Credit card claim

Hi, I am aware that claims can be made for charges and interest on pay day loans, when proper credit checks have not been carried out, but I was wondering if you can make these claims in respect of credit cards? Barclays issued me with a credit card in 2000 without me requesting the same or applying for one. It was issued to me through the post when I opened my student bank account. Not only did they not carry out any affordability checks, they were aware that I was a student with no income. Is anyone able to tell me if I can claim interest and charges on this card? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Billybob4 wrote: »
    Barclays issued me with a credit card in 2000 without me requesting the same or applying for one. It was issued to me through the post when I opened my student bank account.
    It was your own choice whether to use it, though.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, I am aware that claims can be made for charges and interest on pay day loans, when proper credit checks have not been carried out, but I was wondering if you can make these claims in respect of credit cards? Barclays issued me with a credit card in 2000 without me requesting the same or applying for one. It was issued to me through the post when I opened my student bank account. Not only did they not carry out any affordability checks, they were aware that I was a student with no income. Is anyone able to tell me if I can claim interest and charges on this card? Thank you in advance.

Even if you had no income a CC would be beneficial for your future credit rating if you spent on it and repaid in full, taking advantage of section 75 protection, interest free period etc. If you chose to spend on it and not pay it back in full, that was your choice. You will not be able to complain about interest and charges.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Not only did they not carry out any affordability checks, they were aware that I was a student with no income.

And that is a problem?

Did you not have any grant or parental support?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dunstonh yes, I think it is a major problem. I had no grant and they knew nothing of the financial circumstances of my parents. They only knew I had no income. I find it highly irresponsible.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dunstonh yes, I think it is a major problem. I had no grant and they knew nothing of the financial circumstances of my parents. They only knew I had no income. I find it highly irresponsible.

It was perfectly normal for banks to open student accounts with credit cards. You consider it irresponsible, that's fine but spending money that you didn't have without a way to repay it is also irresponsible, you were 18+ thus an adult with the responsibilities and duties that entails. I had a credit card when I was 18 and at university, I have never paid a penny of interest to the banks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Dunstonh yes, I think it is a major problem.

Its not.
    I had no grant and they knew nothing of the financial circumstances of my parents.

So, you became a student with no money to support yourself during your studies. How did you manage to buy food and other things?
    I find it highly irresponsible.

The fact is that some people lack self control whilst the majority do not. The cards were usually issued as a way to facilitate spending and typically had very low limits. They gave you a card with a small lending limit on it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They only knew I had no income. I find it highly irresponsible.
    So put your "case" to the Bank, explaining how they somehow forced you to use this credit card even though you were apparently living on fresh air at the time.

Expect any such "complaint" to be given short shift, however.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure