to borrow 50% of your mortgage on your current salary. Pride or not this is what is causing you problems both in terms of not meeting outgoings and not being able to save for a wedding. If you don't address the imbalance between what you and your DP put into joint household finances he will get richer and you will get further into debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure