Redundancy role closed and new role created - so do I need to carry on my old duties?

andreald1901
andreald1901 Posts: 1 Newbie
I am being made redundant following a restructure in the civil service where my roles as marketing lead for a large team has been downgraded and is therefore closed and a new role created. The role is not at my grade and I am unable to apply for it (I actually don't mind going at all). However, despite saying they will put in an interim noting is happening and I am carrying on with my job
The restructure affects the whole team and the team moving from the business to a central marketing team for whom I have never worked or been managed by.
DO I have to carry on doing the job? or should the tasks now go to the new team management? Am i at liberty to agree a date by which I cease to do the role, regardless of interim. I am not hiring any of the new team... advice welcome

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Have you been issued any formal notice of redundancy?

What would you propose doing until your actual date of redundancy if you don't carry on with your current work?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Until you are made, you are not redundant. So you carry on working for your employer, and if they say that you carry on with the same responsibilities for now, then that is what you need to do. Simply because your role may be gone does not mean you will be made redundant. Until such time as your notice period ends, you are still employed and notice can be rescinded by the employer if a suitable alternative position becomes available.

It is also still possible to be disciplined or dismissed if you refuse to carry out the reasonable instructions of the employer, and carrying on with the duties you already have is reasonable.
  • Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Personally if it were me, I'd go to work,smile,do what I'm told to do and wait for the cheque.

Then I'd take the cheque,smile, and never do what they told me to do again.
    Space available for rent
  • hawkis
    hawkis Posts: 78 Forumite
    I have a similar query to this which seems unclear to me.
    On Monday (in five days) it will be confirmed that my job is being made redundant.
    Does the job become redundant on Monday or will it become redundant at the end of my notice period?
    And if it does become redundant on Monday and I work my notice period, am I right to assume that they can't make me do the job that has been made redundant?
    I will work my entire notice period if necessary but if I find a job, they have said that I can go at any time.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Simple. You do as your employer asks if you wish to be paid. So you don't refuse to do the work your employer gives you. The point of redundancy for the role is moot.
  • hawkis
    hawkis Posts: 78 Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Simple. You do as your employer asks if you wish to be paid. So you don't refuse to do the work your employer gives you. The point of redundancy for the role is moot.

I will continue to work for as long as I am there and do whatever work they ask me to. I wasn't implying that I would refuse to do any work my employer asks me to do. Apologies if that's how it came across.

To be clear, my question is: assuming my job is made redundant on Monday, can I can be asked to continue doing a job that no longer exists?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure